Recommendations for a runner?
Jun 22, 2010 at 2:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

jjpjimmy

New Head-Fier
I used to run with a EP-630 but it's seal was so damn good (i rigged up a dual flange thing) that I couldn't hear traffic and other various noises I should hear. And the cable kept getting shorter as I grew and my pants went lower...Also, i lost them at school :frowning2:
From then I moved to a PX100, I love it's cable length, but It keeps falling off and having it worn R-L rather than L-R was more comfortable... but that's not ok with me.
so, I got some Altec lansing thing that looked like Ultimate ears and it busted in a few weeks, didn't even have a good seal...lucky it was only 30 bucks.

Since School's out for a while I was going to go out and run but.....I got nothing I can run with, and I personally Hate car noises.

So, Could you guys recommend me a ~40USD earBUD WITH cable length of ~4ft.

I was looking at a Sennheiser MX580 and a pk3 but I thought i should consult to the masters.

I'll be running the earBuds on a Cowon S9. I Listen to lots of everything Classical, rock, Metal, techno.

Jun 22, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #3 of 41
I personally have never had any luck with either for running.  They have always got too sweaty and fallen out or come loose.

I had been using the Senn PX100 for a very, very long time.  I just recently switched over to the Sony MDR-Q68LW clip on headphones. 

These clip ons have been really great.  they do no have the bass impact I would prefer, but they are really nicely detailed.  And better yet, the clips have great springs in them, so they stay very secure.  I can't think of a time when I have felt them flop around on my head.  I typically run 3 or 4 days a week, so they do get a full workload.  And for 29 bucks, they are really a great buy.

You might also look into the Senn MX 680.  I can't use them because I find the wings to be uncomfortable, but I think they are at least worth a look. 

Jun 22, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #4 of 41
I bought the SoundMagic pl50 after several Shures crapped out with their crappy cables. The cables are excellent, the isolation with olives is quite reasonable in my ears, and _without the guides_ microphonics are low. FYI, I have found that ear guides - for me - really increase the microphonics. I bought mine from focal price. The beauty is these are so cheap, I won't mind when they die on me. I run _a lot_ > 30-45km a week (just did a half-mara!) and have had no trouble thus far.

Jun 22, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #5 of 41
Check out this new sony player. It is an all in one solution of headphones and player in one neat, wireless package.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archives/2010/06/sony-walkman-w250-review.php

Jun 22, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #6 of 41
If you aren't dead set on ear buds, I have found that Koss KSC-75s make for a very good running solution.  They are fairly cheap but they have very good sound.  The clips keep them in place for my entire run with no fiddling at all, yet they are open enough to allow me to hear things like cars and/or people around me.  I have been using mine for a couple of years now and they are still going strong.

Jun 22, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #7 of 41
Do they still sell the PMX-100? That's a behind the neck PX-100 with earclips, should be better for running. 

Jun 22, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #8 of 41
I like the PMX 100 but it is an old product and you may not be able to find it at most stores.

Personally, I like neckband headphones for sports as they offer a very good fit.

Been using the PMX 80 Sport II for running but have recently upgraded to the PMX 680 Sports. 

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Jun 23, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #9 of 41
Me and my brother go running with our UE's and they stay in perfectly. I have the SF5Pro, I got him the SF3. He's the actual runner, I just tag along. He thinks they are great for running as well, never falling off. If u want to hear ur surroundings, just lower the volume, given, they will still be muffled but good enough.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/349/7085&ci=0
Its 68% off some UE products

Jun 23, 2010 at 5:47 AM Post #10 of 41
heh, so practically everyone here runs with ear muff's?   
duggehsmile.png

I was looking forward for some earbuds because they're small and well I thought it would be better for running....

Do those clips really work well, how about some parkour (jumping jacks) ?  I've never tried them so please understand my concerns.

Jun 23, 2010 at 6:19 AM Post #11 of 41
I plan to run with the OMX980 (earbuds with clips), I'm sure they will be fine, but well, they're much more than $40. Actually, most IEMs are fine for treadmill, SE530 and triple.fi, SE530 probably more convenient since they don't stick out. IEMs are fine because they stick to the ear canal. I don't know about stuff more intense than running. 

Jun 23, 2010 at 6:45 AM Post #12 of 41
Yeah, it probably does make one look a little strange running with the clip style phones, but they do work well.  I haven't actually tried jumping jacks with the KSC-75's, but I do stretch with them on and they stay in place just fine.  I started with ear buds, but I could never get them to stay in place very well.  Bump the cord a little bit and they are no longer in place.  Jog for a few minutes or do some stretching and they are no longer in place.  I do plan on getting a set of the Sennheiser sports phones at some point because they are washable, but for now the clip style phones get the job done very well.

Quote:
heh, so practically everyone here runs with ear muff's?   
duggehsmile.png

I was looking forward for some earbuds because they're small and well I thought it would be better for running....

Do those clips really work well, how about some parkour (jumping jacks) ?  I've never tried them so please understand my concerns.

Jun 23, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #15 of 41
Ok, so i'm going to be getting a KSC75, but I hear it's got very bad build quality....
I've seen my friend's break on the spot (but he also broke my cowon t2) and Lots of comments, on newegg, say it break's easily.

There's got to be something They and I'm missing out on that makes this so great....It's not just the Sq is it?

and...sorry if this may be a bother, but is there an ksc75 index of mods/hacks?  I remember seeing lots of mods on these forums, or maybe some other...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back