Recommendations for Best headphones on the market (new and old)
Apr 20, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #1,053 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by alex30 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry ,
Should have mentioned that whatever you do PC wise you should be bypassing the soundcard in the PC. The Yulong is a Dac and headphone amp combo so the soundcard of the PC is bypassed when I put a usb cable from PC to Yulong.
You do not want to be sending an analogue signal from PC to amp as that would likely not be best quality.

This must be why when I had my HD650 and hooked it to an old Yamaha HT 5740 amp connected via optical to my PC (Realtek HD Audio) it sounded veiled and it felt like i had to turn the volume up too much and even then it still sounded like something is holding it back.I could not get what I was looking for, tight lows and crisp, clear mids and highs.

I have my sights on the Denon 2000 but afraid of needing a really good amp for it that actually will match well. I dont know much about pairing 'phones and amps so im afraid that by the time i actually get satisfied with a certain rig, i might have already put a big hole in my wallet.

I am keeping it simple now.Just Iphone with FiiO E5 and Yuin PK3.

The more I hang out here, the more reading I do, the more tempting it becomes.
beyersmile.png

Apr 21, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #1,055 of 1,076
Hey guys,

I've been out of the headphone loop for a while, but am looking for a pair of noise-canceling headphones for my dad. He's dead set on active noise cancellation and is adamant on having that feature. I'm looking to spend between 80-120 USD (by amazon pricing standards)

Any particular recommendations? I came across a set of senns and a pair of Audio Technica's.

Amazon.com: Sennheiser PXC 250-II Noise-canceling headphones with in-line volume control: ANTOnline

Amazon.com: Audio Technica ATH-ANC7B Active Noise-Cancelling Closed-Back Headphones: Electronics

I've had good experiences with the PX100's and was wondering if that would carry over with the 250's.

Apr 22, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #1,057 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, definitely Bose. That's the best headphone ever made.

[sneaks away, chuckling]

I've read the forums enough previously not to fall for that. That was the one brand I advised him not to buy.
wink.gif

Apr 24, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #1,059 of 1,076
Probably not the best place to post this, but here it is anyway.

Initially I did not like the AKG K 702 'phones because they were very uncomfortable. Luckily they seem to be breaking in nicely and can be worn for extending periods of time without getting too uncomfortable (the "head band" still feels like metal instead of leather after a while). Sound wise they definitely lack in the bass, but other than that no complaints. Can't really say how they sound though since I'm not 100% (I've disabled all enhancements but idk if that's all there is) sure that the audio from my computer isn't being processed before it reaches the DAC. I had to use the optical connection since the Yulong and my computer don't like to communicate via USB (it only worked a couple times), which doesn't bother me since I wanted to use optical anyway. Overall the more I use them the more I like them so no regrets.

Quick question: I noticed a lot people have stands to hang their 'phones on, I have no such stand or place to put one, is just setting them on my desk bad? I can't imagine how that could hurt anything but if it does/will I'm sure I could come up with some place to hang them.

Apr 27, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #1,060 of 1,076
I would recommend the Denon AH-D1001 headphones. How well are they rated by the aficionados in this community? I have owned 2 pairs - one I gave to my brother to replace his horrible sounding Goldring cans and a new pair I bought for myself to replace them! Interestingly, while I liked the sound of my original silver ones, the sound of my replacement ones in black sound a lot more natural and transparent and seem to have a deeper more coherent bass, although I would recommend both pairs ahead of the slightly cheaper Grado SR60s I owned previously. The Grados I found too bright and ear-piercingly sharp for my taste (admittedly I use a Nuforce Mobile headphone amp which I have read is not the best partner for them. I plan to get a decent amp as soon as funds allow - any recommendations for an amp to partner the Denons?)

Although I am pleased with the improved sound quality I now enjoy, I find the variation in quality disconcerting as it means there is no guarantee of consistent quality when one buys headphones. Has anyone else experienced this variation in quality? Is this an issue one has to be aware of when buying equipment at this relatively cheap end of the market?

May 2, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #1,062 of 1,076
Please help me find a can for MOSTLY home use, or maybe sometimes bring it to other places

I realized that if I use HP instead of LOUD speakers at home, I will disturb nobody, have good sounds at whatever volume I like without disturbing others..

So, here is what I prefer:

- Must be CLOSED, and can provide great isolation
- Must be very comfortable for long usage, like I can wear it the whole day..
- Must NOT need amplifier to work at best.. I don't wish to spend money on buying an amp..
- Better if it has long cable..
- Must have superb bass, at least better than my IE8
- I will be using it for movies, music, games..
- I will be connecting it to my PC..
- If I bring it to other places, it will be connected to my Cowon S9, or if really needed, w/ FiiO E5 too.

May 4, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #1,063 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by infidel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please help me find a can for MOSTLY home use, or maybe sometimes bring it to other places

I realized that if I use HP instead of LOUD speakers at home, I will disturb nobody, have good sounds at whatever volume I like without disturbing others..

- Must NOT need amplifier to work at best.. I don't wish to spend money on buying an amp..
- If I bring it to other places, it will be connected to my Cowon S9, or if really needed, w/ FiiO E5 too.

What's your budget?

May 4, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #1,064 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by jycegrcia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Senheiser HD280's headphones are really good and amazing. I bought it for $100.This is really a good company , I use in FL that sells them for $53 +shipping.These headphones are worth it and even it sounds better then other headphones.

oooookay...
Quote:

Originally Posted by infidel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No idea what an IE8s bass sounds like, but bass from Denons and Ultrasones would be your best bet. Aside from that, for your criteria I'd recommend either the Shure SRH840 or Beyerdynamic DT250.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back