Recommendations for alternative to K701?
Nov 7, 2008 at 3:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

tintin47

Headphoneus Supremus
I got AKG K701s about two weeks ago, and I actually like them a lot. However, I would enjoy a phone with a little more impact in the bass range. I love the 701's definition of bass, but it tends to get drowned out by the highs in guitar-heavy rock songs.

I know that the 701 isn't a rock phone, and I have no problem with that. Guitar-driven rock is only about 20% of what I listen to, but I was wondering whether there are any phones which retain the K701s mid and high range and clarity, but with more bass (not like 650 bass, just slightly more than k701)? I am amping them with a little dot mk IV now, and I know that is not the combination to get the best out of these phones, but from what I've read, better-suited amps don't improve the bass particularly. Even so, I'm planning on upgrading in the next year and I would just buy an amp specifically suited to whatever phones.

If there is no alternative to the 701s, is there a relatively inexpensive ($100-$200) set of closed phones that I could use primarily for rock?

Nov 7, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #2 of 23
I have used "Koss Pro3aat" in the past and I think they sounded good for Rock. They are a little bit like Grado's when it comes to treble, but they do have more bass. What's even better is that you can nab them on eBay for $50 new. The mids sound decent as well.

Nov 7, 2008 at 6:03 AM Post #4 of 23
Since your amp is suited for high impedance headphones id say go for a Senn 650 or a Beyer DT990 250 Ohm. The Senn will sound different but very nice and the Beyer will resemble the highs on the AKG more so than the Senn but will have more bass than the AKG.

Nov 7, 2008 at 6:23 AM Post #6 of 23
The DT880 has been compared often to the K701, both has very good clarity and soundstage. The DT880 certainly has more bass but it also has more highs, and its mid is a bit recessed. You can consider it as an alternative to the K701.

Nov 7, 2008 at 12:20 PM Post #7 of 23
AD2000 might give you the bass you require whilst still retaining the soundstage, sweet mids and crisp highs.
I only have AD900, but they certainly fit that description and AD2000 should be comparable to the AKGs. Have a read up on them.

Closed cheaper fon for rock as an alternative, hard pressed to go past one of the Ultasone fons:pro 550, 650 or HFI 580, 680 or DJ Pro. My Proline 550s do an admirable job of rock, and they certainly have bass impact. None of the fons mentioned in this post require an external amp, but they all will improve with one and your Little Dot IV should work well.

Nov 7, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DT880 has been compared often to the K701, both has very good clarity and soundstage. The DT880 certainly has more bass but it also has more highs, and its mid is a bit recessed. You can consider it as an alternative to the K701.

Thanks for all of the options. As far as the 880, Ill have to find somewhere to audition it. I shied away from the 880s in the first place because people said that they were just about the brightest phones in existence. I htink that the 701s are about my limit for enjoying a bright phone. I do acknowlege that they would be better suited to my amp now, but I am planning on upgrading soon anyway, so if I decide to keep the 701s, would the bass bloom a bit on a better suited amp?

Nov 7, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #12 of 23
thanks for the info. I am also looking for the alternative for my new K701. Want to try phones having sweet warm mids.

Nov 7, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #13 of 23
tintin,

You can get better bass with a better amp. I'd suggest a tube amp. Your gain tube can control the characteristics to my satisfaction anyway. It won't bring out artificial bass but will provide what the source puts out. If you want bass prominent sound, go to something else.

Guitar Center may have the 880s. They have them at the Cincy store.

Nov 7, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by frank99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for the info. I am also looking for the alternative for my new K701. Want to try phones having sweet warm mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back