Recommendations for Best headphones on the market (new and old)
Jun 9, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #811 of 1,076
Hi

Need some advice about IEM/Earbud.
Need to get them due to recent move and need to travel on train now. Im using PortaPro but noise on train is terrible. My friend got Koss Sparkplug but they are very dull and too much bass.

Whats the difference between IEM and earbud?

Anyways around £80/$120.
Music type mostly vocals, will need dynamic bass but not very strong.
Most important are mids, than highs.
Warm nice spacious feeling (if possible).

Quite important is noise reduction from outside. Dont mind if cheaper than budget.

Thanks

Jun 10, 2009 at 9:56 AM Post #812 of 1,076
Hi guys, it's newbie question
biggrin.gif

I am looking for a fullsize can that is good at playing classical music (symphony, sonata concerto, in general: instrument) , I have interest in the DT880 - DT990 - AKG701 & HD650; but for now the only available is DT990
frown.gif
... Compared to DT880 and the others, is DT990 better?

Jun 11, 2009 at 8:13 AM Post #813 of 1,076
I need a recommendation for the best Headphones (for me).

I'm planning on spending between $300 and $500 for the phones. I'm also planning on spending between $100 and $500 for a headphone amp. I am hoping that in addition to recommending headphones that might suit me I might also get a recommendation for an amp that would compliment those headphones.

I will use the phones for listening to Movies and music. I have a broad range of musical tastes, including Beethoven, Hendrix, Miles Davis, Electric Skychurch, John Prine, Pink Floyd, String Cheese Incident, etc. Pretty much everything, but leaning toward psychedelic rock.

I will also use these phones for recording, editing, mixing, and mastering electric guitar based music via software recording programs like Adobe Audition and FL Studio. I have an Echo Audio Darla 24/96 soundcard and a Soundblaster Audigy in the PC. The Adobe audition program can go as high as 192/24. I record in 96/24 as that is as high as my soundcard will go. I would like to have a DAC/Headphone amp that can translate this resolution for playback through the phones.

So I need phones that are good at movies, music, and recording.

I have been reading about various phones and a few seem to stand out: Sennheiser HD650; Beyerdynamic DT880; AKG 702; Grado RS1.

From what I've been able to gather, the Sennheiser kills at classical or acoustic music, but is week, lazy, relaxed, or unexciting for rock and roll, like Led Zeppelin for example. The Grado sounds like the best for rock music, but there is a near universal agreement that it is uncomfortable to wear and that is a deal-breaker for me. I want to be comfortable. The Beyerdynamics are reputed to maybe be the most comfortable. There is also talk of them having sound that is a contender for the best of its class (pricewise). One poster on this forum laughed at another who recommended the DT880 for rock. Thoughts about that? Finally, the AKG appears to be very precise and highly detailed without being shrill. To be honest, it's very hard to know what people are describing sometimes and whether what one says is even vaguely related to what another says. It is highly unlikely that I will be able to audition this equipment in vivo.

As far as amps, I have read that the Headroom Micro Amps are good. And I read quite a bit about the Zero DAC/amp from China. It sounds like people are less hepped up about that one across time. It also sounds like the AG Compass is well liked. The website even gives a shout out to the Head-fi forum people for their input to its current incarnation.

If you can give me any suggestions or guidance, it will be greatly appreciated.

Jun 11, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #814 of 1,076
Candlepower: try adjusting your budget to about $400 for DAC, $400 for amp, and $200 for headphones. There's no point getting better phones is your source is weak. You'll simply be hearing the limitations of your upstream components, rather than the goodness of your headphones. Mid-tier phones cost about $200-$300; new mid-tier DACs and amps are more like $1K each.

Anyways, I believe Audio Technicas might be worth looking into. In your price range, you would be looking at the 700 series, 900 series, or EWS9. I only have experience with higher end Audio Technicas, but I can tell you that they are definitely among the best.

Jun 11, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #815 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by InfiniteZr0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys, I'm in bit of a pickle here
I tried to buy a pair of JVC HA-RX700s on Amazon, but I found out that the prospective ship date is in one to two months!
They were selling it for $41 with free shipping.
I'm not asking anyone here to be my personal servant, but I was just wondering if anyone know of a similar deal off the top of their head.
Thanks for any halp.

Hey guys, I found them for the same price at newegg.com
$41 and free 3 business day shipping.
So if you don't want to wait 1-2 months for Amazon to get them in stock, newegg looks solid.
I ordered them a couple days ago and they should arrive by tomorrow.

Jun 12, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #816 of 1,076
Audio Technica L3000. Though hard to find under $3500 USD they have Bass and PRaT and Magic that only the R10 beats but have their own special intimacy. Truly my wet dream.

Jun 16, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #817 of 1,076
What's the best headphones for around $100-150 range, that will be the best possible headphones for Trance/Techno and some Rap and some Pop? I love my bass! Preferably closed rather than open aired, but I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks

Jun 22, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #818 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by supram4n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the best headphones for around $100-150 range, that will be the best possible headphones for Trance/Techno and some Rap and some Pop? I love my bass! Preferably closed rather than open aired, but I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks

I am second to above post, but mostly I listen to rock and metal.
Now I am using ety er-6i and phonak PFE, and trying to acquire cmoy amp, Sony x1000 series and a can headphone.
Deep bass and stylist is a must for me.
Thanks

Jun 23, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #819 of 1,076
Denon D7000 are best most practical or HF-2

Jun 24, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #820 of 1,076
i compared the d7000 to the rs1i and rs 2i. they are actually comparable imho. i was torn between the 3. the grados didnt need much power to dound good. and ive wanted grados for a while now. i tried the gs 1000i but the limitation of my cheapo amp was glaring n i didnt want tospend over a grand.

long story short, rs1 n 2i wer cheaper n sounded almost as good if not better in the midrange but the denons were more comfortable n had more range.

rs2i seems the best value. it was about 40k yen (400 bux) cheaper n sounded great.

sorry for the ignorant post. but hope this helps a little bit.

-infant audiophile

Jun 30, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #822 of 1,076
Probably Sennheiser Orpheus 25k

Jun 30, 2009 at 11:46 AM Post #824 of 1,076
I've seen a picture of them and it seems they come with a tube amp. Is this the reason they are so expensive?

And moreover are they even the best headphones out there? I mean are they the absolute winner, or can ou do better for much less?

Jun 30, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #825 of 1,076
Wow holy smokes they are for sale! If only I could be out of college I would spend it all on this stuff for a year and be done
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back