Recommended cheap noise-cancelling headphones
Oct 29, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #16 of 21
Here's a link to the page that describes how they test, and a quote from the isolation section.

Learning Center - About Headphone Measurements | HeadRoom Audio

Quote:

Even open headphones cut out a moderate amount of noise above 3kHz. Most sealed headphones will provide significant amounts of attenuation down to a few hundred Hertz. Noise-canceling headphones will sometimes extend this attenuation down just below 100Hz. In-ear headphones (like the Shure and Etymotic products) have the best isolation by far; this is important for the air traveler to know: Etymotic and Shure headphones will provide far better isolation than noise canceling headphones with significantly superior audio performance!

The Head Room isolation graphs are a very good tool if you're considering one of the in ears that they sell.

Oct 29, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #17 of 21
I think I saw some sony noise-cancelling earphones mdr-nc22 on clearance for around $50~60 at local Target stores. The sound quality is not very good (weak bass), but noise cancellation is better than mdr-nc6.
Btw, amazon is selling them at around the same price. They even have some audio technica ones for cheap too.

Nov 5, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #18 of 21
Thanks so much for all your help guys! I end up buying a pair of NE-7EM off eBay. They do sound good, and isolate sound well - probably better than my old MDR-NC6 pair!

Only thing is, when I run on the treadmill the noise of the earphones moving as my body moves up and down is a bit annoying. The earphones came with some different ear fits, but they either don't fit well or rectify the problem.
Anybody have any suggestions or is this just the case for using IEMs when excercising?

Nov 6, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by primouomo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only thing is, when I run on the treadmill the noise of the earphones moving as my body moves up and down is a bit annoying. The earphones came with some different ear fits, but they either don't fit well or rectify the problem.
Anybody have any suggestions or is this just the case for using IEMs when excercising?

When I work out, I wear mine over the ears and have the cable run from the back. No problems.

Also be careful buying earphones off eBay... too many fakes (especially when you haven't heard the real thing, you don't know what to expect thus wouldn't be able to distinguish).

Nov 6, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by primouomo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Don't worry, there are no fakes of the Nuforces. I suggest wearing them over-the-ear to prevent cable noise. I think the NE-7M also come with a shirt clip, which should be used to secure the cable in place to stop it from knocking against you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back