Recommendations for a portable setup for the gym and general exercise.
Apr 28, 2015 at 6:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Dannek

New Head-Fier
Does anyone have any advice when it comes to a good portable setup to bring to the gym? 

The things I'm considering when I think about it.

1- Smartphone vs DAP
2- Portable AMP/DAC, is one necessary?
3- IEM's vs lightweight portable headphones?

Any insight into these questions and/or suggestions for setups would be greatly appreciated.
I'd be using weight machines and cardio equiptment at the gym, and also doing some walking outdoors on trails.

I won't list a price point, as in the case of smartphones, the price varies widely depending on if it's bought off contract or on contract.  I'm looking at mainstream prices for most things though, for example, no $1000.+ portable tube amps.  I'd be starting from scratch, as I haven't bought anything yet for this.

Apr 28, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #2 of 9
A Sansa Clip+ or Clip Zip is a great little inexpensive mp3 player that works well with most IEMs--and it has a clip. Takes micro sd cards to expand the storage. So even though I have a better DAP, this is my goto for the gym :)

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #3 of 9
A Sansa Clip+ or Clip Zip is a great little inexpensive mp3 player that works well with most IEMs--and it has a clip. Takes micro sd cards to expand the storage. So even though I have a better DAP, this is my goto for the gym
smily_headphones1.gif

+1  My Sansa clip+ broke a few months back and I miss it even though I have a better set up now. It's great for running, I just clipped it to my shorts, shuffled it and locked it. Sound is way better than it should be for the price especially when Rockbox'ed IMHO. Now the weather is getting warmer here, I'll probably get another one. I haven't come across a better DAP for sports activities.

that's the Zip in the picture so you can gauge it's size, the Clip+ is similarly sized

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #5 of 9
Thanks for the replies, they are much appreciated.

I'll take a look at the Sansa Clip series.

Do either of you have any recommendations for IEM's?
I would like to get a good set that don't need a portable amp to perform well.
I'd spend up to around $200. for IEM's for this purpose.

Thanks again.

If anyone else cares to chime in, please do.
I value all opinions.

Peace.

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #6 of 9
Most IEMs will perform well without any kind of amp.

This list of IEM reviews is a really good resource for learning about many IEMs: http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-336-iems-compared-gorilla-ears-gx-4b-added-04-17-15-p-1053

Apr 29, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #8 of 9
Most IEMs will perform well without any kind of amp.

This list of IEM reviews is a really good resource for learning about many IEMs: http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-336-iems-compared-gorilla-ears-gx-4b-added-04-17-15-p-1053

Thanks again for your input Cel.

I looked at your link and was overwhelmed by the vast choice in IEM's at each price point.  I was concerned that I might make this more of a project than I need to, if I started really digging into reviews and analyzing small differences between lots of different IEM's.

So I decided to keep it simple and here is where I stand right now..

1- Since this is for gym and exercise use only, I think that a small player like a Sansa clip zip or clip + is better than a smartphone or larger DAP due to size and weight considerations.  I think that a smartphone or a nice DAP, like a Fiio X3 or X5 for example, would be better suited to a nicer portable setup that I would take to headphone meets and on vacations.

2- Along the lines of number one, I think that since I wouldn't need an amp for the IEM's that I'm looking at (going by Cel's info provided) that an amp is also best left for a more expensive portable setup for meets and vacations.

3- I think that IEM's are definately the way to go for my gym/exercise use.  As I looked over the huge list of IEM's that Cel linked to, I realized that there are probably IEM's designed for exercise usage.  A search on Amazon led me to two styles that seem perfect for this application. One style loops around the upper ear to keep the IEM's more secure while exercising, and the other style is two IEM's connected by an arm that sits on your neck.  Either seems to be better for active exercising imo than normal IEM's that might be more susceptible to falling out during exercise.  Again just my opinion.  

Tonight I'll be looking at the differences between the Sansa clip zip and the clip +.  I'm also looking at several different IEM's that are designed for exercise purposes.
I'll report back in this thread with my findings tomorrow.

Once again, if anyone else has any insight or recommendations to offer I would greatly appreciate it.
Peace.

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #9 of 9
If you find an IEM you like that is over ear, but doesn't come with over ear cable guide to help hold it in place, you can buy them:

http://www.meelec.com/MEElectronics_Over_the_Ear_Cable_Guides_p/ep-cableguide-bk.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back