Recommendations for a Region-Free DVD player
Mar 19, 2006 at 6:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jpelg

Needs a regular fix of 'Fi
'06 Nat Meet Co-Coordinator
I'm looking for a region-free DVD player for primarily home use. I am in the U.S looking to play North American, European, & Asian DVD's on my NTSC television.

Ideally it would be something easily procurred thru standard sources (BB, CC Amazon, etc.), not require a hack to get region-free play.

Full component-size players, as well as portables that can serve double-duty at home will be considered.

Also, might this be an opportunity to look at building an HTPC instead?

All input is greatly appreciated. TIA. Discuss...

Mar 19, 2006 at 7:03 PM Post #2 of 10
I believe you'd need something to do PAL->NTSC conversion as well. I believe the Philips DVP-642 fits the bill, although the picture quality of this unit is nothing to get excited about.

Mar 19, 2006 at 8:09 PM Post #3 of 10
Thanks, fewtch. I'm a bit confused with that model. The specs say it does the PAL->NTSC conversion, but doesn't come region-free without doing a hack first. What's the point of one without the other?
confused.gif

Mar 19, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
Thanks, fewtch. I'm a bit confused with that model. The specs say it does the PAL->NTSC conversion, but doesn't come region-free without doing a hack first. What's the point of one without the other?
confused.gif

Good question... not sure about that one. I think the "hack" is just a few keypad punches on the remote though... "789-OK-0" or something like that.

Mar 20, 2006 at 6:34 PM Post #5 of 10
We have a Memorex unit. Model MVD2022A, its about $30 at Rite-Aid pharmancy. Yes that hi-end outlet. It can be made region free with a keystroke hack, and does PAL->NTSC.
i have found a lot of players will do the PAL->NTSC thing out of the box.
If you buy it i can walk you through the hack.

Mar 20, 2006 at 11:39 PM Post #7 of 10
I'd Second the 642 as a cheapy DVD player.

Can be hacked to be region free. Does conversion from PAL source to NTSC playback. Plays Divx/Xvid files.

A great source of information is

http://www.videohelp.com

you might be interested in the http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks section.

Slightly OT, in the UK its difficult to buy a DVD player that isnt region free, or advertised as such (UK is region 2)

In the US - go into a store and ask for a region-free DVD player, and they'll look at you funny (USA is region 1)

As a consumer, remind me again what the advantage/point of region coding is?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 21, 2006 at 5:28 AM Post #8 of 10
Check out the Samsung DVD-HD950. They are region-free and there's a whole mess of them on eBay.

I don't have one, but am very much on the fence. I would like a SACD/DVD-A player, and it does that, too. And a whole bunch of other stuff. Maybe I should just order one.

Anyhow, you should take a look.

Mar 21, 2006 at 11:45 AM Post #10 of 10
I picked up the Philips DVP-642 the other day. Best Buy has it on clearance for $54, and the store I went to had only one left with a slightly damaged box (still factory sealed, but dented in one corner). They gave me an additional $5 off, and noted on the purchase receipt the fact that the box was damaged upon purchase, in case I needed to return it. The player itself was completely untouched inside, thanks to plenty of extraneous packaging. So I got a bargain.

It plays a PAL dvd without any hack, right out of the box. But the dvd label says "multizona", so I don't know if that matters. I guess there are "multi-zone" PAL dvd's, and "single-zone" PAL dvd's that may require the region-0 change? In any event, the PAL->NTSC feature works as advertised. Picture quality is not great, but the dvd is an older transfer from the 70's, and I'm only using the RCA video-out connection atm, so I can't be too critical.

The bottom line is that for ~fifty bucks I got what I needed. Thanks fewtch, for pointing me in the right direction - much appreciated. Now if my wallet starts hemmoraging from buying foreign dvds, it's your fault
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back