1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Recording Mic Outputs from Radio Headset

1. petrolhead48
    Hi All,

First post here and I'm after a little bit of advice please.

I have a need to record the microphone outputs from a mic, speaker and PTT headset that I am using with handheld 2-way radios (Baofeng BF-888s). The headset has a Kenwood K1 style connector (which has both a 3.5mm TRS jack and a 2.5mm TRS jack) which currently connects straight in to the radio. Diagram of the connector here:

[​IMG]

As well as using the headset mic to transmit through the radio with, I want to also record the mic outputs. I am planning on using a simple PCM recording app on my smartphone, but this requires a normal 3.5mm jack input.

My initial thinking was to use a splitter with a female Kenwood K1 socket that splits in to a male Kenwood K1 plug (to go in to the radio) and a 3.5mm jack (to go in to the phone), but after searching low and high I can't find anything like this.

My second thought was to find a 3.5mm splitter (one female in to two males), plug one in to the smart phone and one in to the suitable port on the radio. At the same time use a 2.5mm extender (one female in to one male) and plug this straight in to the suitable port on the radio.

Any thoughts / advice would be much appreciated.