Recommended portable amp for RE0?
Dec 18, 2008 at 3:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Brabus9999

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

First off, let me say that I’ve already tried searching for a relevant thread on this subject but could not find any, which is kind of odd given the high praise that the RE0 received here. Actually, there was one thread that came pretty close, but the OP ended up not mentioning the RE0 at all in his conclusion, so that one doesn’t count.

I’m about to pull the trigger on a pair of RE0’s (my first pair of high quality IEMs), and even though Head Direct are including a FiiO E3 amp in the package (very generous of them IMO), I don’t think it’ll satisfy me for long. That’s why I’d like to get your recommendations for a portable amp that would pair well with the sonic signature of the RE0.

BTW, I don’t intend on decimating my wallet with this hobby (my other hobbies have done enough damage), so I’m capping the budget at $200. That said, the amps on my shortlist are 1) iBasso D3, 2) Corda HeadSix, and 3) Xin SuperMicro IV. What other amps would have good synergy with the RE0? I don’t really need a DAC, but if it’s included and still under budget then that’s fine.

I realize that the D3 is over my budget, but it’s not by much and from what I’ve read about its SQ vs. iBasso P3, I think it might be worth it. The issue of delayed delivery with the Xin really concerns me since patience is not one of my virtues; not sure if the situation has improved any.

Oh, almost forgot ... I listen to an eclectic mix of music from oldies (Beatles, Elvis, Engelbert Humperdinck), to brit rock (Keane, Oasis, The Script), and trance (Tiesto, Paul van Dyk, Armen van Buuren) just to name a few.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Gritt

Dec 18, 2008 at 4:33 AM Post #2 of 9
I'd care to guess that any of the amps listed in the ER4s suggested thread would work for you, but honestly I would try the FiiO first and see how you like it, but with and without the filter in your RE0.

Dec 19, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #3 of 9
Hi ZoNtO,

Thanks for the reply. I'm curious, why do you think the RE0 would pair well with the same amps as the ER4S? It is because both phones could use a boost in the bass department?

Gritt

Dec 19, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #4 of 9
Partly yes, and a lot of people feel they could use some warmth and a little less highs (the er4s I mean).

Just try the FiiO and go from there.

Dec 19, 2008 at 8:05 AM Post #5 of 9
I am of the opinion, especially with earbuds, that you should not need an amp. its just more crap to cary around. having said that, I had a Fiio e3, and it hissed a lot with my RE2. I am now a proud owner of the RE0, and I am awaiting a new Fiio e3 coming in a separate shipment. I feel that the bass on the RE0 is pretty nice, so I'm not sure the e3 is the answer, but we will see. I am actually much more interested in the E5, as it is still an amp, offering up some more power, but very small, and you can turn off the bass boost function. the only thing I would really look for at this point is for the amp to bring out the mids a bit.

Lastly, the RE0 is very new. so there has not been a lot of experimenting with amps and such yet. SO, take the bull by the horns, and let us all benefit from your experiments!!

Dec 20, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #6 of 9
Hi Keith,

I've been giving the issue of portability vs. performance (SQ) quite a bit of thought as well, and have come to the conclusion that if the RE0's SQ is pretty good straight from my Nano's HP out, then I probably will skip the amp altogether. If not, instead of adding an amp, I might opt to replace the Nano with a different DAP instead; the Sony's interest me.

Gritt

Dec 20, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #7 of 9
I can say that I honestly dont expect a home set up sound from my portable IEM set up. when your on the move with a portable setup, lots of things are taking away from your enjoyment of the music. I always see portable amps as something you use with full size cans. They may indeed give you the sound you want, but I dont want to go grocery shopping with my Denon 2000's on my head. so far, I am quite happy with the RE0 out of the touch. I will try the E3 when it comes, and I'm sure ill pick up an e5. but the only reason I would consider either, is because they are small, out of the way, and easy to use. all headphones like power, but..... anyway, I think that I'm repeating myself here. sorry bout that. I do not have experience with any other portable DAPs. The ease of the itunes interface makes me happy. I dont think I'm missing much of an improvement in sound. I am also interested in the e5, as it uses the line out on the ipod. we'll see how that goes.. I'll have more of a write up on the RE0 soon, if your interested.

Dec 21, 2008 at 7:44 AM Post #8 of 9
I agree that the iTunes GUI is very easy to use, and is the main reason why I ended up buying a Nano 4G after my Ipod Video ceased functioning. Apple really have a knack in designing intuitive user interfaces. I look forward to reading your thoughts regarding the RE0, since I am about to place an order for one as well.

Gritt

Jan 29, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #9 of 9
I just reviewed Head-direct RE0 canalphone and I like it very much. Review is here:
There is some recommendations on amping and synergy. With regards to the amps you listed: I prefer Pico and D3 over Supermicro. I beleive that Headsix or Move beats them all, but I can not check this right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back