Recommendations for closed-cans over hear ($150-200)
Jun 20, 2018 at 1:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Konngara

New Head-Fier
Greetings, I'm new here :dt880smile:

I would appreciate if anyone can recommend me some closed (or semi closed, but I want some isolation) cans over-hear for $150-200.
I had akg k167 for almost two years but they went gradually falling apart despite I was careful with them. Those are poorly built. I wouldn't recommend those but the truth is that I liked their signature (I'm a bass-head?) so i'm looking for something similar or superior.

I'm interested on the v-moda m100 or shure 840 but i'm not really sure if those would be good. Any recommendations?
I had a beyerdynamic 1350 but I have those mostly for when I have to do long walks (and those are really good for that) but when I'm home I feel that those lack of soundstage and bass, besides that they hurt my hears after a while.

I listen many genres of music but I could say that I listen more rock, electronic, instrumental, orquestal, acoustic and jazz (then pop, folkloric, country, etc).
I would stretch a little more my wallet if you give me a really good suggestion (the problem is that I'm from Mexico and cans are overpriced here in many cases :confused:)

Thanks for reading and I would appreciate your comments.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #2 of 16

I would appreciate if anyone can recommend me some closed (or semi closed, but I want some isolation) cans over-hear for $150-200.
I had akg k167 for almost two years but they went gradually falling apart despite I was careful with them. Those are poorly built. I wouldn't recommend those but the truth is that I liked their signature (I'm a bass-head?) so i'm looking for something similar or superior.

I'm interested on the v-moda m100 or shure 840 but i'm not really sure if those would be good. Any recommendations?
I had a beyerdynamic 1350 but I have those mostly for when I have to do long walks (and those are really good for that) but when I'm home I feel that those lack of soundstage and bass, besides that they hurt my hears after a while.

I listen many genres of music but I could say that I listen more rock, electronic, instrumental, orquestal, acoustic and jazz (then pop, folkloric, country, etc).
I would stretch a little more my wallet if you give me a really good suggestion (the problem is that I'm from Mexico and cans are overpriced here in many cases :confused:)

Save some money and go with the Status Audio CB- 1. It hangs in there very well with my higher-priced headphones, and is utterly comfortable. Plenty of bass and a decent Sound Stage. Good luck.

Jun 20, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #3 of 16
I would seriously suggest saving up for the $300 ZMF Classic or Argon Mk3. They should both outclass all closed and semi open options below them. As for which one of these two, I will be getting both and writing a review/comparison here but I can't say yet.

Jun 20, 2018 at 7:19 PM Post #5 of 16
Soundmagic HP200 open headphones.
(or the open HP150/HP151 headphones)

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #6 of 16
The 840s won't satisfy your bass craving. M100s aren't bad, but the mids are a little scooped. While auditioning the M100s I almost left with them. That was before I heard the Meze 99 Neo.

Jun 21, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #8 of 16
Hi! Thanks for yours answers.

Save some money and go with the Status Audio CB- 1. It hangs in there very well with my higher-priced headphones, and is utterly comfortable. Plenty of bass and a decent Sound Stage. Good luck.
Do you have any idea how durable those can be? I had a bad experience with my k167 and I don't wanna spend on a can that only will last like one year. I would like to know if they crack somewhere or peel off on the pads after some time.

I would seriously suggest saving up for the $300 ZMF Classic or Argon Mk3. They should both outclass all closed and semi open options below them. As for which one of these two, I will be getting both and writing a review/comparison here but I can't say yet.
ouch, none of those cans are available in my country in any online shop. But I'm curious about these and I will looking forward in read your reviews.

Fostex t40p. Great out of box and easy to mod cheaply if the mood takes you
I haven't heard about that brand until now, but I can see why, in online stores they only have like 2-4 models here
On amazon they just have t20p and t50p, any idea about those? Also, they are like $220 usd here, is that a fair price?

Soundmagic HP200 open headphones.
I'm looking for closed headphones, I don't want to bother people with my music and I don't wanna be bother by the noise outside, thanks anyways.

The 840s won't satisfy your bass craving. M100s aren't bad, but the mids are a little scooped. While auditioning the M100s I almost left with them. That was before I heard the Meze 99 Neo.
Apparently in my country it's only available that model that seems to have wood in their cans, and their price is +$500, yikes, I can't afford that :sweat_smile:

Sennheiser HD380 are pretty good for Bass. These are actually Studio headphones so they Sound a Little more analytic but it's a good clear sound.
Thanks for your suggestion, I had listen to Sennheiser HD518 and find them be something "smooth" and "dark". It's that a common signature on Sennheiser?

Thanks to everyone so far, I'm sorry if it seems like I'm making excuses, it's just that here some things are overpriced or just are unavailable in any store.

Jun 21, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #9 of 16
Fostex is a Japanese brand known for high end speakers and headphones. The T20RP, T40RP, and T50RP are all the same headphone but with one big exception for each: the T20RP is open back, the T40RP is closed back, and the T50RP is semi-open (mostly closed).

Personally I have only used the T50RP MK3 between the two. According to Fostex, the T20RP is the bassiest and the T40RP is the most neutral.

Jun 21, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #10 of 16
Hi
The fostex tp series are basically the same headphone,
Same planar drivers and cables, same everything basically.
With the t40p are closed back, t50p are semi open and t20p are open back.
The difference is different thickness of acoustic felt covering the vents
Had both the t40p and t50p and to be honest there isn't a lot of difference between the two in sound leakage , the t50p sounded slightly better too
Price sounds reasonable.

Jun 21, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #11 of 16
Hi! Thanks for yours answers.
I'm looking for closed headphones, I don't want to bother people with my music and I don't wanna be bother by the noise outside, thanks anyways.
How about the Soundmagic HP150/HP151 (closed) headphones?

Jun 21, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #13 of 16
Fostex is a Japanese brand known for high end speakers and headphones. The T20RP, T40RP, and T50RP are all the same headphone but with one big exception for each: the T20RP is open back, the T40RP is closed back, and the T50RP is semi-open (mostly closed).

Personally I have only used the T50RP MK3 between the two. According to Fostex, the T20RP is the bassiest and the T40RP is the most neutral.
Hi
The fostex tp series are basically the same headphone,
Same planar drivers and cables, same everything basically.
With the t40p are closed back, t50p are semi open and t20p are open back.
The difference is different thickness of acoustic felt covering the vents
Had both the t40p and t50p and to be honest there isn't a lot of difference between the two in sound leakage , the t50p sounded slightly better too
Price sounds reasonable.
Guess that my attention is for now on the t50p. Can their pads be replaced? Doing a quick research I read that some people find that those are uncomfortable. I listen music for more than 3 hours. I'm also interested how is build quality is.

How about the Soundmagic HP150/HP151 (closed) headphones?
I didn't know about those, how is the build quality?

Can,t believe I forgot beyerdynamic dt770 pro
Monster bass, good isolation and cheap.
Thanks, I will kept those on mind too.

I will be mostly in home using the headphones so I don't care about portability or looks but something that caught my attention to the v moda m100 (for example) was her build quality (I read that those are like monsters), I want something that can last and don't peel off or crack easily.

I forgot to mention but I also have a fiio e18, if that matters somehow.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #14 of 16
Guess that my attention is for now on the t50p. Can their pads be replaced? Doing a quick research I read that some people find that those are uncomfortable. I listen music for more than 3 hours. I'm also interested how is build quality is.
I didn't know about those, how is the build quality?.
The Fostex TR50p, with the right choice in ear pads, is something i would look into, for your budget.
I own the HP200 and I'm ok with the build quality, and ok with recommending the Soundmagic to someone else, but it does have a few negatives owner reviews, on build quality.
The Soundmagic HP151 might offer improvement in build quality (heard that somewwhere).

Jun 21, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #15 of 16
Yeah pad swapping happens all the time with the T50RP, it is probably the most modded headphone of all time. My previous recommendations, the ZMF Classic and Argon Mk3, are actually heavily modded T50RPs.

However, note that a stock T50RP needs shallow pads to sound good. If you use thick pads, the sound is ruined.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back