Recommendations for my first Hi-Fi headphones?
Apr 9, 2020 at 2:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Max Rayder

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm new to all audio related. Just wanted to get good headphones and ended up coming across what Hi-Fi is.
I mainly listen to music and do some gaming, and would like to make my introduction into this world of high fidelity audio with the best headphones my budget can afford for my first experience. After some research the Sennheiser HD 598 SR came up as the best entry point as it is a flat, balanced, all-rounder. The problem I saw them on amazon for 299 USD. I can only afford 199 preferably due to abusive import taxes on items 200+ in my country.

I have seen that the HD 599 (currently priced at 129 on amazon) is an update with better materials and a more "closer to the band soundstage", but have read some comments saying that (maybe because of that?) it isn't as flat and balanced as the 598 SR, but rather V-Shaped. So now I don't really know what to do as I would prefer them balanced and flat for my first experience. What are your thoughts on this? Is this really the case? Should that matter? Which one should I look to get?

Anyhow those are the headphones I came across. I would really like to know the recommendations from experienced people about the best headphones I can get for my needs at this pricepoint (199 US dollars). What are your recommendations?

Apr 9, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #2 of 6
Maybe try and find a good deal on a used HD598 (SR or other).
Get the older (and used) HD558 and remove the black rubber tape from inside the cups, making close to the HD598 sound.

Apr 9, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #3 of 6
Hi, I'm new to all audio related. Just wanted to get good headphones and ended up coming across what Hi-Fi is.
I mainly listen to music and do some gaming, and would like to make my introduction into this world of high fidelity audio with the best headphones my budget can afford for my first experience. After some research the Sennheiser HD 598 SR came up as the best entry point as it is a flat, balanced, all-rounder. The problem I saw them on amazon for 299 USD. I can only afford 199 preferably due to abusive import taxes on items 200+ in my country.

I have seen that the HD 599 (currently priced at 129 on amazon) is an update with better materials and a more "closer to the band soundstage", but have read some comments saying that (maybe because of that?) it isn't as flat and balanced as the 598 SR, but rather V-Shaped. So now I don't really know what to do as I would prefer them balanced and flat for my first experience. What are your thoughts on this? Is this really the case? Should that matter? Which one should I look to get?

Anyhow those are the headphones I came across. I would really like to know the recommendations from experienced people about the best headphones I can get for my needs at this pricepoint (199 US dollars). What are your recommendations?
https://www.sony.com › electronics
Web results
WH-CH710N Wireless Noise-Canceling Headphones | Sony US

The WH-CH710N Wireless Noise Canceling Headphones offer powerful, distraction-free listening wherever you are. With Noise Canceling via Dual Noise ...
Price US$199.99
these are the upcoming ones. Touch and hover controls. Superb comfort. Head turner looks and fits your budget. I've heard enough cans to recommend you to look no further than these. Value for money. Balanced sound. Get your hands on them when they launch in your country. There's also an official video on YouTube.
P.s balance and flat isn't the same thing. I'd suggest you take a preview of jargons in the glossary section. What you need is something close to balanced sound which is fuller and "fun" cheers!

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #4 of 6
Maybe try and find a good deal on a used HD598 (SR or other).
Get the older (and used) HD558 and remove the black rubber tape from inside the cups, making close to the HD598 sound.
Sorry for the late response.
Buying them used? I thought getting them new was a thing with headphones because of the drivers and stuff like that.
Actually I found someone selling a 598 SR used for about 120. So if that's the case, might go down that route then. So it doesn't matter?

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #5 of 6
https://www.sony.com › electronics
Web results
WH-CH710N Wireless Noise-Canceling Headphones | Sony US

The WH-CH710N Wireless Noise Canceling Headphones offer powerful, distraction-free listening wherever you are. With Noise Canceling via Dual Noise ...
Price US$199.99
these are the upcoming ones. Touch and hover controls. Superb comfort. Head turner looks and fits your budget. I've heard enough cans to recommend you to look no further than these. Value for money. Balanced sound. Get your hands on them when they launch in your country. There's also an official video on YouTube.
P.s balance and flat isn't the same thing. I'd suggest you take a preview of jargons in the glossary section. What you need is something close to balanced sound which is fuller and "fun" cheers!
Interesting, man thanks for the recommendation!, but since I'm into gaming and I play rhythm games quite a bit, I need wired headphones, and I really wouldn't have an use case for wireless. Also I have been reading about open back being superior because of the soundstage, which is important for some games.
So any other recommendations for me?

And to be honest I don't have to wait for any product to launch in my country, if it is available in the US (via Amazon, ebay, etc) I can purchase it and import it with ease, so that isn't a problem for me as long as it is under 200 bucks.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #6 of 6
Sorry for the late response.
Buying them used? I thought getting them new was a thing with headphones because of the drivers and stuff like that.
Actually I found someone selling a 598 SR used for about 120. So if that's the case, might go down that route then. So it doesn't matter?
$120 for the HD598 SR, go for it.
But plan on spending a few more dollars for new ear pads
$5 for generic ear pads, $20+ for better and $30 for factory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back