Recommendations for HD800s DAC/AMP?
Jun 2, 2018 at 3:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

CodaDoyle

New Head-Fier
TL;DR: Is Yamaha MG10XU mixer a good enough DAC, or should I upgrade? (With Schitt magni 3 AMP)

I recently order some HD800s' and should receive them Monday. My setup will consist of audio from my computer > Yamaha MG10XU > Schitt Magni 3 > HD800s. I also have a Shure SM7B mic going to the Yamaha MG10XU, which allows me to hear my own voice and manage the audio levels when gaming.

I haven't heard noticeable bad audio from my Yamaha mixer, although I've never compared it to a high end DAC. I'm wondering if I am missing out on better audio by using this Yamaha mixer.

I'm thinking about getting the Schitt Lyr 3 as a DAC/AMP for when I'm listening to music/movies, and the Yamaha mixer/magni 3 for gaming. I keep hearing good things about pairing a good tube amp with HD800s'.

What do you guys recommend I do? I love the Yamaha mixer (With Fostex THX-00) for gaming as I can manage sound levels easily and hear how loud my voice is in real time, but I also want to get the best sound quality. My budget is $500-800, but I could go higher if it's worth it.

Jun 2, 2018 at 5:00 AM Post #2 of 15
Jun 2, 2018 at 8:53 AM Post #3 of 15
If you mean 800S not for sure have heard them but own the 800’s and I truly love them from my Chord Mojo for a transportable setup. Also the Massdrop Cavalli Tube Hybrid is also a great value for $250 USD love it with the 6xx’s and just about everything else I have plus it can also drive the Abyss pretty well.

Jun 2, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #4 of 15
Why not wait until you ve had your 800s for a month or so , see how they re growing on you with your current set up and then check your options. For sure the 800s will clearly highlight any SQ shortcomings from which point your sonic preferences and taste and the synergy with your equipment would be more suitable deciding factors.

Jun 2, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #5 of 15
Why not wait until you ve had your 800s for a month or so , see how they re growing on you with your current set up and then check your options. For sure the 800s will clearly highlight any SQ shortcomings from which point your sonic preferences and taste and the synergy with your equipment would be more suitable deciding factors.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely be waiting a month or so to decide if I want an upgrade. Problem is I've never used high quality DACs so I don't know if I'm experiencing shortcomings on the Yamaha MG10XU. I guess my best option would be to bring my hd800s to an audio store, where I could test on different dacs and amps.

Jun 2, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #6 of 15
The HD 800 and HD 800 S really need a top of the line amp to sound their best. That isn't to say they can't sound okay out of something not top tier though.

Definitely test out different DACs and amps available. With your budget though, I guess I'd aim for the Antique Sound Labs MG Head DT OTL MKIII or even a Bottlehead Crack + Speedball but this requires assembly. And a Schiit Modi Multibit DAC.

Jun 2, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #7 of 15
If you pay $1000+ for a headphone, you should reasonably expect to spend that much for an amp and that much for a DAC, to realize the full potential of the headphone. Just sayin ... you may do alright with much less, but you're not going to find out the limits of the HD800 that way.

Jun 4, 2018 at 2:30 AM Post #8 of 15
If you have $999 to toss around I would personally recommend the RME ADI -2 DAC. Solid AIO and complements the HD800 very well. Does give it some upper mids and tames the thickness down a little. I would expect it to sound great with the 800S as well.

Jun 4, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #9 of 15
I just got my HD800S in, and it sounds just amazing as I remember when I tried them a year ago. Listening with Yamaha MG10XU and Magni 3. Haven't broken them in yet, but they are definitely brighter than I'd like them to be. Since I just spent $1000+ on these headphones, I don't want to spend too much quite yet on DAC/AMP. I'll probably get the Modi Multibit. And been eyeing the Little Dot mkiii with replacement tubes. Would you guys recommend this setup as a way to add warmth/get into tubes for relatively cheap, and get them to sound less harsh?

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2018 at 12:53 AM Post #10 of 15
I just got my HD800S in, and it sounds just amazing as I remember when I tried them a year ago. Listening with Yamaha MG10XU and Magni 3. Haven't broken them in yet, but they are definitely brighter than I'd like them to be. Since I just spent $1000+ on these headphones, I don't want to spend too much quite yet on DAC/AMP. I'll probably get the Modi Multibit. And been eyeing the Little Dot mkiii with replacement tubes. Would you guys recommend this setup as a way to add warmth/get into tubes for relatively cheap, and get them to sound less harsh?
No. Don't bother spending on cheap chifi tubes. If you don't have money to throw around don't invest in tube amps. Just eq the 6k peak down a little. With Equaliser APO.

Jun 5, 2018 at 1:00 AM Post #11 of 15
You can also use the Schiit Loki tonal control to round out the triple stack. I'm still uncertain as to whether it gives any actual benefit over free equalization (it's also much more limited coming with only four knobs) but a number of people like it.

Jun 15, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #13 of 15
If you have $999 to toss around I would personally recommend the RME ADI -2 DAC. Solid AIO and complements the HD800 very well. Does give it some upper mids and tames the thickness down a little. I would expect it to sound great with the 800S as well.

That thing looks amazing. Is it only a DAC or also an Amp?
I got a paid of 800s’s fro a stupid low price, so i’m in the same boat as @CodaDoyle
Currently running these on a PS Audio Sprout 100 and I really don’t think it’s doing them justice.

Jun 19, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #15 of 15
sometimes its not the headphone that causes the brightness... I would look into different amp options.

Check out the Elemental Watson when you have time. thats been my budget pick for an amp for years now. Still haven't found much if anything to beat it for what it does. not to mention its at the no brainer price of $250.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back