Recommendation: really open back cans for movies
Nov 1, 2009 at 10:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

nightanole

100+ Head-Fier
Title says it all. I have 4 large bookshelf speakers, dedicated sub, and onkyo 696 receiver for a pc setup. This is abit much so i would like to switch to cans. Right now i have some grado 60's (very clear, no bass) and some maudio Q40's (nice over all, closed though) a mini3 amp, and various usb dacs.

Im looking for some theatre cans with lots of bass that are very open back so i can here everything around me just like i was listening to my book shelfs. I would also like fabric pads, not leather. Budget is about $200. I thought about getting some grado 224s, but it seems the consensus that all grados sound about the same.

Nov 1, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by nightanole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Title says it all. I have 4 large bookshelf speakers, dedicated sub, and onkyo 696 receiver for a pc setup. This is abit much so i would like to switch to cans. Right now i have some grado 60's (very clear, no bass) and some maudio Q40's (nice over all, closed though) a mini3 amp, and various usb dacs.

Im looking for some theatre cans with lots of bass that are very open back so i can here everything around me just like i was listening to my book shelfs. I would also like fabric pads, not leather. Budget is about $200. I thought about getting some grado 224s, but it seems the consensus that all grados sound about the same.

The Q40s have massive amounts of bass, if you consider that neutral then you are going to have a heck of a time finding open cans with that level of bass.

The only thing I can think of that might come close are the HD650s with a nice amp. Other than that, keep listening to the SR-60s until you get used to their bass.

Nov 1, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #4 of 7
I can't think of an open headphone that has massive bass in an open design. I just sold a pair of Phillips HP910's, they are a bassy headphone with an open design that might do the trick but they are pretty cheap and I don't know whether the rest of their sound would be what you want. Otherwise most open headphones in your price range do not have that much bass. The cool thing with the HP910 is they can be bought for around $35US so if they are not what you want at least they haven't broken the bank in the process. Comfort wise they are very comfortable and do have a cloth headcover BTW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back