Recommendations (again), for ER-6i, please take a look
May 25, 2005 at 2:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Ttvetjanu

1000+ Head-Fier
I recently got myself an iPod shuffle (1gb) and a pair of Etymotic ER-6i's. I will mainly be listning on-the-go in busses (3 hours daily). I feel that my music taste is a bit confused, and perhaps not quite mature yet, which is why I am writing.

As my sources I will be using a old portable CD player (D-EJ825 [not sure if it is able to play newer CD's]), a Creative Zen Extra (30gb), and the suffle.

At the moment my iPod consists of:
Nin - All the love in the world
System of the down, some songs.
Bjork, Yoga and Hunter (added a few others but cannot remember their names)
Eminem, some older songs
Mr Oizo, Flatbeat
Slipknot - Duality
Nirvana - rape me
Pink Floyd - Mother
Prodigy - Firestarter, Spitfire and Smack my Bitch up.

So, that is about a summary of my music taste. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for my setup, particularily taking advantage of the Ety's detail and clarity.

I wouldn't mind some beautiful vocals or even some more 'interesting' classical music.

I have bought Nin - The Fragile but it hasn't quite hit the spot yet, only listened to it a couple of times.

One of my restrictions is the fact that I live in Thailand (moving to Finland in a month), and therefore I dont have access to some of the harder available songs. I don't trust eBay (dont ask).

However, I have access an about 2000 CD collection, like Floyd, Beatles, and some other similar songs (+many others).

I've listened to Massive Attack - Mezzanine (or something), but I feel it is a bit too lengthy for my taste.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read this, I hope that you can 'analyse' my taste with the list provided.
icon10.gif

May 25, 2005 at 5:35 PM Post #2 of 16
Interesting vocal classical music, which is pretty accessable for someone new to classical, would be Carmina Burana (you hear the intro to it on all those movie previews). Next would be the Mozart Requiem, particularly the Dias Erie movement (the day of wrath). Beethoven's 9th symphony, the last movement, is probably the most famous of all classical vocal music.

I thought the 6i's when I had them did very well with piano, so I'd recommend some solo piano too. Namely some beethoven piano sonata's, particularly the Pathetique, the Moonlight, and the Appassionata - I like Wilhelm Kempff a lot, although Ashkenazy or Pollini are very good too. Franz Liszt also has a very good solo piano sonata, lots of great recordings of that one, my favorite being Argerich's recording on DG. And the Goldberg Variations by Bach is also very good, I like Angela Hewitt in this, although Andras Schiff and Murray Perahia also have excellent recordings. For some really mellow stuff, check out Satie's solo piano music.

May 26, 2005 at 5:39 AM Post #4 of 16
Seeing as how you like Bjork, you might to try Collide. Her singing is just "whooaaa..." And the music's largely electronic. For some clips you could look it up over at CDBaby.com. They do ship overseas I know.

May 26, 2005 at 7:17 AM Post #6 of 16
on my ipod min + er6i and particularly enjoyable:
jeff buckley: grace
neil young
gould: goldberg variations
peggy lee
tony bennett/k.d.lang
mahler's second (bruno walter conducting)
slack key guitar vol. 2 (recent grammy for hawaiian music)
the best of caetano veloso

i have much more stuffed in, but these do get played a lot. (jeff buckley comes across especially well with the 6is.)

May 26, 2005 at 6:59 PM Post #7 of 16
brian eno's ambient music is astonishing on ety's.

brian eno:
ambient #4 on land
thursday afternoon
music for airports
shutov assembly

May 27, 2005 at 7:22 AM Post #10 of 16
If you like collide and Bjork, then you'll like Splashdown. get the album "blueshift", more upbeat electronic with some amazing female vocals. there was a thread about them here a while back. highly recommended

May 27, 2005 at 7:34 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
correction, eno's ambient music is astonishing.
smily_headphones1.gif

Any CD in particular?
etysmile.gif

EDIT:
NVM
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
brian eno's ambient music is astonishing on ety's.

brian eno:
ambient #4 on land
thursday afternoon
music for airports
shutov assembly

May 27, 2005 at 12:52 PM Post #12 of 16
Since the start of this thread i've added:
Chopin - Berceuse/Lullaby
Carmina Burana - Carl Orff - O Fortuna
Carmina Burana - Carl Orff - Fortune plango vulnera
Gorillaz - Feel Good Inc.

I'm gonna go check another CD shop tomorrow for the rest. Anything else someone wants to recommend before I leave?
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson
Interesting vocal classical music, which is pretty accessable for someone new to classical, would be Carmina Burana (you hear the intro to it on all those movie previews). Next would be the Mozart Requiem, particularly the Dias Erie movement (the day of wrath).

You mean, Dies Irae?

May 27, 2005 at 4:25 PM Post #15 of 16
Holst's "The Planets" is pretty cool, particularly the part titled "Mars - bringer of War". Also, the opening movement of Strauss' "Thus Sprach Zarathustra", which you've undoubtedly heard (it was used in the movie 2001: A Space Oddysey).

For music that is more weird/crazy, check out Bartok's Piano concertos (usually all 3 come on 1 disk), or the Shostakovich String Quartet #8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back