Record Cleaning Necessity?
Jun 21, 2005 at 9:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Aman

Headphoneus Supremus
Okay, this is the last thread I will make on RCMs, I swear!
biggrin.gif

Simple question (audio asylum was no help
frown.gif
) - if I were to NOT clean my records with the record cleaning machine, just to do the dry clean and the occasional wet clean with my Bugg juice, will I be risking any sort of damage to the record? Or can the ticks and pops due to the absense of a machine be fixed once I receive one?

The reason is because I know I can live without one, since I have for this long - but if it will cause harm to my records to not have one otherwise, I will look for a used machine - but I would really prefer to get it from Todd if it wasn't going to cause any permenant damage.

So will something like that be fixable? Thanks!
-Andrew

Jun 22, 2005 at 1:11 AM Post #2 of 16
Many people have said that a thorough cleaning with the Disc Doctor brushes and either Disc Doctor or RRL fluid could be comparable to a VPI machine cleaning. The real advantage of the latter is convenience. A cheaper alternative to the Disc Doctor brush is offered by Music Direct. The cost of this brush and a bottle of fluid will be far less than a machine.

Jun 22, 2005 at 1:15 AM Post #3 of 16
To the question of potential damage, I can't offer any solid evidence either way. I do know that the results of vacuum cleaning are highly variable. Noise can result from the type of pick-up used or the degree of wear the cartridge has undergone. It can be inherent in the pressing and this is pretty surely the case if the record in question appears as clean and reflective as I'm certain most of your records do. Or cleaning really could help. I find that a record that needs and will benefit in a profound way from a good scrub will be visible to you next to a new pressing or a softly handled '70s-vintage Columbia. If you get into thrifting and hitting garage sales, you'll want an RCM, but for now it seems to me like you are doing alright.

NGF

Jun 22, 2005 at 4:31 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by bln
Many people have said that a thorough cleaning with the Disc Doctor brushes and either Disc Doctor or RRL fluid could be comparable to a VPI machine cleaning. The real advantage of the latter is convenience. A cheaper alternative to the Disc Doctor brush is offered by Music Direct. The cost of this brush and a bottle of fluid will be far less than a machine.

Doesn't the vacuum really help the cleaning process, though?

Quote:

If you get into thrifting and hitting garage sales, you'll want an RCM, but for now it seems to me like you are doing alright.

Well I just scored on about 1,000 or so LPs from a friend that hadn't played then in a decade - and I do go to garage sales on Saturdays when I'm free to check out what's on sale... I guess just the fact that I can clean so many at a time is what makes the price so much? Or does the vacuum really make a big difference? Like you said, it can vary, but I have lots of new records too and lots of 70's Columbia pressings and I find that both of them really thrive when I use my Buggtussel fluid on them - hell, even my old RCA pressing of Jefferson Airplane's "After Bathing at Baxter's" lost some of its ticks and pops after using the Bugg juice - but I suppose REAL cleaning fluid and a REAL cleaning method may help (besides the whole use 1 brush to move the fluid and 1 brush to remove it method).

Is it dependent on the number of LPs you own? Because right now I'm nearing 3-4 thousand.

Jun 22, 2005 at 4:49 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
Doesn't the vacuum really help the cleaning process, though?

Yes, it removes the contaminated fluid from the surface of the record.
Quote:

Well I just scored on about 1,000 or so LPs from a friend that hadn't played then in a decade - and I do go to garage sales on Saturdays when I'm free to check out what's on sale...

In my opinion, more reason to invest in a quality system. Quote:

I guess just the fact that I can clean so many at a time is what makes the price so much? Or does the vacuum really make a big difference?

See my comment above. Quote:

Is it dependent on the number of LPs you own? Because right now I'm nearing 3-4 thousand.

Cleaning all of those records will be a daunting task even with a record vacuum. My collection is only at around 1500 and it took me months to do an initial cleaning of them all. I could only do around 20 at a time before I would need to take a break.

Jun 22, 2005 at 4:14 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT
Yes, it removes the contaminated fluid from the surface of the record.
In my opinion, more reason to invest in a quality system.See my comment above. Cleaning all of those records will be a daunting task even with a record vacuum. My collection is only at around 1500 and it took me months to do an initial cleaning of them all. I could only do around 20 at a time before I would need to take a break.

Well I think that I would only clean the LPs when I want to play them anyway. no?

I mean.. I can't listen to 3-4 thousand LPs in one sitting, after all
biggrin.gif

I think that I will do is invest in a disc doctor system for now, and when I can afford better, I'll add a quality RCM to the mix to allow myself for both the qualities of Disc Doctor and vacuum cleaning.

Jun 23, 2005 at 2:11 AM Post #7 of 16
I think there is some controversy about this. For many years, I used just a felt brush on my records and most of them are still in fine shape.

Linn (a leading electronics and TT manufacturer) recommends NO cleaning except for brushing dust bunnies from the stylus when necessary!
eek.gif
eek.gif

Anyhow, I've got a VPI vacuum cleaner now and like it...

Jun 23, 2005 at 2:20 AM Post #8 of 16
I just saw your post at the VA.

You need to change your method of cleaning with your stylus still exhuming clods of dust. Record cleaning machine or not, you don't want to see that after each play.

NGF

Jun 23, 2005 at 2:22 AM Post #9 of 16
Well I just discovered the Record Doctor III is now for sale at AudioAdvisor - I am not in the correct wealth class to be owning a VPI machine anyway, being a student and all
biggrin.gif
I think that the RD3 would be a good place to start, and with the Disc Doctor formula, I'm told, I really can't go wrong.

It's only 220 bucks or something for a brand new unit, too, which is great.
smily_headphones1.gif

I really can't stand watching my stylus trail dirt and dust bunnies with it every time it plays a record. It makes me cringe every time
wink.gif
I am getting the machine, even if I could do better.

Thanks for the help guys! I will be ordering tomorrow (maybe)
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 23, 2005 at 5:27 PM Post #10 of 16
Aman,
take a look into the KAV-1 from KABUSA. add $30 for a small ShopVac from Home Depot.

Skoal,
Corey

Jun 26, 2005 at 5:22 AM Post #12 of 16
Record cleaning is not necessary.

Altho, for older moldy records, it is better to vacuum clean them before you ruin your cartridge.

I've done the AB with the vpi cleaning machine. No doubut that using it before you play lowe the noise floor and enhances clarity even on a new record.

When I was younger, I was rigorous in cleaning record using Dischwasher type of fluid and Zerostat and all that. This type of cleaning method can be deadly to a record since you are grinding a dirt with a wet liquid into the groove. I have many old recodrs with pristine condition yet it's virtually unlistenable now.

Dust sat on the surface of the record is harmless for most part and the surface noise can be virtually non existant so long as groove is clean.

Persoanly, i like the Rega method of cleaning. i.e. leave the dust on a needle and remove it when you see a dust ball.
icon10.gif

Luckily, most of my records are new releases.

Only thing i use is the Zerodust for a cartridge from Japan.

Jun 26, 2005 at 11:38 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blooze
but what would be a good starter setup for cleaning?

I would recommend the Orbitrac 2 by Allsop. Inexpensive, and does a good job for a non-vacuum system.

Jun 27, 2005 at 1:34 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT
I would recommend the Orbitrac 2 by Allsop. Inexpensive, and does a good job for a non-vacuum system.

Thanks JMT. I've seen that and wondered if it would be a suitable starting point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back