Recommendations for IEMs upto $100 please
Mar 2, 2011 at 5:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

kryten123

500+ Head-Fier
Hi Everyone,

My friend is looking to buy some IEMs in his first foray outside of Apple buds. He has tested an old pair of Shure SE115 and quite liked the sound and also a pair of Klipsch S4, which he found harsh and trebly.
I have loaned him my Shure SE530 in the meantime and he is very happy with those. I have pointed out that he will not get quite the same SQ with IEMs under $100
bigsmile_face.gif

As I have been out of the game with IEMs in the under $100 price range for some time, can anyone recommend any IEMs which will sound fairly decent, after having become accustomed to the SE530s?

His main music preferences are Rock and Blues.

Thanks in advance.

Mar 2, 2011 at 5:53 AM Post #2 of 5
Let him keep the se530 for a week or two and he'll up his budget? Other than that the best places to look are probably Joker and ClieOS's threads, maybe he should get the new Shure se215 which launched yesterday, then he can review them for us!! They're apparently pretty good too http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/542003/new-shure-se215-first-impressions, especially if he's already said he likes shure's.

Mar 2, 2011 at 6:09 AM Post #3 of 5
Marcus_C ....lol

He's already had the SE530s for a few weeks but unfortunately his wife thinks it's mad that anyone would want to spend more than $20 on earphones, let alone $300. So, I think he managed to agree up to $100 :wink:

I've suggested the SE215 but have not been able to find any decent write ups on them...thanks for the link, I'll pass it on to him.

Mar 2, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #4 of 5
Although it's not a favored flavor around here, the Etymotic MC5 provides clean, neutral sound, excellent isolation, and first-rate build quality for $79.

Mar 2, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #5 of 5
Go with the Sunrise SW-Xcape. (version 2 because of improved build quality)

I purchased them from a seller on ebay named ukheadphones. (ships overseas)  and took less then 2 weeks to get to me here in the U.S.

They sound great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back