Recommendations: Dynamic IEM w/ a little more mids and brighter treble than the IE8 but keeping the fun and soundstage? Moving on from the UM3X!
Aug 4, 2010 at 4:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

imackler

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello all!
I'm looking to sell my UM3X for something a little more fun. I love the neutrality for so many genres, but I find I listen to music a little less with them than something with more surprise, sound stage and fun. It turns out I do like a little V in my frequency, but more like a smirk than a full out smile.
I've had the IE8 in the past and am considering them again. I found the mids a little recessed on the IE8 and could have enjoyed a little more treble presence (or maybe clarity or extension; not sure how to describe it). Also the price is quite high. I've read some of the other dynamic threads to get some advice but wanted to describe my own scenario.
I listen to lots of jazz and classical, but also some new age, rap and a good dose of rock, but bass is not my favorite. I find that I love sound stage.
Any recommendations of the dynamically driven iem for me?
Thanks!

Aug 4, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #4 of 14
Mark2410
I've always appreciated your advice a ton! Do you have the icon mobile? At first I was thinking no way, but the price is really not bad. How's the synergy?

Aug 4, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #6 of 14
Radius DDM has bigger soundstage and more clarity than IE8 with under $180 price tag.

Aug 4, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #8 of 14
Aug 4, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #10 of 14
Klipsch Custom 3 if sound stage is the big factor.  The drivers used in them are pretty good, a thicker note, good texture, good energy in the notes.  The sound stage is some of the better of the IEMs I've used, excellent size, linearity, good sense of proximity and distance.

Aug 4, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #11 of 14
If you're looking specifically for a V shaped sound, of the high end IEMs that's the westone 3 and fx700. By all accounts the fx700 is the superior earphone, but it doesn't isolate at all, unlike the W3.

Aug 5, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #12 of 14
I love sound stage and ambiance, too.  The Westone 3 gives a bit more mid and high end than the IE8 while retaining much of the sound stage, though there are quite a few similarities in the sound signature between these two.  The W3 has better isolation and just puts more zest in the music than the IE8 to my ears.  If you're really going for a dynamic driver IEM, all I can say is that I've come to prefer the MTPG/MTPCs to the IE8 due to their better treble balance.  Many would vehemently oppose this preference.  I found a few of the airport electronic shops have the MTPGs and will let you try them out.  Some might let you compare side by side with the IE8.

Aug 5, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #13 of 14
The Westone options are great if you want to be right up on stage with the performers.  I owned the UM3X and the presentation pretty much puts the singer right in front of your nose.  Some people find this a little bit claustrophobic though.  The IE8 is the opposite.  It puts you way out in the audience, sort of like watching a play from the balcony.  Far away is far away but close is also far away.  A good sound stage should be in between where you get a big, linear space that can both be close and far away and just sound appropriately distanced.  The Custom 3 is one of the better examples out there in terms of a truly good sound stage.  Despite its cheap cost at just $99 (available on eBay), the drivers used in the unit are well chosen and sound very good.  You like dynamics, and one trait that most people dislike about BA earphones is the very short, clean note that is too analytical, lacking body and texturing to the music.  The Custom 3 is one that actually offers a thicker, textured note that is rare to the BA community of earphones.  The frequency response is well extended and even.  Klipsch dropped the ball on the cord, but for as bad as it is, it is super light and minimally caries microphonics.  It's haha funny, but it actually does key things you want the cord to do, i.e. disappear.  Grab some Shure Olive tips and be happy.  It's $99.  No matter what you think of it after trying it, it's a cheap investment versus other options you'll look at.

Aug 5, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #14 of 14

Quote:
"Across the bridge", give or take 400 miles...

Still worth it, of course!

400 miles?   That is a little farther  what I imagined. I must have gotten old....forget stuff
triportsad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back