recommendations for surround headphones please!
Oct 28, 2008 at 6:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

phkd

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone.

After searching the forums for recommendations, I see that no one has really cared about surround headphones for a few years (perhaps this should tell me something). Anyways, I am doing a research paper on the potential advantages and disadvantages of mixing music for 5.1 surround listening on headphones rather than speakers (and ultimately, whether or not it is worthwhile to even attempt this). Since those old threads have old recommendations, I am looking for some current ones.

My first step is obviously to find some examples of surround headphones to try. I am thinking of using a low-end pair and a high-end pair. The high-end pair will tell me if it is even worth it to mix surround material on headphones and if it is possible, the low-end pair should show me if you can do it with any ol' pair of surround headphones or if you need good ones.

While I am scouring the internet myself, I thought I would ask you guys too, in case anyone knows of anything that I might miss. Like I mentioned, I am hoping for a low-end and a high-end pair, and not some "surround-like" gimmick.

Thanks and I look forward to reading your responses!

Oct 28, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #2 of 12
Theres only one thats worth a damn...

fuglyphones-lol.jpg

Oct 28, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #5 of 12
Duggeh. what a hell is that on the shoulders? very cool portable setup. is that the jeklin too?

Oct 29, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #8 of 12
don't have 2,500.. But only headphones will give you that type of imersion, & realness.. with head tracking.. 5.1 speakers can't hold a candle to a good biarural recording through headphones. Sorry.. My headphone 'superiority' rant..

Oct 29, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #10 of 12
haha duggeh, i said "surround headphones", not "battle armor that one would wear to a sci-fi convention to assert dominant status as alpha-nerd."

padam, hawat: thanks, this seems to be the best option so far. if anything can do it, it seems like the beyer system would be it.

alpha, thanks for that link, I haven't seen this option yet. This is why I posted here, thanks man!

kool, i agree with you
wink.gif

ash, while that may be true, research studies like the one i intend to do still have merit because maybe the bulk of those "serious people" don't know what they are missing. If I can find a use or lack thereof for surround headphones in mixing, at least those people will actually have something semi-scientific to cite when they give their opinions.

Oct 29, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #12 of 12
It is certainly true, but there is still a significant pitfall.

Just consider, few people listen to surround headphones, especially comparing their number to one-transducer listeners. What would be the purpose of doing mixing with device that nearly no one perceives? It is a place for marketing to come in acting, I think. Just as you convince people to surround systems, your inquiry will become more justified.

Ash

Users who are viewing this thread

Back