Recommendations Wanted - USB Audio w/headphone output
Nov 28, 2006 at 1:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

TKO

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Head-Fiers,

I am looking at adding a external USB audio device to my flat-screen iMac in order to replace the existing headphone output, which I find is inadequate to drive a headphone amplifier.

Therefore the envisioned setup will be:

- USB external device to output analog
- mini-to-RCA cable
- headphone amplifier

any recommendations greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Nov 28, 2006 at 11:28 PM Post #2 of 7
have you already got a headphone amplifier? Because if not then you could go for something like the Headroom Total Bithead which has a USB imput and headphone amp built into one unit.

Nov 29, 2006 at 2:45 AM Post #3 of 7
I use a Corda Aria in the same way. I've also used it to pass the output from its headphone jack to another, higher quality, amp. I used the Aria's DAC in this way, to pass the computer's digital output to the RCA inputs of that amp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by m_memmory /img/forum/go_quote.gif
have you already got a headphone amplifier? Because if not then you could go for something like the Headroom Total Bithead which has a USB imput and headphone amp built into one unit.

Nov 29, 2006 at 2:55 AM Post #4 of 7
mikeg,

Thanks. Will check into the Corda Aria. My flatscreen iMac doesn't have a digital output otherwise I would have just stuck my Entech NC 203.2 in the transport path.

m_memmory,

yes, I have a LDII and a Heed Canamp on the way.

Cheers.

Nov 29, 2006 at 3:10 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by TKO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mikeg,

Thanks. Will check into the Corda Aria. My flatscreen iMac doesn't have a digital output otherwise I would have just stuck my Entech NC 203.2 in the transport path.

m_memmory,

yes, I have a LDII and a Heed Canamp on the way.

Cheers.

Bummer. I was going to say just use the digital output there are tons of great amps. But yeah.... G4.

A bithead I think makes a good pre-amp too.... I mean its so neutral that it would work well as a pre-amp, plus its cheap at provides a great solution. I mean you could actually velcro it to the back of the screen so its out of sight and then have the output going to your other amps. Wait.... its a G4.
mad.gif
So.... the USB is on the base isnt it..... damn there goes that plan....

Nov 29, 2006 at 3:46 AM Post #6 of 7
Try a silverstone EB-01 DAC. they are USB DACs, that output an analog signal through RCA jacks. New they are $100, refurbished at newegg maybe $60-70.

Nov 29, 2006 at 10:21 PM Post #7 of 7
daggerlee,

Thanks. Will definitely check that one out. That sounds just what I need!

I have a Belkin iMic which provides the same function and I have tested it fine with my system, although I think the performance leaves a lot to be desired :frowning2:

Appreciate the responses.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back