Recommended Senn model for sampling the Senn sound?
Nov 6, 2005 at 7:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Azure

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm back...
smily_headphones1.gif

Okay, I know that my music preferences and everybody else's suggestions are all pointing to something fast and forward like the SA5k's, but I'd like to make sample both ends of the spectrum before making my decision. I figure that the Senns are about as opposite I can get from audio-technicas, so I'm thinking about getting a pair and testing them out. However, I have NO headphone amp and am using my Rio Karma as my source. With these in mind, which Senn model do you guys recommend for someone like me? I don't want to get X model, find out that I don't like it, and then have a million people tell me that I should have gotten the higher Z model because the X model doesn't do justice to the Senn sound. I also don't want to be told that I didn't like X model because I didn't use it with an amp (And then be told that I still didn't like the sound because I didn't use it with Y amp).

So, with all that in mind, which model do you guys recommend? I'm personally looking at the HD555's since they aren't that much more expensive than the A500s, are stylish (I find the HD580's to be rather ugly), and seem to be relatively easy to drive (50 ohm version). Is this a good choice? Think I'd be okay driving them straight out of my Karma's headphone jack? The only problem I see with them is that their older brother, the HD595's, are said to put you in the "front-row," giving the idea of a forward presentation (Which is supposed to be the opposite of the Senn sound).

Thanks for reading/having the patience to put up with me
biggrin.gif

Nov 6, 2005 at 7:06 AM Post #2 of 24
The 555 is a great (maybe the best) all-around choice at this price. It will work fine out of the Karma. The 555/595 isn't, however the traditional Senn sound - it really is rather more forward than that. The cheapest way to sample the Senn sound is the HD 580, around $150 street price. The 580 will almost certainly need an amp - I don't think the Rio is going to be sufficient. But properly amped, the 580 is an incredible bargain - closely resembling Sennheiser's newer reference models that cost two or three times as much.

I find that some of the closed cans - HD 201 and HD 280, at least - represent the overall tonal balance of the Senn HD 580/600/650 series pretty well, though they are nowhere near in overall soundstage or resolution.

Nov 6, 2005 at 7:38 AM Post #3 of 24
HD555's aren't the typical Senn sound? Darn, I was hoping you wouldn't say that. The HD580s are kind of expensive and seem to defiently require an amp (which I don't have and don't have the money to buy). Are there any cheaper alternatives to the HD580's? If not, then what is the cheapest amp I can get by with the HD580's?

Nov 6, 2005 at 8:35 AM Post #5 of 24
Heh, to clarify on budget:

I'm looking to spend between $100 and $200 TOTAL. That means that would include the cost of an amp or whatever else device I'd need.

Nov 6, 2005 at 9:35 AM Post #6 of 24
if you're getting an M3 for the Sa5ks that will drive the sennheisers just as well..

Nov 6, 2005 at 9:40 AM Post #7 of 24
You can squeeze a second hand pair of 580s and a _passable_ amp into $200, I think. Just barely.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 6, 2005 at 9:45 AM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazper
if you're getting an M3 for the Sa5ks that will drive the sennheisers just as well..

Eh...I think you misread my post. I'm getting the Senns to see if I'll like the signature and to make sure that I don't get the SA5k's without knowing that there's a better sound signature out there that I haven't tried. Thus, I'm going to get the Senns BEFORE the SA5k's AND the M^3, so I won't have an amp to drive the Senns.

Nov 6, 2005 at 10:11 AM Post #9 of 24
Straight out of the Rio Karma, no amp, budget between 100-200 USD, fast and forward?

HD201, best bang for the buck headphones performs well without amplification, like jagorev said, represent the overall Sennheiser sounding, with a hint of more forward, narrower soundstage.

Hope that helps,

Overlunge

Nov 6, 2005 at 10:20 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by overlunge
Straight out of the Rio Karma, no amp, budget between 100-200 USD, fast and forward?

HD201, best bang for the buck headphones performs well without amplification, like jagorev said, represent the overall Sennheiser sounding, with a hint of more forward, narrower soundstage.

Hope that helps,

Overlunge

Huh? I don't want fast and forward sound, I want the quintessence of the Sennhesier sound signature in a nice, affordable package.

Nov 6, 2005 at 10:55 AM Post #11 of 24
While one can argue about the "quintessential" Sennheiser sound (or any headphone manufacturers' house flavor for that matter) for eternity, IMO the HD580 is the Sennheiser statement that spawned the current generation of high-end Sennheiser. The company used the electrostatic HE90 headphone as a basic template (the oval shape of the cups and basically the headphone chassis/headband design) and distilled it into a reasonably affordable dynamic headphone that didn't require a special (and expensive) amplifier. The HD580 was a revelation at the time of its introduction, and its improved cousin, the HD600 (which was developed form the input of engineers in the form of the HD580 Jubilee) became a staple of the engineering world. The HD650 is simply a culmination of the same HD580 design with various enhancements (or changes depending on one's perspective). The HD201 is not a fair barometer of the Sennheiser sound - it's not smooth, refined or non-fatiguing, which are the hallmark characteristics of the Sennheiser world (though it's a great sealed headphone for under $50). The HD555 is also a very good headphone, but it's grainier than the HD580/600/650 and its midrange is course in comparison (and it can also be slightly fatiguing). My advice is to hunt out a used HD580 for ~$150 and an amplifier in the class of the PIMETA (or M³ if possible) - the HD580/600/650 is the official representative of the Sennheiser dynamic sound, IMO (the HE90 is another beast entirely, but it still exhibits that same Sennheiser musicality and is still very non-fatiguing, like the HD580 – it is a tad more costly, however).
orphsmile.gif

Nov 6, 2005 at 10:55 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
Huh? I don't want fast and forward sound, I want the quintessence of the Sennhesier sound signature in a nice, affordable package.

Re-read my post.

Sennheiser sound signature, checked. Nice affordable package, checked. Forward soundstage it might be, but I would not mention HD201 in the same sentance as fast.

Overlunge

Nov 6, 2005 at 4:42 PM Post #13 of 24
I'm surprised no one has suggested the HD-497. These have the signature Senn sound, can be driven by most personal music player without an additional amplifier, and sell online for way under the $70 suggested retail price.

Nov 6, 2005 at 5:30 PM Post #14 of 24
to me the 201 sounds nothing like the my 650. The pair i tried wound thin and slightly honky. If i were you, i'd go for HD580 which can be found at $128 . For a $200 budget, govibe ($69) might work fine, i have no experience with the combo though.

Nov 6, 2005 at 5:36 PM Post #15 of 24
Azure, your best bet for the classical Sennheiser sound is the HD580. Heck you can drive it from a DAP and still get a feel for its overall signature. Add an amp make it more dynamic and driven to its fullest potential, but the overall signature will be the same. Even a cmoy works. I used a cmoy with the HD600 and it sounded good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back