Recommendations for a new DVD/CD Burner....
Mar 19, 2006 at 5:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

LFF

Co-Organizer for Can Jam '09
Member of the Trade: Paradox
Hey guys and gals,

I think my burner is crapping out on me as it is giving me a lot of coasters and "laser calibration" errors.

Can anyone recommend a good burner? How about the ones with lightscribe? Can someone post a pic of what lightscribe looks like?

Thanks in advance.

Mar 19, 2006 at 6:01 AM Post #2 of 15
NEC 3550A

Mar 19, 2006 at 10:53 AM Post #5 of 15
My Lite-On (SOHW-1693S) has been very reliable, not a single coaster ever. The one I had before this was an Asus, which crapped out after about 100 discs.

Mar 20, 2006 at 12:27 AM Post #7 of 15
Check out cdfreaks.com. They are kinda like headfi but for cdburner instead of headphones. I would recommend getting NEC ND-4551A or 3550A/3551A/4550A and firmware flash them to 4551A. The reason it is possible is because NEC got lazy and all 4 of these models have identical hardware. It doesnt have lightscribe but have labelflash. Using labelflash, you dont need to buy special DVD and can burn image on the DATA side. The image is also made faster.

Here is the link to flash your dvd drive. Follow the instruction carefully! It worked for me and everyone else but you must know what you are doing. You risked loosing your drive.

Mar 20, 2006 at 12:35 AM Post #8 of 15
For what it's worth, my Memorex DVD drive has been extremely reliable over the last 2+ years. We picked up a lightscribe drive at work a couple months ago. The artwork looks great, but be aware that it takes quite a long time to burn the image onto the disk. I think the drive wrote data at 4x or 8x (no sure, but slower than I imagined). The image took longer than the data. I think it was about 30 minutes. Anyone else have a lightscribe to comment on? I'd like one myself, but not if it ties up my PC for 30 minutes per disc.

Mar 20, 2006 at 4:38 AM Post #11 of 15
Get a Plextor (the best money can buy) I have tried a lot of them with similar results, got a Plextor and had absolutelly no problems at all burning DVDs till now, same results have been posted in some forums along wiht some Pioneer models....Right now tigerdirect has some on sale, both Pioneer and Plextor, please do yourelf a favor and give them a seriopus consideration....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back