Recommended amps to pair with AV-710?
Mar 4, 2005 at 5:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

500+ Head-Fier
So I'm going to be getting an AV-710 soon, and now I need to look into getting an amp for it. However, my amp knowledge is very limited.

Budget: $100 max (the cheaper the better, of course)
Headphones: A500, SR-60 (plan on upgrading to A900)
Music: trance, trip-hop, pop, rock, hip-hop (in that order)

This will be for home use, but I may move it around so it needs to be small (besides, I don't have much desk space). It needs to be able to be powered off of a wallwart.

My headphones are easy-to-drive, so I'm hoping that a fairly cheap amp will do. No plans on upgrading in the future besides the A900.

So what would be the best amps to consider for my setup, budget and musical tastes?

Mar 4, 2005 at 5:49 PM Post #2 of 11
With that budget, you can probably find someone willing to make a dual-powered MINT in a Hammond case for you. There are tons of DIY'ers on this board, so I don't think that would be a problem
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 5, 2005 at 8:08 AM Post #3 of 11
Any recommendations on particular DIYers?

Also, how does a dual-powered MINT compare to a standard cmoy (my only amp that I can compare to)? Would a PIMETA be out of my price range? And how are buffered cmoys different from regular cmoys sound-wise?

Mar 5, 2005 at 3:40 PM Post #4 of 11
Good DIY'ers can be found in the Mall-Fi forum. Before you order anything I'd check the various feedback threads about these folks in the Feedback forum. My guess is that you'll find glowing review after glowing review but as I've had no direct experience with any of them I feel obligated to tell you to do some research.

After that, yes a PIMETA is most likely going to be out of your price range. Partially because you are going to probably want a wall powered amp if your mainly going to be using it with you computer as a source. That'll add a minimum of around $10 to the cost of the amp. You might, if you're willing to wait long enough, find a used PIMETA in the FS forum with a PS for around a hundred, but I doubt it.

From the sounds of what you're looking for a dual powered MINT will be your best option, however it still may be more $$ than you're willing to spend. But to my ear it is well worth the increased cost over even a maxed out Cmoy-type amp.

HTH,

Nate

Mar 16, 2005 at 1:56 PM Post #5 of 11
i've got a Pocketampv2 and an A900 for my av710. if my price range is a bit higher, say to 200, what would be the best amp to run in this case? something that would be worth an upgrade. if nothing then i'll stick with this PA since it's served me well so far.

Mar 16, 2005 at 4:14 PM Post #6 of 11
If you can wait for a month or so the market is about to be flooded with SuperMacros, I'm sure you'll be able to find one for $100-$150 no problem. I'm also pretty confident this will beat out anything else you could find in that price range, DIY included.

Mar 17, 2005 at 12:05 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by lumanogin
why will everytone be sellng theres?

There's an updated version of the SuperMacro coming out soon.

Mar 17, 2005 at 3:04 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by karma
So I'm going to be getting an AV-710 soon, and now I need to look into getting an amp for it. However, my amp knowledge is very limited.

Budget: $100 max (the cheaper the better, of course)
Headphones: A500, SR-60 (plan on upgrading to A900)
Music: trance, trip-hop, pop, rock, hip-hop (in that order)

This will be for home use, but I may move it around so it needs to be small (besides, I don't have much desk space). It needs to be able to be powered off of a wallwart.

My headphones are easy-to-drive, so I'm hoping that a fairly cheap amp will do. No plans on upgrading in the future besides the A900.

So what would be the best amps to consider for my setup, budget and musical tastes?

I also am running a chaintech and using HD580s/515s/ety6 and im using the pocketamp v2, it runs fine, and Gary has insanely good customer service. if you wanna see any pics of my **** he put some up on his site. just got to www.electric-avenues.com and look at the amp pictures, mine is #357. i would reccomend these amps for the customer service alone, not to mention the insane price and that it performs VERY well for that price range.

rj

Mar 17, 2005 at 3:49 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by lumanogin
why will everytone be sellng theres?

Xin just released a new version, and he's allowing current supermacro owners to upgrade for extremely cheap. The good side is that when you upgrade, you still get to keep your original amp, you just get the new one as well. If you buy a 2nd case, volume knob, etc as well then you have a whole new amp. All in all it will cost a current supermacro owner about $100-$150 to get the new version and a new case (so they essentially have 2 complete amps), and most people will probably sell their old one for the price of the upgrade to recoup their costs. Hence, there are going to be a lot of supermacro v1's going up for sale in the next month or so for $100-150, less than half of what they cost initially.

Mar 17, 2005 at 4:33 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by PITTM
I also am running a chaintech and using HD580s/515s/ety6 and im using the pocketamp v2, it runs fine, and Gary has insanely good customer service. if you wanna see any pics of my **** he put some up on his site. just got to www.electric-avenues.com and look at the amp pictures, mine is #357. i would reccomend these amps for the customer service alone, not to mention the insane price and that it performs VERY well for that price range.

rj

Thanks for that. Since I started this post initially, a severe case of upgradeitis hit me and I ended up selling all my headphones to get higher-end ones. As part of this, I decided to stretch my budget and get a custom-built PIMETA. Oh, the wallet cries
frown.gif
, but the ears smile.
biggrin.gif

I might pick up a SuperMacro too, depending on the price, since I could use a second amp and haven't figured whether I want to keep the PIMETA at home or at the office.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back