Recommendations for first desktop rig. Oppo HA-1, Schiit Mjolnir/Gungnir, Audio GD?
Jun 6, 2015 at 12:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Poimandres

Headphoneus Supremus
Looking for some help on my first desktop rig. Looking at the Oppo HA-1, Schiit Mjolnir / Gungnir Stack, Audio GD 10.32, etc? Any recommendations and/or comparisons appreciated. Will be paired with Alpha Primes and Sennheiser HD650's.

Jul 28, 2015 at 5:10 AM Post #2 of 6
I'm currently searching in what I think is the same price range for something to go with my Audeze lcd-xc & Sennheiser hd700.

on my day off next week I'm hoping to demo the oppo ha-1, shiit gungir & mjolnir, auralic gemini 2000, Audeze deckard and fostex hp-a8c at my local dealer, sadly they don't have the audio gd 10 so I won't speak to that.
I've spent about 2 hours with the alpha primes, so I have a good idea of the few ways they differ from the xc's. the 700's have a fair bit in common with the 650's so I'll get back to you

Jul 28, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #3 of 6
I have heard a HD700 sound really good with the Fostex A8 amp, the HD700 was connected to the A8 with a DIY cable made with mogami 2534. The DIY cable was terminated with 2x TRS jacks, one jack wired for left channel and the other for the right channel, both jacks connected to the two phono outs from the A8. No harsh sound from the HD700, even better than using a 4-pins balance connection of the HD700 to a sennheiser hdva600 amp. With the Hd700 stock cable, singe TRS jack, it sounded ordinary with the A8 though.

Jul 28, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #4 of 6
I have heard a HD700 sound really good with the Fostex A8 amp, the HD700 was connected to the A8 with a DIY cable made with mogami 2534. The DIY cable was terminated with 2x TRS jacks, one jack wired for left channel and the other for the right channel, both jacks connected to the two phono outs from the A8. No harsh sound from the HD700, even better than using a 4-pins balance connection of the HD700 to a sennheiser hdva600 amp. With the Hd700 stock cable, singe TRS jack, it sounded ordinary with the A8 though.

I don't envy the guy who had to attach a mic cable to 2.5mm mono plugs, I've replugged a couple guitar cables, that was fiddly enough for me. although I've never heard suicide rates among people who make midi cables being higher than average so what would I know on the subject!

to be honest the 700's are kinda an after thought now I have lcd xc's, Also 'pro tip' don't explain the differences of open and closed headphones to your girlfriend
my current search for an amp/dac is more focussed on xc's, if the 700's pair well too it's a bonus, if they don't then based on what money I have left (hopefully some!) then I might look into something OTL for the 700's

Feb 4, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #5 of 6
Hi, new on the forum and saw this old thread. It looks like Poimandres went with the Schiit. I'm curious, what did you end up with for the XCs, Dickies?

Mar 16, 2016 at 4:54 AM Post #6 of 6
Hi, new on the forum and saw this old thread. It looks like Poimandres went with the Schiit. I'm curious, what did you end up with for the XCs, Dickies?

oppo ha-1, which I still have and like plenty have since moved on from both xc and hd700
been slumming it with portable phones while I save for a pair of ether c

Users who are viewing this thread

Back