Recommendations sought for sort of odd criteria: non-isolating but don't "leak" sound?
Mar 19, 2011 at 12:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ctate

New Head-Fier
Yeah, I know this is a little off the wall.  
smile.gif

I've been upgrading a bit lately at home, and now that I have a quality DAC + headphone amp instead of using my PC's janky built-in audio, I'd like to ditch my thoroughly wretched Sony MDR-V400s [don't bother ragging on them; i know!].  I know from experience, though, that using my heavily-isolating A-Ts doesn't work well, because I can't hear my family when they need my attention even if they're speaking to me fairly loudly -- they need to come physically accost me, and that's not great for either me or them.

On the other hand, open cans like Grados aren't a great solution because they emit a lot of sound ambiently.  Just because I might want to listen to Nine Inch Nails or Arvo Pärt at some particular time doesn't mean my wife in the same room wants to!  
L3000.gif
  I use my Grado 125is at work where it's not such a big deal; the office is a little noisy in general anyway and the background sounds from my headphones don't bother my neighbors.

Hence this question's sort of weird criteria:  are there decent phones that don't emit a lot of sound ambiently, but do allow the wearer to hear what's going on around them to at least some extent?  The only thing I can think of offhand is that maybe ON the ear rather than AROUND the ear is a starting place for thinking about specific models.  (I'm open to correction/suggestion though!)

I'm sure I don't have to spend much to do better than those Sonys, and given that I'm looking for something that isn't a fully-involved detailed listening environment sort of use case, I'm thinking under $150 for sure and under $100 there should still be some significant quality available.

So, uh.  Any thoughts what might fit the bill?  Thanks!

Mar 19, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #3 of 7
I have the sennheiser px 200ii and they barely isolate and they don't leak at all

They are also on ear and in ur budget :)

Mar 19, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #4 of 7
How about AKG's semi open K240 studio?

Mar 19, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #5 of 7
Mar 22, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
I have the sennheiser px 200ii and they barely isolate and they don't leak at all

They are also on ear and in ur budget
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
How about AKG's semi open K240 studio?

Quote:

Thanks for the recommendations, everybody!  I've decided to go with the Aurvana Live!s for now.  They're a little cheaper than the Senns and allegedly have better leak/isolate properties for my [weirdo!] use case.  I talked to a friend of mine with the AKGs, too, and according to him they do leak a good bit of sound ambiently -- other than that, they sound pretty sweet.  :)

Thanks again and now i guess we'll see how it goes....

-- c

Mar 22, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:

Thanks for the recommendations, everybody!  I've decided to go with the Aurvana Live!s for now.  They're a little cheaper than the Senns and allegedly have better leak/isolate properties for my [weirdo!] use case.  I talked to a friend of mine with the AKGs, too, and according to him they do leak a good bit of sound ambiently -- other than that, they sound pretty sweet.  :)

Thanks again and now i guess we'll see how it goes....

-- c

ok, have fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back