Recommendations for Best headphones on the market (new and old)
Aug 22, 2007 at 11:45 PM Post #496 of 1,076
For <$100, I don't think there's anything that can beat the Koss PortaPro's or the Sennheiser PX100's. The PortaPro's have a wonderful warm sound whereas the PX100's are just nice clean headphones.

I also really love my Sennheiser HD595's because of their aggressive sound.

Aug 24, 2007 at 10:20 AM Post #497 of 1,076
dare i suggest the Senns CX300?

Bang for buck, they have to be in the top 5 of best value for money IEM's on the market, Hugely engoyable, (which is after all the point)

Aug 26, 2007 at 10:55 PM Post #498 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiddleMinger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, I was wondering what are the best headphones to get for noise canceling and quality for an ipod? money isnt an object

If money is not an object, I've got a set of Etymotic ER-4P's and they absolutely blow me away every time I listen to them.

That said, I've not had a whole lot experience with many other headphones, so I could be entirely naive in my love of them.

As for the noise cancelling of them, I use them with the foam tips and find they cut *a lot*of noise.

Aug 27, 2007 at 7:02 AM Post #499 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthMa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For <$100, I don't think there's anything that can beat the Koss PortaPro's or the Sennheiser PX100's. The PortaPro's have a wonderful warm sound whereas the PX100's are just nice clean headphones.

Really? I agree that they are pretty good for their price, but at <$100 you can get a pair of Grado SR60 here, which, in my opinion, are better than both Porta Pro and PX100.

Aug 29, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #500 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by PenDragon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? I agree that they are pretty good for their price, but at <$100 you can get a pair of Grado SR60 here, which, in my opinion, are better than both Porta Pro and PX100.

ya but grados are just uncomfy with some heads.

Aug 29, 2007 at 11:37 PM Post #501 of 1,076
Hey guys, I'm completely new to the world of higher end audio (no headphones I've ever owned have been more than $30, so I'm in for a huge shock no matter what I get
biggrin.gif
)
(ie. http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/ser...n100128n100133)

I've been searching around a lot these past few days for a new pair of earphones (IEMs specifically), and it's only resulted in getting me even more confused than when I started out.

My requirements and purpose below:

-Budget of $150 CAD (140ish USD) with as little stretching as possible
wink.gif

-Will be used in daily bus/subway commutes, not during sports or physical activity
-I Primarily listen to Trance, with some harder genres like Techno and Hardstyle on occasion

If anyone can suggest some IEMs that would blow me away, I would be extremely grateful
biggrin.gif

Sep 5, 2007 at 2:19 PM Post #503 of 1,076
Senn. 580's:

Great 'phone, smooth, detailed, and comfortable. Plus it's awesome with tube amps- for fellow X-Cans fans. They're my first set of high-end headphones and were quite a revelation for me. I learned that it didn't have to be loud to sound good and hear all the details. The 580's are soooo clean, that I find I have to speak to judge how loud they really are playing.
I've heard the 600's and liked them alot, but with only 7-8 years on my 580's I've not ready to trade up yet. My pair are in the prime of their life.
I haven't seen many comments on lifespan? Anyone owned the same pair of headphones for more than a decade? I know from my local shop than you can still order the yellow earpads for the 80's and older Senn's new.

Sep 5, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #504 of 1,076
I guess I should post to the HD580 appreciation thread, an I think I will.
I went from basically nothing except a pair of real old Azden DM-90s to now seven pairs of medium to above range cans in about a month. I also now have four portable amps. I have two pairs of 580s, one modded with the 600 screens and 650 cables. The other stock but with the Equinox cable. I have to say that of the phones I have tried I do like the 580s the best.
Phil

Quote:

Originally Posted by Night_Lamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Senn. 580's:

Great 'phone, smooth, detailed, and comfortable. Plus it's awesome with tube amps- for fellow X-Cans fans. They're my first set of high-end headphones and were quite a revelation for me. I learned that it didn't have to be loud to sound good and hear all the details. The 580's are soooo clean, that I find I have to speak to judge how loud they really are playing.
I've heard the 600's and liked them alot, but with only 7-8 years on my 580's I've not ready to trade up yet. My pair are in the prime of their life.
I haven't seen many comments on lifespan? Anyone owned the same pair of headphones for more than a decade? I know from my local shop than you can still order the yellow earpads for the 80's and older Senn's new.

Sep 19, 2007 at 4:53 AM Post #506 of 1,076
Shouldn't we start another thread for the best budget headphones (i.e. under $100 range)

Sep 21, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #508 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidw89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shouldn't we start another thread for the best budget headphones (i.e. under $100 range)

Yes, please do!
Cause many of the phones suggested here (HD580, CX300, ER-4P, SR60, Porta Pro, ...) are far from "Best" on the market when it comes to sound quality. Not even close!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back