Recommendations for closed work headphones (replacing stolen A900's)
Jun 13, 2013 at 3:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

commando

Headphoneus Supremus
I've had some 5+ year old A900 headphones stolen from work :frowning2: They're great headphones, great bass, detailed music, comfortable, and they block out enough external noise to be useful at work. I also own Beats by Dr Dre, Audeze LCD-2, Senn HD-280, have had those big comfortable Sony's with the lamb skin pads, HD650, and I've heard many many headphones.

Edit/update: I already tried the A900X, the new 3D wing provides no support, the headphones keep slipping down and resting on my ears, which is quite uncomfortable.

Jun 13, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #2 of 25
I paid $256 for my A900Xs and I use them more then my other headphones.
Currently you can get the ATH-A900Xs for $170, so I say go for it.
The only "problem" with them is the wings, kind of weak, headphones will slide down until the ear pads are resting on top of my ears.
Found that when your not using them, you tie the wings down (towards the cups), over night (or two), the springs that control the wings do a better job of keeps the ear cups centered over the ears.

Jun 13, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #3 of 25
Quote:
I paid $256 for my A900Xs and I use them more then my other headphones.
Currently you can get the ATH-A900Xs for $170, so I say go for it.
The only "problem" with them is the wings, kind of weak, headphones will slide down until the ear pads are resting on top of my ears.
Found that when your not using them, you tie the wings down (towards the cups), over night (or two), the springs that control the wings do a better job of keeps the ear cups centered over the ears.

Thanks PA. I've read on AudioCubes too that the new system isn't as good. The old ones were really great. Is there much difference in the sound?

Jun 14, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Thanks PA. I've read on AudioCubes too that the new system isn't as good. The old ones were really great. Is there much difference in the sound?

From the one comparison I've read, comparing the A900 to the A900X, it was about 50/50, each had their positives over the other.
But...... the A900 was well broken in and the A900X was brand new.
My A900X's audio quality improved after a few weeks of use, so my best "guess" is you will at least like the A900X sound a little better then the A900, after the A900Xs break in.
I'm going to "guess" the A900X will have more bass then the A900s, not sure by how much.

When I first bought the ATH-A900Xs, I was so unhappy with the wings (for headphone that cost me $256) I was thinking of returning them.
But I could not find every piece that came in the box and did not want to have to pay a restocking fee, for the box missing a few minor things.
So I decided to just keep them for a few months, thinking I can always sell off used, thought I could get to get enough money for them that it would be close to the same
amount I would have gotten back from returning them, figuring in the restocking fee and return shipping cost.
But after "fixing" the wing issue and lots of break in time, they became my "number one" closed headphone.
The A900Xs has more bass them my (used $315) Beyerdynamic T70s.
If my A900Xs ever broke (like stepped on), I would have no problem reordering them for the current $170 price.

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #5 of 25
Just a quick update. The A900X's I had were quite bad, the 3D wing provided very little support and they slid down my head and rested on my ears. I sent them back to AudioCubes, they sent them to Audio Technica, they've said they're not faulty - so it's bad design. AudioCubes to their credit gave me a full refund, less shipping.

So now I'm looking for headphones again - any further help?

Things I'm considering:
 - MrSpeakers - they're Fostex T50RP's modded. Meant to be pretty good, but I have a feeling headphones should be good out of the box, not after stuffing cotton wool into them and such. Still, they could be interesting.
 - BeyerDynamic 770s - owned them before, too much bass

That's it really. I loved my A900s and I'm gutted they were stolen.

Aug 8, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #6 of 25
$175 for the ZMF modded T50RPs through today. See this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/667870/review-zmf-modified-fostex-t50rp-superb

Aug 8, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #7 of 25
$175 for the ZMF modded T50RPs through today. See this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/667870/review-zmf-modified-fostex-t50rp-superb

Thanks, significantly cheaper than Mad Dogs, but I think I like the idea of the better pads, head strap, money back guarantee, etc.

Are there any stock headphones I can buy that are worth considering?

Aug 9, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #13 of 25
What about the AKG K550s?
cel4145 seems to like the K550s better then the A900Xs.

There are several used one up for bids on eBay.
New one start at $199.

HarmonAudio, AKG's parent company has a few refurb K550s listed on eBay, full factory warranties.

What are you using to power headphones?

Aug 9, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #14 of 25

New one start at $199.

HarmonAudio, AKG's parent company has a few refurb K550s listed on eBay, full factory warranties.

I think they are definitely comparable in class to the A900X, but the sound signature is a good bit different.

Also, because of the fit issues people have, I would recommend doing with HK's ebay listing so you could return them if you don't like them (I'm assuming that they will take returns).

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

New one start at $199.

Quote:
I think they are definitely comparable in class to the A900X, but the sound signature is a good bit different.

Also, because of the fit issues people have, I would recommend doing with HK's ebay listing so you could return them if you don't like them (I'm assuming that they will take returns).

Thanks for the suggestion. They're apparently not great for people with small heads - I think mine's a little smaller than average. They sound like they're a reference headphone, which isn't really what I need for work - it'd be fine, but I don't mind something a bit colored. Between those two points I think they're not quite right for me.

At work I'll be driving headphones with a phone - Galaxy S4. Since I had headphones stolen I want a pair of headphones I can easily throw in a locked drawer at night, an amp makes that more difficult as it has to be unplugged and put away as well. The A900s sounded great out of a phone/iPod.

At home I have LCD2 driven by a DAC/PPA.

I think Foxtex T50RP are the current front runner. Perhaps the $300 mad dog version, perhaps if I can find a simple mod I'll get them and do something myself. I'm not really into that sort of thing, but I'm handy enough so I could probably manage. I'd rather just buy something, I'm just having a hard time spending $300 on a $75 headphone that's been modified with $50 worth of parts and sold for a lot more than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back