Recommendations for what are currently the World's Best Headphones??
Jul 4, 2011 at 9:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

Syan25

Headphoneus Supremus
Please recommend - T1, HD800, Audeze LCD-2, Denon AH-D700, the HE-6 or....???

Jul 4, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #2 of 53
this is a thread primed for disaster, Syan25.
because no one should recommend headphones they haven't heard.
and there are few folks out there who have heard every flagship.

so, you are just going to get many "nods" for the one headphone someone owns or wants to own.
hope you are okay with that. 
wink.gif

furthermore, we need to know what sound you are looking for and what type of music you enjoy.
tell us MOAR. 
biggrin.gif

thanks,
the wuss

Jul 4, 2011 at 9:40 AM Post #3 of 53

Quote:
this is a thread primed for disaster, Syan25.
because no one should recommend headphones they haven't heard.
and there are few folks out there who have heard every flagship.

so, you are just going to get many "nods" for the one headphone someone owns or wants to own.
hope you are okay with that. 
wink.gif

furthermore, we need to know what sound you are looking for and what type of music you enjoy.
tell us MOAR. 
biggrin.gif

thanks,
the wuss

+1. Man. it's a tall order.I do not think Jude can even say which on is the BEST when your ears or your taste , speaking in layman term or your music preference is unique. Speaking from my 40 years playing with hi-end audio, it's a personal question only you can answer that but I have not found a perfect or best pair of speakers yet even the 9K V60s that I like but I do not think they are the best among  Apogge. Martin Logan, VMPS....

These are not even the best comparing with Apogee sound stage.

If money no object, try then all see which one are your cup of tea. Sorry but I believe these kind of question will lead you to the land of nowhere unless you audition them seriously.

Jul 5, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #4 of 53
Guess what
T1, HD800, Audeze LCD-2, Denon AH-D700, the HE-6
I tried them all, however all on diff amps so errr not very fair test.
and my fav is audeze LCD 2 with Beyerdynamics A1 amp.
T1 really sounded boring to me, it's definately not a bass kind of headphone and I'm a bass kind of person so, yea.
HD 800 the soundstage is wow really kind of surround sound kind of thing. However bass not good enough, mid also not good, too much trebles for me
HE - 6. I listen music at quite loud vol and HE -6 couldn't take the vol and it distort. So I didn't bother listening it into detail I just took off the headphone when I find it distorting.
Denon AH-D7000 this i say is best close can I've heard, If I'm not wrong I used it with a graham slee solo amp. Really good bass, sound stage pretty good, I'll buy this if I'm getting close can.
Audeze LCD -2 with Beyerdyanmics A1 amp, best open can I've heard. Really good in the bass however I think the denon AH D7000 has stronger bass if i remember correctly, but the sound stage of the LCD 2 is definately widder than the AH D7000. Both headphones are I suppose kind of a treble cut headphone because I play at loud vol and it doesn't hurt my ears, those headphones without treble cut really pierce my ears and I don't like it.
So Audeze LCD 2 for best open can and Denon AH D7000 for best close can.

And then like what everyone said. Everyone prefers difff stuff.

Jul 5, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #5 of 53
Orpheus, Sony R10, Grado HP1000, K1000, Stax Omega II HD800, LCD-2

By the way, I haven't heard all of them (only the HP1000 and K1000), but after reading the forum for nearly a decade these are usually the ones you see experienced head-fier's listing as the best of the best

Jul 6, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #8 of 53

You sure you HE-6 wasnt clipping the AMP?
Quote:
Guess what
T1, HD800, Audeze LCD-2, Denon AH-D700, the HE-6
I tried them all, however all on diff amps so errr not very fair test.
and my fav is audeze LCD 2 with Beyerdynamics A1 amp.
T1 really sounded boring to me, it's definately not a bass kind of headphone and I'm a bass kind of person so, yea.
HD 800 the soundstage is wow really kind of surround sound kind of thing. However bass not good enough, mid also not good, too much trebles for me
HE - 6. I listen music at quite loud vol and HE -6 couldn't take the vol and it distort. So I didn't bother listening it into detail I just took off the headphone when I find it distorting.
Denon AH-D7000 this i say is best close can I've heard, If I'm not wrong I used it with a graham slee solo amp. Really good bass, sound stage pretty good, I'll buy this if I'm getting close can.
Audeze LCD -2 with Beyerdyanmics A1 amp, best open can I've heard. Really good in the bass however I think the denon AH D7000 has stronger bass if i remember correctly, but the sound stage of the LCD 2 is definately widder than the AH D7000. Both headphones are I suppose kind of a treble cut headphone because I play at loud vol and it doesn't hurt my ears, those headphones without treble cut really pierce my ears and I don't like it.
So Audeze LCD 2 for best open can and Denon AH D7000 for best close can.

And then like what everyone said. Everyone prefers difff stuff.

Jul 6, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #9 of 53
I have indeed heard them all barr the LCD-2's (Which should be coming in the next few days!!!). However, I've only listened to each one for about half an hour, so my opinion is pretty useless.

Think of it like this

each headphone has a score it can get out of 10, the 10 points are attributed by:
a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, i, j

For example,
the LCD's would have every attribute except J
the HD800's would have every attribute except B
The T1's would have every attribute except D
and so on and so forth...

So basically in the end, its what attribute you like the most that should influence your decision.

At the top tier price range (~$1000) all headphones have EXCELLENT sound qualities and elements.
It's just a matter of taste over which one you choose. But remember, DO NOT EVER be regretful of a purchase (or try not to be anyway)! Stick with your purchase so that you may come to appreciate the sound.

anyways good luck!

Jul 6, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #10 of 53
Depending on your tastes LCD-2, HD800, O2, or 009 if you're looking for something along the lines of accuracy.

If you want a little more color then the R10, Qualia, or FWIR the Orpheus.

Jul 6, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #12 of 53
I have heard all of the HP's the OP asked about. 
The R10 pwns them all.
The only ones I listen to now are the HD800 though. Irony. 

Quote:
Well I heard the clipping sound from the HE-6 and that's that I didn't bother about other stuff I just took it off

'twas the amp. 

I have run my HE6proto's up to about 110db. From about 3ft away they sounded fine. Not really very different from any other headphone at 110db SPL. 

Jul 6, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #13 of 53
 I've passed through HD650, K701, SR-007IImk2. I've listened intimately Victor DX1000, HD-800, HE-5, DT880(600), K1000 and many more. And now my favourite is... SRH-840 :) Music, music and just music :) Enjoy it!

Jul 15, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #15 of 53
If you already like your DT-880s, and are looking for an improvement on that, try the HD800s or T1s. Don't bother with HE-6 unless you have massive power on hand. Personally, I think the HD800 and LCD2 are a step above the others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back