Recommendations for a newb
Feb 27, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #16 of 57
I checked eBay, and the HFI-580s are selling for $189.99 - $199.99, within your budget. The 680s and 780s would need stretching this value a bit. You might find them cheaper in B&M stores or at your local Guitar Center, but I don't know. Based on impressions from other owners (great bass and overall sound quality), I recommend the 580s.

Listen to them if you can. Let your ears be the judge.
wink.gif

Feb 28, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #18 of 57
There's also the HFI-550 "Beatmaster" ($119 + S&H off eBay). Reviews out there seem favorable. I'm thinking about getting myself a pair for "semi-portable" use, since the cups on my HFI-780s are too flashy for outdoor use here in Brazil. The HFI-550 cups are all black, instead of the silver cups on the HFI-780.

Feb 28, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #20 of 57
Hmm... I guess not. I prefer having different cans for home listening and portable use, but thanks for the tip.
wink.gif

Let us know what you decide after auditioning the cans. Good luck!

Feb 28, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #21 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since everyone else is ignoring the isolating part of the post, I'll throw in a rec for the AD700.

only took about 10 posts to completely blow off everything the OP asked for, and revert to the typical head-fi "GET A GRADO/ALLESANDRO iTS THE ONLY OPTION IGNORE ALL ELSE CAN ONLY HAVE THIS OPTION OR SPEND MORE THIS IS THE ONLY OPTION KTHX KTHX KTHX BAI!"

beerchug.gif
wink.gif

Feb 28, 2009 at 7:11 AM Post #22 of 57
Denon AH D1001

JVC HA-RX 700

Audio Technica A700

Mar 1, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #23 of 57
Well I tried out the HD 280s and the 770/80s at GC,

I gotta say, there wasn't much difference at all between those and my portapros. the 280s blocked out more of the background noise than the 770s, but they both lacked bass. If I cranked the bass effects on my DMP they would bottom out about the same as my portapros. The 770s had a tid more bass than the 280s, but other than that they sounded about the same.

I'm guessing there must have been either a problem with my iaudio 7, or with my ears because of the results I had, but that's what I heard.

I'll probably end up buying a set of cans like those, but because of this it'll probably happen further out. Gotta buy sum parts for my computer and car first.

Mar 1, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #24 of 57
I haven't listened to the HD280s or the Beyer DT770/80, but from what I've read, they should have more punch to the bass than your experience shows... very odd.

Haven't they had any Ultrasone for you to try at GC?

Mar 1, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #25 of 57
None that I saw. The 770s were the only beyedynamics I saw, mainly senns with a few ATHes in there. They didn't have the A700 though.

Maybe I should just mod these portapros and make them closed somehow?
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #26 of 57
Heh, that would be an interesting exercise, but I'm afraid making the PPs closed would change the sound signature too much. But if the mod is reversible, it wouldn't hurt to try.

Mar 2, 2009 at 9:17 AM Post #28 of 57
Well after some thinking and some not feeling like finding a dead set of sealed headphones, and a lot of research on top of that, I've come to a slightly different set of objectives.

Either the Q40, or ATH-ES7.

The Q40 can be had for just under 95$, and the ES7 for about 115, both on ebay. From what I've seen they both seem to have similar sounds, with the ES7 seeming to change a lot after burn in. Of course, the ES7 is one shiny little SOC (son of a can, obviously) while the Q40 is more of a regular headphone as far as looks go. They both look fine in my book, but that dt 150 whatever it was looks OK to me as well....

Either way, I probably won't be buying either for a few weeks. The MB in my computer is really ticking me off and will probably be replaced before I get new cans, and its probably going to be somewhere between 100$ and 150$, that all being money I don't have at the moment.
frown.gif

So just start a all out war between those two. If you want to recommend a new can at this point, it has to be sub-120$, sealed, no amp needed and preferably more bass biased. (Although I think at this point that any lack/overpower in the mids or highs can be EQ'ed out.)

EDIT: No posts in over a day and someone still posts while I'm making a nice long post. :\

Like I said, they were hooked straight up to my 7. The EQ was level and all the effects were turned off. (Same setup I use on my PP)

I'm starting to think that there are a few different drivers in the PP's, because some people say they don't have much bass, but a few say they do have good amounts of bass. And from what I've heard, I'd have to go for the latter.

Mar 2, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #29 of 57
The Q40s are great, although the bass is too much sometimes. In your price range you can also try the Ultrasone HFI-450s; Sealed, should need no amp and have good quality and quantity to the bass. Usually sells for $99 at eBay, and there's a used pair for $63. The owner says it's in brand new condition. If you live in the US may be worth taking a look.

Mar 4, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #30 of 57
Lol just found out the the ES7's are a bit smaller than I though they were.

So its the Q40 and the HFI-450 then. I'll probably end up just getting whichever can be found cheaper on ebay as soon as the cash for it comes in. At this rate that'll probably be a few weeks, maybe even a month. I'll post lots of details and what not when I get them though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back