recommendation needed
Jun 22, 2002 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

BoardC3

500+ Head-Fier
Hey i need a recommendation for headphones. I listen to mostly acoustic rock some dave mathews some chili peppers but then i also listen to just about everything else excluding country and classic. I had the Sennheiser 580s but didnt like them that much because they were so laid back that i could fall asleep listening to hard rock so those are up on Ebay right now ending in under 2 days. I also have some Grado SR-60 which i LOVE for the money but im looking for something more. i need something with good highs and now i need good bass because ive been spoiled by my new velodyne subwoofer to the point that i cant listen to rap on my headphones. Theres no where around me that i can test out any high end headphones but i dont mind buying and selling things on ebay just to try. I really need something that will have a lot of impact and keep my attention unlike the sennheiser's. i have a spending limit of about $400 for headphones + amp. I'm kind of considering Stax SRM-001 Mk. II and etymotics and grado 225 or 325s but I REALLY need some suggestions because ive only heard SR-60's, Senn 580's, and some stantons (which SUCK if anyone was wondering) for high end headphones.

Jun 22, 2002 at 11:42 PM Post #2 of 14
Stax... wouldn't they be the opposite of what you want... being conservative with the bass?

I'd say the Grados, IIRC Headroom say that the SR225s are great for rock ~ that being said, the SR325s are nearly always well reviewed here

The only real headphones with 'sub-like' bass though, are a step in the wrong direction, with the likes of the V6... I'm sure you don't want to go backwards... do you?

Jun 22, 2002 at 11:49 PM Post #3 of 14
you obviously havent heard any velodynes before. this is tight musical bass that when well incorporated in a speaker system is just incredible. its just so accurate and tight its really pretty incredible unlike the cerwin vegas that youve probably heard that are loud and distorted and horrid to listen to. But thanks alot for your opinion and im looking forward to seeing more opinions.

Jun 23, 2002 at 1:17 AM Post #4 of 14
What about beyer 770 pros? I here they have slamming bass.. I haven't heard them though
frown.gif

Biggie.

Jun 23, 2002 at 1:43 AM Post #5 of 14
Thanks but what i meant was that i couldnt stand the bass on the SR-60 because it was basically not there. I dont want soemthing thats just known for the bass it just has to have decent bass.

Jun 23, 2002 at 1:58 AM Post #6 of 14
Duncan meant the V6 are a 'step in the wrong direction' in terms of price only -- they're down the ladder from what you have, at about $60-65. But they are generally regarded to have some of the most accurate and deep bass around. Personally, I wouldn't recommend them for hip-hop, though, because their bass is not present enough ... it kind of lurks under the highs and mids.

Besides the V6, I own the Grado SR80, which are supposedly very similar to the SR60, but with more and better bass. I prefer the bass on the SR80 to the V6. From what I've heard, I'd second Duncan on moving up the Grado line. That's what I plan to do eventually.

Also see if you can find someone who's heard the Beyerdynamic 770, as NotoriousBIG_PJ suggested. They reportedly have very present bass, though perhaps a bit muddy.

kerelybonto

Jun 23, 2002 at 2:09 AM Post #7 of 14
The only thing I can add is with respect to the Etymotics. While I really enjoy the bass they provide, they certainly don't have the impact that you're probably used to with the subwoofer (even for headphones). As others have said, it's bass you hear, not feel.

Jun 23, 2002 at 2:14 AM Post #8 of 14
Thanks everyone for the suggestions after hearing all of you and doing a little more research ive decided that the grado SR-325 is DEFINITELY the way to go. Its supposed to be the 225 but more airy and much better bass. i love how airy the sr-60s sound so the bigger metallic chamber just sounds incredible to me.

now the next step which amp (under $400 new) will be best for this. Im looking for clear and crisp and no tubes because i dont want the high and low end roll-off.
Thanks everyone again.

Jun 23, 2002 at 2:32 AM Post #10 of 14
Beyer 770pros have excellent bass response, with the right amp it's even better. They tend to be a little laid back in the vocal range, but are pretty clean across the rest of the range.

The DT531s might also be suitable, they don't have quite the bass response that the 770s have, but they're definately not lacking bass, and they're a little more forward without the laid back vocals. They also have a wider soundstage and better instrument separation IMHO.

See if you can get a listen to both
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 23, 2002 at 2:37 AM Post #11 of 14
again i wanted to say IVE DECIDED ON THE GRADO SR-325 but thanks again everyone. now i need an amp to power this. any1 use this with a grado RA-1?

Jun 23, 2002 at 4:27 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by BoardC3
again i wanted to say IVE DECIDED ON THE GRADO SR-325 but thanks again everyone. now i need an amp to power this. any1 use this with a grado RA-1?

Hehe I've got grado rs1's on the way.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll probubly get a custom maxed out meta42 as an amp to power the phones. I've read that the ra-1 is a very neutral amp. It just lets the source pass through so the better the equipment, the better it sounds.
smily_headphones1.gif

Biggie.

Jun 23, 2002 at 5:38 AM Post #13 of 14
I wouldn't get the Grado RA-1 if you're looking for bass. The Grado RA-1 is very good in many areas, but it doesn't have "slam" in the bass. Go for one of the Headroom amps, or go for a META42.

Jun 23, 2002 at 6:32 AM Post #14 of 14
Hey Board!

I think the 325s are the right choice. I love my 125s for rock, and they have excellent bass. The 325s sound even better, and you will not be disappointed with the bass. However, if you're spending roughly $300 on those, according to your posted budget you're left with roughly $100 for an amp? That's not too much!

Given that budget, I would recommend the Headroom Airhead; it has nice bass extension and should give Grados an ample power boost. It goes for $100 if you also buy the cans from Headroom as well. For $100, this is about your only option unless you want to get a JMT custom amp...If your budget is higher, I'd say get a Headroom Little ($260) or an ASL MG Head tube amp ($300, I think!)

good luck with your shopping!

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back