1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Recommendations for Amp/DAC with *usable* volume control for sensitive IEMs

Discussion in 'Computer Audio' started by jffrynpmr, Jan 3, 2014.
  1. jffrynpmr
    Hey everyone. I do most of my listening on a laptop with some JH-16 IEMs and an RSA Predator. The thing that bugs me is that these are so sensitive that only about 10% of the volume control is even usable (yes on the low gain setting). It's basically 0-5% inaudible to some channel imbalance, 6-10% semi-sweet spot, 11%+ way too loud.

Honestly, at this point I'd really just like to have a wider range of usable volumes. And sound quality, while obviously desirable, could come second. Anyone have some suggestions for dac/amps to try?

2. thegunner100
    Maybe you can ask RSA to lower the gain for you? If that's not an option, I recommend trying the leckerton uha-6s mkii w/ ada4627-1b with -12dB gain. Or you could get the new uha760 w/ three gain settings and digital volume control. The uha-6s mkii works great with the UERMs.

3. TwelveTrains
    Always have loved my Schiit Asgard 2 in low gain mode. Even with my most sensitive headphones. Nice potentiometer, with a nice gradual volume increase.

4. ericr
    +1

Bought an Asgard 2 a few days ago from another HF member and it is very nice with my IEMs.