Record Player: Where to Start?
Mar 5, 2012 at 5:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Abovetheair

100+ Head-Fier
I am getting into buying more and more records. Problem is:
I don't have a record player

Now in this case I need to know what would be something I can start with for maybe around $100 and upgrade the stylus?

I was looking at a $75 Audio Technica set up: http://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT-PL60-Automatic-Driven-Turntable/dp/B002GYTPAE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330985888&sr=8-1
Would this be good for a beginner, and would I be able to upgrade everything in it over time?

I have heard some say go vintage and others say not to? So if I was to go vintage what should I look for in the player?

Thanks,
Above

Mar 5, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #2 of 7

Quote:
I am getting into buying more and more records. Problem is:
I don't have a record player

Now in this case I need to know what would be something I can start with for maybe around $100 and upgrade the stylus?

I was looking at a $75 Audio Technica set up: http://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT-PL60-Automatic-Driven-Turntable/dp/B002GYTPAE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330985888&sr=8-1
Would this be good for a beginner, and would I be able to upgrade everything in it over time?

I have heard some say go vintage and others say not to? So if I was to go vintage what should I look for in the player?

Thanks,
Above

I suggest you go vintage with that budget

Apr 7, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #4 of 7
 did that guy even give you an answer? That was kind of a dihk move.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Denon-DP-15F-Quartz-Turntable-Record-Player-Vintage-Excellent-Condition-/330690090960?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item4cfeaa57d0

Apr 9, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #6 of 7
Most turntables don't plug straight in to an amp; they don't output line levels.  They require conversion to line levels by a phono stage.  It's more than just an amp, and you'll probably need one.

If your system has phono inputs, it has a phono stage built in that will do to get you started.  If not, you'll need one.

I've had good luck using vintage integrated receivers; they have a good phono stage, and usually a pretty good headphone out.  Speakers, too, if that's what you want.  They're easily available on Craigslist or ebay for reasonable prices.

Some folks here will suggest really spendy phono stages, and I'm sure they're lovely.  A $100 turntable does not need a $500 phono stage!  Don't think you need to spend a fortune to get started with some quality.  The late-1960's, and 1970's made fine gear that's extremely affordable today.

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #7 of 7
If you don't want to do craigeslist and don't want to deal with vintage table I have a suggestion. I was looking for a cheap entry table that also sounded pretty good. I found the Stanton t-52b. It normally for about 250, but i was able to get it used for about 80. It arrived and I realized the first owner never even set the thing up so it was a new table basically. To the main point though, the sound was really very good and the table build quality was top notch. I used it for about 3 weeks before I decided that I wanted to step up my game, so I moved up to a music hall mf2.2. While the music hall does sound better then the t-52, the t-52 sounded great. It was clean, dynamic, and fun to listen to. You can find them on Amazon used for the same price I paid, or if you want I still have mine and if you want to pm me we could possibly work out a deal as well. Either way though I highly recommend the stanton after using it.

Oh one other thing, it does require a phono amp, you can get an ok one for about 40 dollars.

hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back