Recommendations on CD Changers
Jun 28, 2001 at 2:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

JMT

JMT Audio:PPA/META42 Amp Factory
I am in the market for a new CD changer. I understand that single disc players sonically are superior to changers however based on my listening set-up, a changer is what I need (I sit about 12 feet from the rack). I am looking to spend $400 - $500. I know the Denon DCM-370 is highly touted here. Any others in that price range?

I listen to jazz, soundtracks, classical and light rock. Will be running this throught he tape monitor of my Yamaha receiver and my Creek OBH-11 and my DIY C/H/A 47. Using HD580s or SR-225s. Thanks in advance.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 28, 2001 at 4:03 PM Post #2 of 22
The Denon DCM-370 is the best choice in that category. It really is a great player. Ask Vertigo - who just got one. He told me he won't go back to listening over his computer! Another one that might stretch your budget is the Sony SCD-C333ES - its a 5 disc changer that plays CDs and SACDs. Ask Jude about that one
smily_headphones1.gif
You can pick NIB 333's off Ebay for $400-600.

Jun 29, 2001 at 3:12 AM Post #3 of 22
What about the Marantz 4000se? Any comments or reviews on this one. I saw one at J & R (I think) for about $300.00

Jun 29, 2001 at 9:47 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by ian
The Denon DCM-370 is the best choice in that category. It really is a great player. ..........

Yes, Please keep the compliments coming ! Since I just ordered the Denon 370, I need to hear more good thing about it to make me feel good about my Purchase
cool.gif

My 370 is already in transit and schedule for July 2nd delivery. Can't wait. I have one HDCD ready for it ! Also picked out the 5 DISCS I want to put in there.. even made the room for the player.

All I pray now is to have *murphy's law* stay outta my way with this item !
eek.gif

Tides

PS. dont stop talking good about dcm370. I love reading them
tongue.gif

Jun 29, 2001 at 3:42 PM Post #6 of 22
If you can swing an extra $200 or so, I'd say check out the Denon DVM3700 DVD changer. It used to retail for $1000 but I bet you can find it discounted now. And if you don't have a DVD player, you get that thrown in to boot!

It also supports HDCD and the sound is first rate, better on CDs than my previous CAL CL10.

markl

Jul 1, 2001 at 7:09 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Since I just ordered the Denon 370, I need to hear more good thing about it to make me feel good about my Purchase

Tides, I decided to go with the DCM-370. Got it at the local Good Guys for $224.00, unfortunately I haven't even hooked it up yet. When I do and get a chance to give it a good listen, I'll give my short impression. I am confident, however that based on my audition at the store, we will both be very happy with our decision.

Jul 1, 2001 at 9:57 AM Post #8 of 22
JMT,

I am sure we picked the right player for what we are willing to pay. With all the Headwizers backing up the dcm370, I feel good about it. I cant wait for the system, 2 more days..
I am all ready for it !

Tides
cool.gif

PS. I paid 231.30 for mine.

Jul 4, 2001 at 12:02 AM Post #10 of 22
sapphiremodena,

the dcm370 is 198.88.( cheapest I found out of a TON of stores) it came to 230 because I had to pay tax on top of shipping. You prob can get it for 210 dollars if you do not live in NY.

read my thread titles * who here has Cambridge 500se* the details are in there.

I love this player!!

Tides

Jul 4, 2001 at 3:05 AM Post #11 of 22
Congratulations JMT and Tides--it sounds like you both are very happy with the 370. I am very close to ordering the 370 myself--but i have one reservation: the denon DVM-3700 has caught my eye. Right now i have to hook my lap-top to the tv set to watch DVD's--kinda inconvenient. I can justify the extra $250 for a decent DVD player-but i plan to use the unit primarily for audio. I am wondering how the sound of the 3700 matches up to the 370--anyone listen to both units? Thanks

Jul 4, 2001 at 4:56 AM Post #12 of 22
Personally, I like to keep my audio and video seperate. There is no way that I would need a DVD changer. No chance that I would ever sit and watch more than one movie during a sitting (I tend to get antsy). I have never heard the 3700 as a CD player, but my Sony DVD player is not made for audio. It sounds awful playing CDs, but it sounds great with 5.1 surround DVDs.

Jul 4, 2001 at 5:04 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by JMT
There is no way that I would need a DVD changer. No chance that I would ever sit and watch more than one movie during a sitting

I have a Sony 300 disc dvd changer. I, like you, rarely watch more than one movie at a go.

However... I love the changer format. Simply because I use it to store all our dvd discs (about 220). No having a rack full of big dvd boxes. Just sit down, scan through our movies onscreen, and choose.

And the price for the Sony dvd changers is *so* low... I couldn't think of a reason not to.

Jul 4, 2001 at 9:36 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by jeremymayf
. I can justify the extra $250 for a decent DVD player-but i plan to use the unit primarily for audio. Thanks

since you want to use it primarily for Audio, I say go with Audio only player and buy dvd player seperately. ( if audio outweight the ability of dvd playing)

Basic dvd players are so cheap now. You can even pick one up for under 120 dollars during holidy sales * hint July 4th*

My brother picked one of those cheap DVD players for 102 dollars with tax at Target, and it plays the dvd just fine
smily_headphones1.gif

My experience with multi purpose units is, the more a unit can do ( meaning multi functions) the lesser it is good at doing each individually.

I like my stuff seperately
smily_headphones1.gif
dvd player just for dvd player, cd player just cd player, Video tape player just video tape player and amplifier just amplifier. No all in one for me. ALtho I love the little 17 inches TV/vcr combo that I drag to just about everywhere in the house when I do different house chores lol~!
tongue.gif

My new Dcm370 really kicks some serious ass. I am absolutely in love with the 5 disc tray and the great sounds. It has been on for at least 20 hours in the very short time I received it !

Earlier I had an *Unplugged performance* listening session that consists of

Eric Clapton: Unplugged
Neil Young : unplugged
Rod Stewart : Unplugged
R.E.M unplugged
Eagles reunion live performance: Hell freezes over

Love the 5 discs capability and the great sounds!
Since the Dcm370 arrival, I have set 5 discs in dcm370 before I sit down and start my internet session
cool.gif

I appreciate this even more when I do Virtual Pool Hall online match with people, since the game has no music in there, just the ball hitting sounds that I dont care much
smily_headphones1.gif

Tides

Jul 4, 2001 at 12:45 PM Post #15 of 22
resistance is futile, eh?
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the input,
JMT I guess i was looking at the carosoul aspect of the player as being useful in terms of regular cd's, not dvd's--i can only take a single movie at a time too
smily_headphones1.gif
I also agree that, ideally, i would prefer to have seperate cd-dvd players. The 3700 has the alpha 24 dsp which it uses to decode cd's and hdcd's, a component which is present in higher end denon cd players, also all reviews i can find on the 3700 praise it's audio prowess-here's one examplehttp://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_read.asp?ID=461
I was also going to argue how $ was another concern here, i.e., saving a little cash getting both players in one--but tides seems to have already answered that point!
Tides, i didn't realize how cheap dvd players have become--and you are right --audio is my primary concern-my source right now is a cd player fromm a kenwood rack system+RA-1+RS-1. The kenwood sounds about as good as my ancient sony portable, in fact on many cd's i prefer the sony! Ohhh if only i had never stumbled into headwizers! My new favorite expression is "just this one more thing. . . ."
wink.gif
I already feel myself being pulled to the 370, it's only $200. . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back