Recommendations for headphones >$100
Dec 28, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #16 of 20
I am thinking about getting some decent headphones for under $100. Are the open air ones, like the Grado 60i, to "loud" to be for private listening? Can they be heard by those around you, like on a plane?

Dec 29, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by nullstring /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And the Denon D1001's are fantastic.

x2 on the AH-D1001. Given what you listen to, I would also suggest the HD 448.

Quote:

Originally Posted by volntitan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am thinking about getting some decent headphones for under $100. Are the open air ones, like the Grado 60i, to "loud" to be for private listening? Can they be heard by those around you, like on a plane?

You can't use Grados on a plane! Or any open headphone for that matter.

Dec 29, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #19 of 20
I love female singing with the AD700, they are a very nice can for midrange and treble and are one of the best bang for the buck headphones out there. In fact I have struggled to find the right upgrade from them for myself as most of the more expensive headphones I have been able to try or have bought while alot more expensive have not wowed me like the AD700 did. I have just recently finally tried and am really liking a pair of HD600 which used are still double the price of the AD700 and require at least a couple hundred dollar amp to go with them and if I had bought the phone new they are well over 4 times the cost of the AD700.

For places to try these out it will depend on where you live. In Canada they are very hard to find, I live in Calgary and found them at Axe Music but I have not seen them carried in any other brick and mortar store here. You might get lucky and be able to try them at a headphone meet if there are any in your area. If you can't try them out don't give up on them and just settle for the run of the mill stuff all the chain store carry though, take a chance on a used pair if nothing else from the FS forums here, thats how I got started and it was a very worthwhile step.

Goodluck in what ever your decide.

Dec 29, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #20 of 20
I love my Sennheiser EH350s, which do a remarkable job in the mids and highs. They have a decent soundstage, and the clarity is incredible. They are a bit lacking in the bass though (they have very clear bass, but not much of it) - if you don't mind that, they're worth a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back