Recommended Power for Magnepan MMG
Aug 8, 2004 at 2:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

peter braun

500+ Head-Fier
Hello, what is the recommended amount of power for a pair of Magnepan MMGs? I remember the Maggie site saying that they suggested anything 50wpc or greater, but I have heard much higher estimates (100WPC +) from others. I see that a lot of people power them with 50wpc or so NAD integrateds, which seem to work just fine. I believe that my Sansui AU-517 integrated (65wpc) should at least equal the NADs in terms of muscle (the dual power supplys are massive) but I wanted to make sure that I did not underestimate the load that the Maggies may present. Thanks.

Aug 8, 2004 at 10:03 AM Post #2 of 9
Wattage isn't irrelevant, but it really depends on how loud your playing. Just because you have a 50 watt speaker doesn't mean you need a 50 watt amp.

The main factor in choosing an amp for a speaker is the synergy between the two, at least as is far as practical.

Aug 8, 2004 at 10:37 AM Post #3 of 9
In terms of power, the more the merrier. The 4 ohm load is of course important in choosing an amp and NAD is going to provide the most bang for the buck. But keep in mind the MMG's lack of sensitivity [86dB/500Hz /2.83v Impedance 4 Ohm]. I have monitors which are 85dB with a 150 watt power amp attached which I consider sufficient but frankly I wouldn't mind 200 or even 300 watts hooked up. If you can afford the new 150 watt NAD C372 I would get it. Or the older 120 watt C370 as a minimum. The cheapest big power route would be the C370 integrated & C270 power amp, both bridged to about 300 watts each. The maggies will sing!

http://www.nadelectronics.com/hifi_a...72_framset.htm

Aug 9, 2004 at 1:52 PM Post #4 of 9
My son has a pair of MMGs that he powers with a Dynaco ST70 and they sound nice, however we hooked them up to a Bryston 4B-ST and they just purred. They really do like lots of power to reach they're full dynamic potential but, as noted above, it's in direct relation to the listening volume.

Aug 9, 2004 at 6:52 PM Post #5 of 9
Like another member already pointed out, the more power the merrier
biggrin.gif

Most of the time when you listen at reasonable volumes, the actual power output is actually around 1 watt. It is only during those loud bass passages that the power requirement can go through the roof. That's why you need a hefty power reserve. Otherwise your amp will clip and the distortion will rip your speakers apart.

Those power dials are pretty cool.
biggrin.gif

Aug 9, 2004 at 7:04 PM Post #7 of 9
I would say minimum 100 watts Solid state, 75 watt tube power. Your music and sound levels will very. You will hear no slam for hip hop/rap if you have under 125 watts SS. A small room could get away with 75 watts, but the main issue is blowing the amp up. So, I guess you can do what ever you choose.

I have posted about this issue (mmgs) many times. Just search MMG
http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/searc...earchid=114329

Aug 12, 2004 at 7:28 PM Post #8 of 9
I have a pair myself which are set up in the living room for when my wife
wants to have music - she doesn't just sit and listen like we audiophools
do.

As others have said - the more power the better. I say again - the more
power the better. Let me suggest a used Bryston 3BST (or even a 3BSST,
but NOT a 3B) attached to your favorite tubed preamp on one end and
your maggies on your other. Crank the volume a bit and enjoy ... AND
nice thick speaker cables, minimum 14 awg, helps a lot too.

Mike

Aug 14, 2004 at 10:17 PM Post #9 of 9
I have owned three pairs of maggies (1B's,1C's, and 3C's) and they do sound much better with more power, as long as the more power amp is of the same sound quality as the lower power amp.

That said, you may find the Sansui to be a good match, if you arent looking to crank the volume.
(The "AU-" series gear is well made and nice sounding equipment, made when Sansui was a respected brand.)
Could be a nice combination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back