Recommendations for ety er-4 replacement
Jan 19, 2015 at 9:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Matte82

100+ Head-Fier
Hello. I've been a member here for a bit and post quite rarely. Anyway first for some background. Hobbyist musician/audio engineer using in-ears for most of my work. Looking for headphones that translate my mixing work to other systems as accurately as possible.

My first set of nice in-ears was some etymotic Er-4pt's. Bought them from so many reviews saying how neutral they are. So they were my base headphones. I do really like them, and am quite comfortable with them. But considering the cost didn't want to use them for day to day listening. So I bought some hf3's to use with my iPhone. A lot like the er4's and also really nice. I also picked up a set of krk kns8400's for an over ear set. And I bought some sennheiser hd280's a long time ago. Mostly due to them having good leakage suppression. Important when tracking vocals. Then recently, after reading the ttpod t2 thread, saw that mass drop had the t1e's for $29. Thought why not? So that's my frames of reference.

Overall I must say I'm more of a fan of the in-ears. They seem to provide a greater deal of detail. Especially in the mids and highs. And it's possible that's due to the amount of isolation the in-ears, especially the ety's provide. And being that isolation is important to me, let's stick mostly with in ear suggestions. But if there is some over-ear set-up that's right up my alley I'll def listen.

So what's started me down this path is the low end extension of the t1e's. I can hear low end noise and rumble I've never heard with the ety's. And probably not anything else I've tried. And this extends even up to the low mids. But the isolation on them isn't very good. Probably mostly due to the very short nozzle. That almost sit outside my ears. But that might be why I like their soundstage a little better. They seem to be a bit wider. Which I do like.

Basically what I'm wanting is something clear in the highs and mids like the ety's, but not sibilant. Has really good isolation like the ety's. Maybe a wider soundstage like the t1e's, and def their bass extension. I wouldn't mind if the bass was a little clearer and less boomy. So less worried about quantity and more about quality. I've thought about ety's er6i, but since they're not in production, not sure I want to go that route. Let me know what ideas you guys have. I'd prefer to keep it under $300. But willing to go outside that if need be. And if there is some combo of in-ear with different tips let me know that also. I do realize how much tips can change things. Also not too interested in customs. Mostly because I'm not sure there any good audiologists in my neck of the woods. Would have to drive 100 miles to Dallas or okc. Thanks.

Jan 20, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #2 of 4
lol - so, *all* you need is an IEM with great low extension, and a clear & detailed, but not sibilant high end, wide soundstage, and excellent isolation for under $300.

Yeah, I would want that too! That sounds like a *perfect* IEM... :p

I haven't heard any of these, so please do your own research:
http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone_review/fidue-a83/
http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone_review/dunu-dn-2000/
http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone_review/ultimate-ears-ue-900/

Jan 20, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #3 of 4
You know. Pretty simple request really. Lol. And the under $300 was mostly due to budget restraints at the moment. I could spend more. Just need to find a place to sell a wife, or maybe a kid or two. But back to reality. If I could somehow merger my Ety's and my T1E's, I'd be pretty close to what would be perfect for me. Okay guess that's not terrible realistic either.

Thanks for the recommendationis. I will look at those. If anyone else has some to share let me know.

May 30, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #4 of 4
Thought I would reply to this. I think I found what I'm looking for. Those Flare Audio R2Pro's are exactly what I wanted. Great low end. Full with deep extension. Smooth yet clear upper mids and highs. Superb soundstage, and as much or more isolation than what my Ety's provide.

Anyone want to buy my ER4PT's? I'll throw in a zippered etymotic case and all the extra tips I have. Make me an offer? :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back