Recommended 6.5" 2.0 Speakers for Music?
Oct 10, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #31 of 34
That is more like a headphone amp than a preamp to me (low output impedance and has gain and current)

A typical passive preamp has unity gain (unless the stage buffer has gain factor) with a moderately high output impedance (100 ohms or more) for power amps or active speakers. Its current is limited to the current output from the DAC stage itself unless it’s an active preamp where the signal from DAC is “re-amplified” to provide enough power to trave long distance in the cable.

Oct 11, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #32 of 34
Not exactly what I meant but your not fully wrong; what I meant was that it's not impossible to buy an amplifier for passive speakers for $300 but you'll probably need a pre-amp (many amplfiers don't have volume control).

Integrated amps are actually more common than pure power amps that need a preamp, from full size chassis from big brands like NAD and Rotel down to tiny Class D amplifiers from Chinese brands like Topping.

Off the top of my head the only manufacturer that does more pure power amps than integrated amps is Emotiva, but that's because they're more into affordable high end HT systems where instead of dumping a really good receiver with a good amp when its digital inputs become obsolete, you can buy a Pre-Pro and an amp now and then upgrade the Pre-Pro later but keep the amp.

Oct 11, 2018 at 2:30 AM Post #33 of 34
Integrated amps are actually more common than pure power amps that need a preamp, from full size chassis from big brands like NAD and Rotel down to tiny Class D amplifiers from Chinese brands like Topping.

Off the top of my head the only manufacturer that does more pure power amps than integrated amps is Emotiva, but that's because they're more into affordable high end HT systems where instead of dumping a really good receiver with a good amp when its digital inputs become obsolete, you can buy a Pre-Pro and an amp now and then upgrade the Pre-Pro later but keep the amp.

I know most on the market (except for high end 2 channels) are integrated but I was phrasing my answer more about studio monitors than hi-fi equipment. Especially within the OPs assumed price range.

Oct 12, 2018 at 5:32 AM Post #34 of 34
Right.
I am aware of burn in, regarding audio equipment. Thank you.

BTW,
I heard the term "preamp" several times already, but never really understood why it's needed..
Also I always heard it mentioned as a chip, in an amplifier circuit, and not as a device on its own..

Why is a preamp needed?
Why can't the Amplifier itself do the work, without needing the help of a preamp?

An integrated amp is a preamp and a power amp in one enclosure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back