Record flattening service?
May 3, 2008 at 12:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

HiGHFLYiN9

Member of the Trade: Zynsonix
So I know there's some record flattening devices out there, I've seen a couple of different ones in the Music Direct catalog for a pretty penny ($1899+). I know I couldn't hope to buy something like this, and even if I could, I only have a few warped records.

I was wondering if anyone here knew of a facility that offers record flattening service that I could mail my problem records to.

May 3, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #2 of 14
YES! You can do it yourself with two heavy sheets of glass. Put the record in between and leave it out in the bright sun for the entire day. Bring inside and let it cool overnight. BOO-YA!!!! Flat record!!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

May 3, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #3 of 14
That's the ticket, but make sure you use polished plate glass, as thick as you can find [within reason], and make sure it is clean and smooth before you use it. Do a few trials with LP's from the bargain bin.

May 3, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #4 of 14
May 3, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #7 of 14
You'd want glass and it's not terribly expensive. Visit your local glass shop and get a couple thick pieces of float glass, enough to cover a record.

May 4, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'd want glass and it's not terribly expensive. Visit your local glass shop and get a couple thick pieces of float glass, enough to cover a record.

Gotcha, guess I'll be making a trip to Clark's Do-It Center to see what they have. Thanks for the great advice everyone!!

May 5, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #10 of 14
2nd on using actual glass. It will have ceramic properties where acrylic will have plastic properties (as it's a plastic). Shouldn't be too hard to find, and it definitely works nicely.

May 6, 2008 at 11:35 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What if it were winter and there were no bright sun. Could you do it in the oven at 100 degrees?

Yes but I find this to be too risky.

I would use a blow dryer instead set on high. Either that or put a halogen bulb over it for about 4 hours.

May 6, 2008 at 11:52 AM Post #14 of 14
As another option, you might consider using a peripheral record clamp. I've tried various techniques with plate glass, sun, ovens at 120 degrees (F), etc. None really worked well, and I was always worried about damaging record grooves in the process. I bought a peripheral clamp five years ago and had no more trouble with warped LPs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back