Recommendations for a Metalhead
Jan 22, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #31 of 50
I've seriously been looking for music like Wardruna my whole life. Thank you very, very much. You have made my day. If there's any similar music to this that you know of, please share. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 22, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #32 of 50

Quote:
Quote:
Have you checked out the latest from Burzum?
Belus it's called. Not super melodic, more black metal, but awesome none the less.

More viking stuff I can think of is Wardruna (acoustic melodic pagan metal).

Holy crap. Wardruna is incredible. Keep this thread going. I also enjoyed Barzum, but I've never actually heard an album of his.

Bob I think you might dig this. Check out the Eifur album by Fejd. Its definitely the best true folk metal album I have heard in a quite some time.

Agreed dude, Wardruna is really incredible. Listening right now 
biggrin.gif

Jan 22, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #33 of 50
[size=medium]

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSaysHi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've seriously been looking for music like Wardruna my whole life. Thank you very, very much. You have made my day. If there's any similar music to this that you know of, please share. 
biggrin.gif

[/size]

My pleasure.

I'm afraid I don't know of anything that resembles it a whole lot, but if you like this you might like some neo-folk, like Sonnenheim by Of The Wand And The Moon.
I'll let you know if i find something in the same vein as Wardruna.

Jan 22, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #34 of 50

Quote:
[size=medium]

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSaysHi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

[/size]

My pleasure.

I'm afraid I don't know of anything that resembles it a whole lot, but if you like this you might like some neo-folk, like Sonnenheim by Of The Wand And The Moon.
I'll let you know if i find something in the same vein as Wardruna.

Cool. I'll be looking for similar acts as well. 

Jan 24, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #35 of 50
Thought I would let everyone know that I just heard some really tasty stuff. Istapp's Blekinge is a wicked melodic black metal album. Its very well done and I hope you guys will check it out. If you aren't a fan of black metal, this is more melodic and borderline happier sounding than most. Check it out. 

Jan 26, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #36 of 50

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Isis -  The Red Sea

Their heaviest album, and maybe their best. One of my favorite metal albums. If you like it, check out "Celestial" too. 

I have heard Isis' material before and was pretty impressed. My friend has some stuff of theirs, so I'll ask to borrow it. Thanks for the reminder/suggestion.

Everything by Isis and Neurosis is awesome. Two of my favorite bands. Panopticon and Oceanic are their best works, but aren't as heavy as their first several (if that's what you're into).

I'll just post the usual recommendations. These will be all kinds of Progressive Metal, but I'll try and keep it within what you asked for in the OP. Bolded = more awesome.

Alcest
Ameosuers (same guy from Alcest) 
Baroness
Burst (Lazarus Bird)
Gojira
Katatonia
Mastodon
Primordial (To the nameless Dead)
Solstafir
Strapping Young Lad (City)
Wolves in the Throne Room

You've probably already heard a lot of what I just posted, but hopefully you find something new. I tend to stay in the Progressive side of metal, and away from the "WE PLAY THE HEAVIEST crap EVAR" bands.

You just summed up exactly why I love the softer side of metal with that list of bands. GG.

Though I'm quite guilty of loving the heavier side, especially when done right. See: Destroyer 666, Skeletonwitch, Morbid Saint, early Carcass, etc etc and whatnot

Jan 26, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #37 of 50

Quote:
Thought I would let everyone know that I just heard some really tasty stuff. Istapp's Blekinge is a wicked melodic black metal album. Its very well done and I hope you guys will check it out. If you aren't a fan of black metal, this is more melodic and borderline happier sounding than most. Check it out. 

Damn fine BM. I still wouldn't call it happy, but it isn't mind-numbingly depressing, so I get where you're coming from.

Quote:
You just summed up exactly why I love the softer side of metal with that list of bands. GG.

Though I'm quite guilty of loving the heavier side, especially when done right. See: Destroyer 666, Skeletonwitch, Morbid Saint, early Carcass, etc etc and whatnot

I do enjoy a lot of "soft" metal. 
evil_smiley.gif
 I used to enjoy a lot of Death Metal, but I don't enjoy it at all anymore. If I ever want to punch a hole in the wall, I'll just listen to Converge.

Jan 26, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #38 of 50
Check out Destroyer 666's 'Phoenix Rising.' That's what metal is all about. I'd go into my usual verbose explanation, but just give it a listen. I suppose I'll mention 'I Am the Wargod' as a particular standout track

Feb 2, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #45 of 50
I like where this thread is headed now 
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back