recommended inexpensive meter
Sep 8, 2005 at 12:56 PM Post #16 of 34
THIS meter seems like a pretty good choice. Every feature under the sun (except for inductance) and its $60! Personally, I have had the luxury of having a lab at school, but I am slowly trying to build up my own equipment for when I have to go into the real world.
tongue.gif

Sep 8, 2005 at 6:06 PM Post #17 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by mono
FWIW, I have one derivative of that $3.99 meter. It is truely junk, the worse meter I have. This includes fragile tiny probes, odd/small battery that's awkward to replace, tiny display, and it's not very accurate either. Eariler yesterday I was measuring IDSS values for some JFETS and two different meters put one at 15.0-15.1 mA. The Mastech (labeled) $3 special measured 13.? mA (? meaning it doesn't have the precision to differentiate between 12.5 and 13.4) mA IF it had been accurate.

I have . . . three $6 centech's from harbor freight, and for volts & ohms I find they're plenty accurate.

Amps, not so much. One of them, well, there was a big spark and it doesn't do amps at all anymore, and volts are iffy. I should get rid of it.

9V battery is easy to replace. In fact so easy that the battery door will fall off every time you pick it up unless you tape it on.

Agreed that the probes are garbage. On the $6-$10 range they are bigger, and don't *look bad, but at some inopportune moment you will discover that there is no strain relief on the probe end of the leads, as the leads slide right out of the probes and leave you probeless.

Personally, I remedied that problem by, buying new probes for a few bucks. The Radioshack probes are adequate and cost as much as the meter, AllElectronics and other online vendors have reasonably durable cheap leads too. You can put clips on the ends of the old probe leads.

It all depends what you want to do with it. Like i said, I get to find out if the mastech kitchen sink meter is any good later today. I forget the model number.

I wanted inductance & capacitance & frequency counter, so, i went looking for it. I figure if it gives me the correct readings for known inductors and known clock sources and brand new 1% tolerance caps, that's Good Enough. for miliamps, I guess I'll have to compare it with a better meter.

Sep 8, 2005 at 9:08 PM Post #18 of 34
Now, I'm a metrologist, or measurement scientist. I work with meters all day every day.
I gotta tell you, Voodochile is right, it depends on how often you are gonna use it. But Cen-techs (and all their ilk) are.... CRAP! Total, complete, awful rubbish. They simply do not work. Rarely do they meet their own mile wide specs. Bah.
If you are gonna build high performance electronics, (and these amps are about as high performance a piece of analog gear ever designed, no kidding truly edge o' the stratosphere stuff) Buy a good meter. Or borrow one. Look on Ebay, you can get used Flukes for a great price.
If you think you are gonna match resistors with a $7 meter, just throw your parts in the trash now, save yourself some heartache.
Really, I'm not just making this up......
icon10.gif

Sep 8, 2005 at 10:07 PM Post #20 of 34
I got one of the $40 Cen-tech DMM's from Harbor Freight a while ago and haven't had any problems with it so far. It matches up well with my buddies Fluke when we compared.

Sep 9, 2005 at 3:41 AM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsavitsk
MeterTest.jpg

So, a disagreement of 2 mV out of 300 is good?
Look, I'm NOT saying that ya have to buy a $10K metrology meter for DIY electronics.
Wavetek Meterman, BTW, is owned by Fluke. They make some very decent meters @ a good price.
Leave Harbor Freight for drillbits

Sep 9, 2005 at 5:36 AM Post #22 of 34
Recently picked up a HP 3456A bench meter, 6.5 digits and a million functions i'm still finding (mostly maths and calculations stuff)
Was nice to find that my mid range 3.5 digit meter is in calibration down to only about 1/2 a count where it would round down on some figures when it should have rounded up but that should have been expected for what i paid for it

Sep 15, 2005 at 8:08 AM Post #23 of 34
Hi,

I would like also to have advices for a good multimeter.

I'm interested by the Wavetek Meterman 34XR and 37XR, and by the Fluke 111 and 112. These seem complete, and are in a pricetag I can afford (max 150 USD)

If you have experience, or know something about, or can point me to reviews, i e, any comments or advices welcome!

All the best,

GregVDS

Sep 15, 2005 at 11:00 AM Post #24 of 34
In our typical applications, consistency of reading is at least as important as accuracy of reading, presuming that the accuracy is at least reasonably close. A lot of (but NOT ALL) poor quality meters give inconsistent readings, even on the same resistor. Or they do not settle well, or they are often plagued with intermittent selector switches and jacks- my personal favorite reason for not liking them.

But do remember that you don't have to spend $150 on a meter to get something worthy. You probably have to spend $50 though. It is certainly possible to get a great meter for $20, but the odds are beginning to be stacked against you. And of course you can also spend $100 on a useless piece of junk, unfortunately.

FWIW, although Wavetek/Meterman is now owned by Fluke, Fluke does not manufacture their meters. They do in the sense that they now own them, but those meters are made in the same facilities and by the same people that already made them. Any meter made by Fluke, by their own staff and on their own tooling, says Fluke on it, at least on the back. According to Fluke. Not disparaging Meterman at all, just wanted to make it clear that a Wavetek/Meterman meter is not manufactured by Fluke, and does not share the warranty with Fluke. That does not mean it's not worthy of course- there are lots of good meters by lots of good companies.

I do think that Wavetek/Meterman is an excellent meter in it's price bracket.

I'd like to repeat that if you have a one-shot meter need for a specific project, you are better served by borrowing a solid performing meter from someone that already has one, and spending your money on better components for your amp instead of on a cheap meter you might not use again for months at a time.

Sep 15, 2005 at 11:02 AM Post #26 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigcat39
Well the 112 Fluke is a better instrument, but check this out.....
http://cgi.ebay.com/HP3456A-Digital-...QQcmdZViewItem
Now THAT"S a DMM! Cheap too....
biggrin.gif
eggosmile.gif

Those are so tempting... but I would have to have it calibrated to be comfortable! My HP frequency counter is the same vintage and size... like a briefcase full of bricks! But it is seriously fast and built like a brick shathouse.

Nice catch, daki][er!

Sep 15, 2005 at 6:00 PM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj
It all depends what you want to do with it. Like i said, I get to find out if the mastech kitchen sink meter is any good later today. I forget the model number.

I wanted inductance & capacitance & frequency counter, so, i went looking for it. I figure if it gives me the correct readings for known inductors and known clock sources and brand new 1% tolerance caps, that's Good Enough. for miliamps, I guess I'll have to compare it with a better meter.

Well, after playing with the thing for a week, here's what i think.

The meter in question is a Mastech MS8226T, purchased on eBay for $59 + $15 shipping.

First, it turns out that i transposed some spec sheets when selecting my meter. It turns out that you can't get a relatively cheap chinese dmm with both a Mhz range frequency counter and an inductance meter. I have a 5mhz frequency counter instead of a 50khz frequency counter, so i have no inductance meter. That can be remidied, see the end of this post.

Build quality:

The probes are hefty and made of a sturdy but pliable and soft-to-the-touch plastic that has the right sort of texture and feel so that it will still be comfortable in your hand even if you start to sweat. I appreciate that. The probes say on them that they are "category III" and rated for 1kv. I will probably never come anywhere near 1kv, but they're probably at least good enough for the high voltage you might run into on a tube amp.

The unit itself is cased in a sturdy rubberized plastic that also has a pretty good feel to it. The battery door is hefty and held in by two rotary locks that have to be turned 90 degrees with a flat-head screwdriver before you can change the battery. This may seem annoying unless you've got tape holding the battery in on your other meter.

It has a fold-out stand on the back that will hold up the meter so you can read it while handling the probes. Works well enough, but you'll still need both hands to change probes without knocking it over.

It comes with a hard plastic carrying case that seems decent enough, but i doubt if i'll ever use it.

Functionality:

There are four probe positions. Common, ohms/volts, miliamps, and amps.

The temperature probe plugs into the ohms/volts position and the miliamps position. It seems reasonably accurate. I decided against holding the thermocouple against my Weller TC201 iron to see if that tip really is 700 degrees or not. If you do not attach the thermocouple probe, the meter displays it's internal temperature.

Someone actually wrote a linux application to continuously log the temperature readings from mastech dmms with serial ports. It's made for another model, but will probably work with this one.

Speaking of the serial port, I have not installed the Windows software yet. At some point i'll figure out if it will run under Wine, whether it's worth having at all, etc.

The serial port is optoisolated from the meter, so the computer you attach to it is in no danger whatsoever. The 'port' on the dmm is literally a rubber socket with an IR led/sensor in it, exactly like you would find on a learning remote control. The serial cable has another one just like it. This may mean that the serial cable might not work with some laptops that have extremely low voltage serial ports.

The ohms position on the rotary switch is also the 'diode test' position and the 'continuity' position for obvious reasons. You select other functions by pushing the 'select' button.

Auto-ranging is done in a matter of about 1.5 seconds. It's very convenient when testing a built circuit or when giving up on deciphering the faded color codes on an old metal film resistor.

Less convenient when trying to determine if an old potentiometer is linear, log, inverse log, or what. A manual range is easily selected by pushing the range button.

The 'diode test' function is as functional or lame as it ever was, depending on your own personal opinion of whether you should even have such a function.

The continuity function is pretty handy. All it does is beep if the resistance between the probes is less than 50 ohms.

There is a transistor HFE test function, but, there is no little socket to plug your transistor into. i don't recall the manual mentioning how to use it, I'll have to go back and look again. Probably means i get to build my own probe, or, just use the old centech.

The display is quite large and has a really decent green LED backlight. This is much better than the "backlight" on the $6 centechs that really just puts a haze of light at either end of the display. The whole display lights up, and you can in fact read it clearly in the dark.

Now that that is out of the way, accuracy:

For DC volts, and ohms, it's basically like any other budget DMM. It may be a little faster than the $6 centech, or i could be dreaming.

Accurate Enough. A disagreement of +/- 1mv is Close Enough, and i dare anybody to point out an audible reason why not.

AC volts and amps? I don't have anything to compare it with at the moment.

Capacitance? It's rated as having a range from some 100pf to 100uf and i more or less believe the rating, to some extent.

Really low numbers of picofarads, under 100pf, it does just say it's out of range.

Every 100uf cap I've given it has read as out of range, which is annoying, but honestly in more than 2 digits of microfarads, the more important reading is equivalent series resistance anyway. A 47uf cap reads as 47uf give or take the given tolerance range. An 82uf cap read fine as well. A "non-polar" 10uf electrolytic reads as 22uf while a 1% 10uf electrolytic reads as 10uf.

Between those extremes, it does in fact verify that a brand new 1% film cap is within 1% tolerance of it's given rating. The last few digits on the display, which are 10's of picofarads, will constantly fluctuate between a few different numbers, which ultimately you just have to average out.

This is still close enough for matching capacitors in crossovers and, for example, riaa equalizers.

At any rate, it's still far more accurate than reaching into a bag of 1% capacitors and figuring you're within 1%.

It was also pretty interesting to see how i could temporarily change the capacitance of a wrapped foil cap by squeezing it between my fingers.

The one really aincent capacitor in my posession - a 1uf oil & paper cap in my Precision Apparatus series 912 Dynamic Tube Tester, ca 1947 or so, tests out at 1.05uf.

Presumably, one could use this meter to determine if an aincent cap had gone out of tolerance, but this one hasn't. My bag of wrap&fill caps pulled from equipment proves that polypro wrap&fill caps are pretty durable, too.

A good ESR meter would be better for that job, as it would let you know if an electrolytic had a really high resistance, or had shorted out.

I haven't used the frequency counter yet. I'll compare it with an astable 555 some time soon. I do actually have one set up as a DC inverter on the workbench, so it's a matter of powering it up and attaching leads.

I will be augmenting my instrumentation by building this inductance meter:

http://earthground.8m.com/indcap.htm

And this ESR meter:

http://www.xmission.com/~alhaz/esrmeter.gif

Which is described half-way down this page, which is down at the moment:

http://www.glowingplate.com/welcome.shtml

fwiw, I also picked up a Craftsman 34-81079 DMM very cheaply on ebay, as a broken unit ("doesn't always turn on") from some pawn shop. So, while i have it open to clean the switch contacts and repair the broken solder joints, I'll let you know if it was made by Mastech or Fluke. Looks like a Mastech to me, just from the picture, but we'll see.

Sep 15, 2005 at 8:36 PM Post #28 of 34
You are correct, the Craftsman 34-81079 is not a Fluke, nor are most Craftsman meters. I know of the one I'd mentioned previously (81437) but all the rest I'm aware of are actually "Fluke" branded.

Sep 16, 2005 at 5:48 AM Post #29 of 34
Though it might be drifting off-topic (off forum?) a bit, IMO it would be interesting to see good internal pictures of meters. Ericj, can I talk you into posting a pic of your Craftsman/(Mastech?)? After I charge up some batteries I'll post linked hi-res pic of the Craftsman/Fluke and that tiny generic meter (if i can find it again).

Sep 16, 2005 at 11:15 AM Post #30 of 34
That sounds pretty cool, mono. I'll see if I can get some time this weekend to do that also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back