Recommendations For Quality Audio Equipment Racks At A Good Price?
Jun 4, 2004 at 4:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Nightfall

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello again,

I have an upcoming need for well made, attractive audio racks that won't cost an arm and a leg. I would like to keep the total expenditure to $1000.00 and I will need two.
One extremely important factor is that they need to be six shelf models and also capable of being very stable when loaded with some fairly (though not extremely) heavy equipment. Any recommendations would be appreciated. So far, the best I can find are these...........

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...?sku=SANNF206B

$629.99 list for $349.99 seems like a pretty good deal, and I've heard that Sanus makes decent stuff. Still, you guys always seem to come up with amazing deals somewhere, so please update me on whats available. Thanks.

JC

Jun 5, 2004 at 9:17 PM Post #4 of 15
I made a Salamander Archetype clone using some steel rods and a few pieces of maple that I laminated together and finished. The total cost was under fifty dollars, it took me four evenings to complete, and all of the materials were available at Home Depot.

Jun 6, 2004 at 5:14 AM Post #5 of 15
I have the same question. For me taller the better! Space is an issue.

Though prefer an affordable commercial product. Open to the DIY recall having seen some good racks in passing. For the DIY stuff a pic would be great.

Jun 6, 2004 at 8:28 AM Post #7 of 15
I unfortunately do not have a digital camera so posting a pic of my rack is difficult, but the build quality of my unit is probraly superior to that of the Salamander units as each shelf is composed of two 1'' thick pieces of maple rather than the Archetype butcher block style contruction which are only 3/4 of an inch thick.

Jun 6, 2004 at 10:00 AM Post #8 of 15
Well at least you have a good rack. I live in Tokyo where nearly everyone has a digital cam, about half built in their phones. But living here means I need a space efficient rack!

Guessing DIY has many advantages, beside price. Customization. Just wish I had the time and skills.

I can probably imagine a decent image of your setup. Curious if you have threaded rods? Like the Salamaner. Adjustable shelve spacing would be very good to have. If I can find some good material for the rods, threaded, rest seems do-able. Welcome more info.

Jun 6, 2004 at 8:23 PM Post #9 of 15
Yes they are just threaded rods just like the Salamander models. I bought galvinized ones from the Home Depot, but you can purchase black spares directly from Salamander. The silver finish on mine look pretty slick with the cherry finish I have on my shelves however, and they were quite a bit cheaper. I just suggest making extra shelves that way you do not have to try to match the finish if you later decide to add more units.

Jun 6, 2004 at 8:24 PM Post #10 of 15
P.S. sorry about not having a camera, I am pretty low tech. I do not even own a watch!

Jun 7, 2004 at 4:45 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by peter braun
I made a Salamander Archetype clone using some steel rods and a few pieces of maple that I laminated together and finished. The total cost was under fifty dollars, it took me four evenings to complete, and all of the materials were available at Home Depot.

Nice work, Peter. Unfortunately, I am very seriously woodworking and construction challenged and so I am forced to actually BUY racks.
rolleyes.gif

JC

Jun 7, 2004 at 4:50 AM Post #12 of 15
Are you suggesting that a good rack will improve your sound quality? I'm too lazy to check your profile but unless you have premo gear you won't know the difference. If you have premo gear get the heaviest supports you can find. I'm curious. Do you really think the rack makes a difference in audio quaility with mid-level gear, or better? At that point moving your lampshade makes better sense.

Jun 7, 2004 at 5:57 AM Post #13 of 15
I think a good rack will improve my sound quality! Just like moving a lamp shade(seriously believe this can help!). Let me explain, coz being able to play and tweak my system conveniently is aided by a good rack. This improves the quality of my audio experience. If the rack helps to avoid obstructions for better speaker placement, wire management including headphone cables, access to my sources, especially since I enjoy vinyl and oh yeah cleaning.

So, yes, believe a good rack will improve sound quality at any level of gear. Aesthetics are also important. A nice environment is more pleasing as well and for me improves my overall mood and thus listening enjoyment. Plus one that does not cost to much, all relative of course, so can feel good about buying more music and gear.

IMO above are examples of characteristics and benefits of a good rack.

Some folks feel a scientific dampening rack defines good. Doubt it hurts, probably helps. I have neither the time nor inclination to prove to myself either way. For me I`ll forgoe those expensive Zoethecus types and find one that fits well in my environment, at least until I feel I have no other place better to spend my excess money!

Since, I do not have any lamp shades will continue searching for a good rack. My current rack was ok, when I lived in US and had lots of space, but a big heavy oak finished unit, hard to move/position.

Another DIY thread is below, but prefer to buy. If I cost out my time, and lack of efficiency in this area, no home depots for me, better value for me as well. But this is a hobby and sometimes part of the fun.

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...highlight=rack

Jun 8, 2004 at 4:37 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Norbert
Are you suggesting that a good rack will improve your sound quality? I'm too lazy to check your profile but unless you have premo gear you won't know the difference. If you have premo gear get the heaviest supports you can find. I'm curious. Do you really think the rack makes a difference in audio quaility with mid-level gear, or better? At that point moving your lampshade makes better sense.

No, I'm not suggesting that, and I do have fairly seriously good gear, but really, I'm simply looking for quality racks that meet my needs.

JC

Jun 8, 2004 at 4:54 AM Post #15 of 15
This is a very interesting thread. I have long thought that building a solid foundation is key to maximum performance (not just talking about audio equipment here either).

That said, I'm kind of interested in building my own rack. It has to be quite small and simple. I think that a maximum of three shelves including perhaps one cabinet and up to say four feet tall with three feet wide and about two and half feet deep. Does anyone here have a DIY book on how to make audio racks?
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back