Recommendations for new headphones under 150
Jul 1, 2013 at 10:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

EnigmaticLife

New Head-Fier
Hey!

I always thought beats were ridiculously overrated/priced and never got a pair even when they became the craze on my basketball team. I'm about to head off to college in SoCal now and I decided its time for me to spend the money to get a nicer pair of headphones. I always like to research before making a purchase and after a little while of looking around on amazon and then finding these forums it seems that there are so many superior headphones for a cheaper price than beats. Anyways, I think there are a lot of people with way more wisdom and experience on this forum than me so I figured I would try giving some details and hopefully you will be so kind as to give me advice. 
smile.gif

- I'm looking for new headphones preferably off amazon for under $150 (ideally around $100, but if you see a deal at like 149 or something that blows everything else out of the water, I would go for it). I'm also looking for a cheap, but decent headphone mic to go along with them, but a mic integrated on the headphones would be even better.

- I'll be using them in my dorm room, around college, and while studying. So I need closed, over-ear (possibly just on ear I guess) headphones. I love listening to almost all types of music depending on what mood I'm in.  Celine Dion, Lana Del Rey, The Killers, Smashing Pumpkins, Matt Kearny, John Mayer, Pink Floyd, Jay-Z, Linkin Park, Disturbed, Classical, Kenney Chesney, Goo Goo Dolls, etc. Various forms of rock and alternative is probably my favorite music and I don't really like electronic or dubstep though. I'll also be using them to watch school related material, conduct various computer projects and Skype interviews with a mic in the future, and study with classical music on to block the noise of a loud roommate or dorm hall and focus on studying. 

- I won't be buying an amp and I'll most likely only be using them with my iphone and computer so they need to work well without the amp. Looks aren't make or break for me if the audio is much better, but I'd prefer them to be somewhat aesthetic and that I would't look like a total nerd wearing them around some. Obviously they need to be somewhat durable for the college life too, although I'm pretty careful with my electronics. And they should be comfortable for studying. 

I greatly appreciate your suggestions for my needs and let me know if there is anything info that would help in considering what would be best for me! It would help me if you identify any pros/cons in addition to just the name because I'm guessing it will be hard to find a perfect fit.

Thanks so much!

- Josh 

Edit: Here are some that have caught my eye
Scosche RH1056M (I may get these, let me know what you think asap)
Ultrasone HFI-680 S-Logic 
Grado Prestige Series SR80i 
SOL REPUBLIC 1241-06 
AKG Pro Audio K271 MKII 

Jul 1, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #2 of 2
Takstar Pro 80 (Gemini HSR-1000) closed headphones, cost around $85.
As they are not name brand, might be less of a chance that someone might steal them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back