Recommendations?
Nov 12, 2008 at 9:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

iObfuscate

New Head-Fier
Ok, I listen to a lot of music, probably around 10 hours a day, I work alone in the back of a chemical plant. ANYWAYS! I've been through a few earbuds since I got my iPod and I'm sick of them dying on me, I don't know if it's the way I wear them (under my sweater and into my pocket), the type of work I'm doing (lots of static) or if it's just the fact that I am listening to them for 10 hours a day.

I've had in order, the default iPod ear buds, the old skullcandies, fullmetal jacket skull candies(got mugged), fullmetal jackets again, Bose and now those razer earbuds. They all died sort of the same way, one ear would cackle a bit then burn out and then soon after the other would do the same. Oh and they all lasted just a little over a year (soon after the warrenty, curious no?)

At first I just wanted earbuds that would last so I kept going up in price everytime I bought a new pair hoping they would last longer. But now after going from those Bose to the razer earbuds I don't even feel like listening to my iPod, so now I'm about the quality.

Sound is my recent obsession(got new pc speakers and all), so I was thinking of getting those shure SE530 but I really don't feel like dropping that sort of cash on something thats going to die within a few months, but I don't want to listen to garbage either.

I was also thinking of perhaps staying away from IEMs and moving onto something like the Bose QuietComfort 2 around ear headphones (though I do like to hide the fact that I am listening to music, work purposes and getting robbed)

Any and all help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Nov 12, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #2 of 16
Oh God, welcome to the school of Head-fi.

I'm glad you came here as it's painful you spend that much money on bad products like that.

What's your budget?
What type of music do you listen to?
Is isolation an issue?

I hate to say it, but all the earbuds and headphones you mentioned as well, c-r-a-p sound quality wise.
Guys on Head-fi extremely dislike Bose because well, the sound quality doesn't not justify the price Bose sells them at i.e. They're beyond a ripoff.
Also there are far better earbuds and headphones at every pricerange Bose sells products at.
lol @ at getting mugged for crap earbuds (not that getting mugged is enjoyable but the guy who stole them didn't get anything special really).

Nov 12, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #3 of 16
Yeah I never said they were the best quality but compared to the razer earbuds the bose ones are much better, thats what I was referring to.

As for my budet, I dont have one.
I listen to mostly Industrial/electronic
and yes, I need isolation.

Nov 12, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #5 of 16
The SE530s have a 2-year warranty, buy that with your Visa or AxEx card and that can extend the warranty another year. So I wouldn't worry about them crapping out on you.

Nov 12, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #6 of 16
the SE530's have great build quality so I would recommend them but also custom-fit earphones are also an option. The 530's also have a PTT (Push to Talk) in which you can push a button and you can hear your boss/co-worker talking to you, once done, push the button again and you're back to the music.

Nov 12, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by iObfuscate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, I listen to a lot of music, probably around 10 hours a day, I work alone in the back of a chemical plant. ANYWAYS! I've been through a few earbuds since I got my iPod and I'm sick of them dying on me, I don't know if it's the way I wear them (under my sweater and into my pocket), the type of work I'm doing (lots of static) or if it's just the fact that I am listening to them for 10 hours a day.

I've had in order, the default iPod ear buds, the old skullcandies, fullmetal jacket skull candies(got mugged), fullmetal jackets again, Bose and now those razer earbuds. They all died sort of the same way, one ear would cackle a bit then burn out and then soon after the other would do the same. Oh and they all lasted just a little over a year (soon after the warrenty, curious no?)

At first I just wanted earbuds that would last so I kept going up in price everytime I bought a new pair hoping they would last longer. But now after going from those Bose to the razer earbuds I don't even feel like listening to my iPod, so now I'm about the quality.

Sound is my recent obsession(got new pc speakers and all), so I was thinking of getting those shure SE530 but I really don't feel like dropping that sort of cash on something thats going to die within a few months, but I don't want to listen to garbage either.

I was also thinking of perhaps staying away from IEMs and moving onto something like the Bose QuietComfort 2 around ear headphones (though I do like to hide the fact that I am listening to music, work purposes and getting robbed)

Any and all help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Yuin PK-3 or PK-2 earbuds are what you are looking for.

Head-Direct.com | YUIN

Nov 12, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #8 of 16
I tried staying cheap with those razer earbuds (30 bucks) and I don't even want to listen to them.

Also I want to know whats making them all burn out around the same time? Do they have a general amount of hours before burning out or what?

Nov 12, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by iObfuscate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried staying cheap with those razer earbuds (30 bucks) and I don't even want to listen to them.

Also I want to know whats making them all burn out around the same time? Do they have a general amount of hours before burning out or what?

No, just a bit of bad luck and crap build quality since they're built cheap.
Not to say all cheap portable headphones and earbuds are crap, far from it.

Nov 12, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He needs isolation.

Remember newbies often confuse earbuds with canalphones and IEM's and lump them all together as 'earbud'.

He doesnt want full sized cans and wants earbuds that wont fall apart. Yuin fits that description and they sound great as well. As far as isolation, he needs to be able to hear something so he doesn't end up in trouble or injured, these are for work.

Nov 12, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He doesnt want full sized cans and wants earbuds that wont fall apart. Yuin fits that description and they sound great as well.

But also needs isolation. A recommendation should fit all the criteria that poster needs. SE530 won't fall apart really...
Also as I've said, the SE530 comes with the Shure Push-to-talk system = perfect for work.
However, whether you want to work with $300 earphones all day = the OP's choice.

Nov 12, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #14 of 16
Ah chinese you sold me on the 530s :p
The PTH would kick ass for my situation.

I was just looking at prices online and the price they are giving me from the official shure site are wacked lol.

I did find some on amazon for $282.88 - 500.00.
Im a bit skeptical of the ones for 282.88, they have the PTH aswell. The seller says they are new and seem to have a good rating but thats still a huge price leap... What do you guys think?

Amazon.com: Used and New: Shure SE530PTH Sound Isolating Earphones with Push-To-Hear Control

Nov 12, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But also needs isolation. A recommendation should fit all the criteria that poster needs. SE530 won't fall apart really...
Also as I've said, the SE530 comes with the Shure Push-to-talk system = perfect for work.
However, whether you want to work with $300 earphones all day = the OP's choice.

How does push to talk help you when someone walks up behind you and says something? How does push to talk help you when you go to turn around and someone is there already?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back