Recommended Upgrade IEM for LCD-3 and SE535 Lover?
Apr 5, 2018 at 7:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Phronesis

Headphoneus Supremus
I really like my SE535 and LCD-3, and find the sound signature to be somewhat similar to LCD-3, except that the LCD-3 has stronger bass and better detail. What I like about both is the general smoothness of the sound, the realism of acoustic instruments, and the lack of tendency towards fatigue.

I'm tempted to upgrade to the SE846, but would appreciate recommendations regarding what a suitable upgrade from the SE535 is. Budget is roughly $1500, but it would be nice the keep the cost below $1000.

For DACs, I currently have the Dragonfly Red, Chord Mojo, and Hugo 2.

Apr 7, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #4 of 16
Many people say that the Campfire Audio Andromeda sounds better than the SE846 and even their higher priced Vega, so check it out here:

https://www.aloaudio.com/shop/andromeda/

Take a look at the 64 Audio range of IEM's, they all have a wonderfully smooth, non fatiguing sound that is highly resolving.

From reading some of the threads, Campfire Audio did emerge as one of the main options. I also saw the good reviews for 64 Audio, though their universals start at $2K, and I'm thinking that I should avoid spending that much on an IEM until I have more experience with this stuff.

If I get the SE846, I'm fairly confident that I'll be happy with it, and ordering through Amazon provides a return option, just in case. How common is it for people to purchase expensive IEMs based on reviews and recommendations, without trying them, and with no return option? I see that Campfire does offer a 15-day return option with 20% restocking fee.

Apr 7, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #5 of 16
From reading some of the threads, Campfire Audio did emerge as one of the main options. I also saw the good reviews for 64 Audio, though their universals start at $2K, and I'm thinking that I should avoid spending that much on an IEM until I have more experience with this stuff.

If I get the SE846, I'm fairly confident that I'll be happy with it, and ordering through Amazon provides a return option, just in case. How common is it for people to purchase expensive IEMs based on reviews and recommendations, without trying them, and with no return option? I see that Campfire does offer a 15-day return option with 20% restocking fee.

Well, there are quite a lot of happy people who choose the CA Andromeda, but there are used ones that do pop up every so-often, typically coming up around the minus-restocking fee as the used price. I thought that you were intending to keep the SE535, so you would want something outside of the Shure house sound (SRH840 and SE846 sound very much alike within their respective form factor). Of course, you can get the SE846 and return it from not liking it, minus the restocking fee.

Apr 7, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #6 of 16
Sell the 535’s and maybe the LCD 3’s and get the LCD i4’s. They are awesome.

Apr 7, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #7 of 16
Well, there are quite a lot of happy people who choose the CA Andromeda, but there are used ones that do pop up every so-often, typically coming up around the minus-restocking fee as the used price. I thought that you were intending to keep the SE535, so you would want something outside of the Shure house sound (SRH840 and SE846 sound very much alike within their respective form factor). Of course, you can get the SE846 and return it from not liking it, minus the restocking fee.

Sell the 535’s and maybe the LCD 3’s and get the LCD i4’s. They are awesome.

If I got the SE846, it would probably make sense to sell the SE535 (or give away to a family member). But there's some appeal to getting something other than the SE846 and keeping the SE535, to get a different house sound.

I listen both at home and at work. At home, the LCD3 is my default choice, and I can deal with the weight. At work, I need something more inconspicuous, so a good IEM is the only option. The LCD i4 intrigues me, but if I didn't prefer the sound over the LCD3, I'm not sure where I'd use it.

Apr 7, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #8 of 16
Haven’t heard the 846’s but have heard the Noble K10 Encores, Campfire Andromeda’s, JHA Layla’s Empire Ears Zues and would pick the LCD i4’s the 64 Audio Tia Fourte might be an exception they are that good.

Apr 8, 2018 at 1:53 AM Post #10 of 16
I did not hear them but as interesting options seems to be also Orioulus Reborn it seems like both are greatly rated in this category Andromeda as balanced easy like and Reborn as warmer option. As regards i4, I tried only i20 and nozzle was so big that was very hard for me to get it even to my ears, i4 sound will be sure great. But without listening it is all shoots.. If I was you I would stick with over ear LCD and get some in ears.

Apr 10, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #11 of 16
I'm rethinking this and considering adding the i4. My primary IEM use is in the office, where I need something which is visibly low key, and doesn't leak too much sound out to the environment. Being isolated from outside noise isn't necessary, and actually is undesirable sometimes. If I can get something like the LCD3 sound (or better) out of the i4, and the i4 sound is superior to most other IEMs, i4 could be the right choice for my situation. I plan to demo it. Could still also add something like Campfire Andromeda for situations where I need isolation or want a different signature.

Apr 10, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #12 of 16
I'm rethinking this and considering adding the i4. My primary IEM use is in the office, where I need something which is visibly low key, and doesn't leak too much sound out to the environment. Being isolated from outside noise isn't necessary, and actually is undesirable sometimes. If I can get something like the LCD3 sound (or better) out of the i4, and the i4 sound is superior to most other IEMs, i4 could be the right choice for my situation. I plan to demo it. Could still also add something like Campfire Andromeda for situations where I need isolation or want a different signature.

If you want the LCD-i4 to sound like an LCD-3 and still be portable, you will have to get an ALO Continental Dual Mono, which will add even more costs:

http://www.aloaudio.com/shop/continental-dual-mono/

I also heard from reviews that, from the extra heat, you really should not put it in your pant pocket, though I am not sure about shirt pockets. A cheaper option is the Continental V5, but the extra heat dissipation is still needed:

https://www.aloaudio.com/shop/continental-v5/

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #13 of 16
If you want the LCD-i4 to sound like an LCD-3 and still be portable, you will have to get an ALO Continental Dual Mono, which will add even more costs:

http://www.aloaudio.com/shop/continental-dual-mono/

I also heard from reviews that, from the extra heat, you really should not put it in your pant pocket, though I am not sure about shirt pockets. A cheaper option is the Continental V5, but the extra heat dissipation is still needed:

https://www.aloaudio.com/shop/continental-v5/

I don't walk around, exercise, etc., with headphones and IEMs - am always sitting - so I don't really need portability, just transportability. Do you see any issue driving the i4 with the Hugo 2? That seems to be a popular combo. Doesn't need to sound like the LCD-3, just roughly similar quality. Some people have compared the i4 to the LCD4 rather than LCD3, so I'm hoping the i4 is quite good -- better be, considering the price!

Apr 10, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #14 of 16
I don't walk around, exercise, etc., with headphones and IEMs - am always sitting - so I don't really need portability, just transportability. Do you see any issue driving the i4 with the Hugo 2? That seems to be a popular combo. Doesn't need to sound like the LCD-3, just roughly similar quality. Some people have compared the i4 to the LCD4 rather than LCD3, so I'm hoping the i4 is quite good -- better be, considering the price!

I think that the LCD-i4 and Hugo 2 would be a great pairing, but if you want a LCD-3 sound, you will need a tube amp to cover the warm and vast soundstage with the LCD-i4. If you want the i4 to sound wonderfully detailed and exciting, which will be in some range of the LCD-3 but past the LCD-3 in clarity and detail, the Hugo 2 will definitely do that. If you want the i4 to sound like the LCD-3, which is vastly warm and exciting, get the ALO Continental Dual Mono or Continental V5.

Apr 10, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #15 of 16
I think that the LCD-i4 and Hugo 2 would be a great pairing, but if you want a LCD-3 sound, you will need a tube amp to cover the warm and vast soundstage with the LCD-i4. If you want the i4 to sound wonderfully detailed and exciting, which will be in some range of the LCD-3 but past the LCD-3 in clarity and detail, the Hugo 2 will definitely do that. If you want the i4 to sound like the LCD-3, which is vastly warm and exciting, get the ALO Continental Dual Mono or Continental V5.

Thanks, sounds like Hugo 2 + i4 will be a good place to start. For the sake of variety, I like the idea of the i4 sounding distinctively different from LCD-3. I agree with your characterization of the LCD-3 -- I think of it as a "juicy" headphone, and am often eager to listen to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back