Recommendations for closed headphones for classical for under $600
Feb 1, 2012 at 10:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

stephenbou

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone; this is my first post to the forum. I was hoping get a recommendation for a pair of headphones.

I'm interested in a closed design for listening to music at work. I typically use a total bithead amplifier and lossless iTunes and about 80% of my collection is classical music. I currently have a Sennheiser HD555, but with the fan noise at work and it being an open design it's not giving me a great experience at all. It also doesn't seem very efficient.

I'm willing to have a larger budget this time, up to about $600. Since it's classical music (all kinds, perhaps more symphonic), I'd like something with a great soundstage and a flat, natural sounding response. I'd love to hear some suggestions. Thanks!

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #3 of 5

LithoJazoSphere

100+ Head-Fier
The Denons aren't likely to be as flat as he'd like, and they don't really provide great isolation (though certainly much better than the 555).  The Shure SRH-940 would have better isolation, be closer to neutral (slightly bass deficient and maybe a little bright though).  The AKG K-550 and Beyerdynamic T70 are also worth looking into.

Users who are viewing this thread