Recording to DAT -- what should I get?
Sep 24, 2002 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

DanG

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm likely going to be joining a band soon and have been itching just to be able to record my own solo acoustic/vocal songs again since my old ratshack mic got smashed too much for me to want to look at anymore. I've decided I want to get a good recording set-up which should be relatively transportable, but has no need to be portable.

A recent stereophile talked about recording from powered Mic to an A/D converter to a DAT deck (which apparently gives equivalent sound quality to portable DATs for much lower price). What would you guys recommend for these three components? A friend of mine is in Japan and can bring stuff back from there about Christmas-time. I guess that means that Sony and Audio-Technica stuff can be had cheaper.

I'd like to spend no more than $500 overall, with an A/D converter being of least priority (I could use the one in the DAT machine for now, right?). The mic can be either binaural or a single stereo mic. The stereo option might be best for now just because it's easier to deal with, I think. Thanks for the help!

Sep 24, 2002 at 4:38 PM Post #2 of 6
And by the way I'm not really interested in MD right now... I have one and it just hasn't been too great for recording stuff (yes, it's a Sony, I know).

Sep 24, 2002 at 5:35 PM Post #3 of 6
Hey Dan,

For Mics check out this site: www.soundprofessionals.com

Maybe they'll have something thats good, their very well known with stealth tapers
biggrin.gif

If you do copy your live material, i'd love to get cdr copies of it, if possible.

Sep 25, 2002 at 2:41 AM Post #4 of 6
I ordered their SP-TFB-2 in ear Binaural microphone and record on my R-900 MD recorder with good results. When played back through my HP-1s , the sound is VERY real.

Sep 25, 2002 at 5:54 AM Post #5 of 6
Thanks both for your help.

The problem with MD is that I wouldn't just be playing back through the player, but the main idea would be to transfer to computer and edit the file. DAT records uncompressed data (at 20 bits, in fact, I believe) and can more easily be transferred to computer with no loss in quality, as I understand, using the four extra bits as dither.

Now I'm talking about technical stuff that I don't really completely understand anyway. G, the band I'll be auditioning for this weekend has had some (semi-)pro recordings of their work done, so if we get CDs then I'll be happy to send you one. Again, since stealth won't be a problem (unless I object to me recording myself) the Sound Professionals options don't seem to be the best -- and I can get Audio-Technica mics from my friend in Japan as I said.

Ugh it's too early/late to think. Anyway to recap... I really don't want to use my MD and would be most interested in what DAT deck and stereo microphone to get -- placing binaurals would be difficult if I'm one of the musicians. So if you guys could recommend especially Japanese-made DAT recorders and mics... thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 25, 2002 at 6:07 AM Post #6 of 6
As far as i know i've only seen Tascam and Sony's around, i usually check out ebay as there are many portables and decks for sale. Funny thing is that it seems the decks go for cheaper over the portables. Also, since the dave matthews band allows open taping, many tapers use Sony portable dat's and i've seen one guy use a freaking laptop to record the shows to (at least thats what i got from reading the text file, i didn't see a dat model listed). If you want, i can go thru the text files and jot down the models they use. Let me know, plus, i'd love a copy of a show you tape. I'll gladly send some dmb soundboard shows so you can give those a listen as a reference maybe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back