Recommendations for a versatile headphone for classical music
Nov 17, 2014 at 3:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ArthurShou

New Head-Fier
Hello all!

Recently, I've been interested in buying my first pair of great headphones. I've been doing a lot of reading on various forums, but there are so many conflicting recommendations out there that aren't specific to my particular needs. It's a little overwhelming. After many hours, I decided to just create my own thread. I would really appreciate any advice.

What I have been looking for is a pair of headphones that are great for listening to classical music, mostly via high quality downloads on Spotify. My first question is whether headphones like the Sennheiser HD598, or AKG Q701 would be wasted on this source. I don't think I have the time in the near future to build a high quality library.

My second question has to do with versatility. Ideally, I'd like to listen on both my laptop and Galaxy S4. I have been hoping for a pair of over ear, open-backed (though close-backed would be fine) phones with the versatility to be used on both, preferably without having to juggle around an amp (though that is compromisable). So, is there a headphone that is 1) good for classical (neutral-warm) 2) appropriate to HQ Spotify downloads 3) versatile enough to be used on the go and finally, the reason why we're all here, 4) give a stunning audio experience. Essentially, is there something like the Sennheiser MOMENTUM that is better suited to classical?

I don't believe there is an elegant solution to all of the above. If someone does come up with an answer, I'd be amazed (and very grateful). Thanks in advance!

Arthur

Nov 17, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #2 of 5
The newer Grado series may be nearer neutral-warm than the old, but you might want them warmer!

Maybe try the Beyerdynamic DT990 (32ohm) or the SoundMAGIC HP200 - not primarily for classical but these will do it justice.

The DT880 is good for classical but might just be a tad bright.

The German Maestro 435S is another I'll suggest (35 ohms) - nice and airy without being too bright.

Nov 17, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #3 of 5
  Hello all!

Recently, I've been interested in buying my first pair of great headphones. I've been doing a lot of reading on various forums, but there are so many conflicting recommendations out there that aren't specific to my particular needs. It's a little overwhelming. After many hours, I decided to just create my own thread. I would really appreciate any advice.

What I have been looking for is a pair of headphones that are great for listening to classical music, mostly via high quality downloads on Spotify. My first question is whether headphones like the Sennheiser HD598, or AKG Q701 would be wasted on this source. I don't think I have the time in the near future to build a high quality library.

My second question has to do with versatility. Ideally, I'd like to listen on both my laptop and Galaxy S4. I have been hoping for a pair of over ear, open-backed (though close-backed would be fine) phones with the versatility to be used on both, preferably without having to juggle around an amp (though that is compromisable). So, is there a headphone that is 1) good for classical (neutral-warm) 2) appropriate to HQ Spotify downloads 3) versatile enough to be used on the go and finally, the reason why we're all here, 4) give a stunning audio experience. Essentially, is there something like the Sennheiser MOMENTUM that is better suited to classical?

I don't believe there is an elegant solution to all of the above. If someone does come up with an answer, I'd be amazed (and very grateful). Thanks in advance!

Arthur

Sennheiser HD600. Fits your sonic requirements perfectly. I listen to the non-HQ versions of Spotify and Google Play with mine and it generally sounds very good.

Also they are not as hard to drive as you might expect - they sound great at moderate volume straight out of my iPhone or iPad.  They can, and do, improve with amping, but they will absolutely 'work' direct from something like a phone (and work pretty well - I'd still rather listen to an unamped HD600 than a H598.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back