Recommendations for an adventurous honeymoon?
Dec 7, 2007 at 11:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Omega

500+ Head-Fier
I'm marrying a wonderful gal in several months, and we're planning a honeymoon. I thought maybe Head-Fi'ers might be a good source for unusally good recommendations, and I'd love to hear (err, read) them!

We're American, so it is unfortunate that the forecast for the $USD is so weak. Cost is a constraint, time not so much. Ideal destinations would provide the chance for adventure during the day (hiking/kayaking/climbing/jumping/touring) and good food and culture at night.

Dec 8, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #2 of 19
I would vote for Thailand.

Spend most of your time at the Island Ko Samui. It's not as busy and developed as the famous Phuket, and you can spend lots of quality time.

lagoonmaekohislands7299ao2.jpg

b13c2fb5a506a2b6517b860wc6.jpg

Which is not to say Phuket is chump change. I would spend a couple days here.

surinbeachphuket765f6aze5.jpg

Then one can discover the mountain lifestyle of Northern Thailand at Chiang Mai.

chiangmai200181c516bb1.jpg

Dec 8, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #3 of 19
Another vote for thailand. My parents from there and it's a great place to visit. The US dollar still goes a long way there too.

Dec 8, 2007 at 1:00 AM Post #4 of 19
How about Maui? You can get a nice room next to the beach. Go on hikes or drives during the day.

And go to see fire dancers and buffet at dinner time.

Dec 8, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #5 of 19
Dec 8, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #6 of 19
Um. I have been to all but Croatia, but lived in NZ for six months, Thailand for two. Out west for a summer. For adventurous / mildly scary at times, Thailand will be tough to beat for an American. The dollar is also ridiculously strong against the baht. But as far as a honeymoon that's exciting, not too stressful, and fun, go to NZ. Its a big plane ticket, but not too bad once your there. Chiang Mai is pretty extraordinary, but NZs scenery simply cannot be beat, and they are the adventure sports capital of the world. Once again, like all head-fi decisions though, it all depends on your budget and what YOU think "sounds good". hehe.

Dec 8, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #7 of 19
Explorama Lodge, Iquitos Peru. A little civilization, in the middle of the Amazon Lowland Jungle. Bring your bug spray!

Dec 8, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcc84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Um. I have been to all but Croatia, but lived in NZ for six months, Thailand for two. Out west for a summer. For adventurous / mildly scary at times, Thailand will be tough to beat for an American. The dollar is also ridiculously strong against the baht. But as far as a honeymoon that's exciting, not too stressful, and fun, go to NZ. Its a big plane ticket, but not too bad once your there. Chiang Mai is pretty extraordinary, but NZs scenery simply cannot be beat, and they are the adventure sports capital of the world. Once again, like all head-fi decisions though, it all depends on your budget and what YOU think "sounds good". hehe.

My wife and I are considering a trip to Croatia in '09 and eventually NZ.

For the OP, we had an amazing time in Costa Rica. The airfare is a bit pricey but once you get there it's pretty cheap compared to many places. Plenty of adventure from zip lines, to great hikes, beaches, rainforests, volcanos, etc.

Dec 8, 2007 at 7:02 AM Post #9 of 19
I'd say Prague. I like old cities. If you want outdoorsy adventure, maybe Thailand.

Dec 8, 2007 at 7:08 AM Post #11 of 19
I voted for the national parks. The other options are far from bad, but you said that money was a bigger constraint than time. Personally, I'd go with the less expensive trip and take longer. I could easily kill 10-14 days between Crater Lake and the Grand Canyon alone. Add in a few more and a month would fly by. The total cost could be lower than a week in Europe. You won't be lacking for scenery, either.

Anyhow, congrats, and I think you'll have a good time at any of these.

Dec 8, 2007 at 7:33 AM Post #12 of 19
None of the locations really qualify as adventurous. I would mention Samarkand in Uzbekistan. The original setting for the Thousand and One Nights, which has long been on my personal list of places I'd like to visit before I die.

Of course it doesn't help Americans are no longer welcome since there since the US government criticized the political opponents' being boiled alive or the machine gun mowing down of peaceful demonstrators in Andijan.

Dec 8, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #14 of 19
Iquitos, Peru. It's located in the Amazon is cheap and very adventurous. I spent six months there and enjoyed every minute.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back