Recommendation Needed for Closed, Detailed Oriented Cans
Apr 30, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arcfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should have my Moon Audio modified 750s in a couple of weeks so I will keep you guys posted on the results. If I could just smooth out the highs and add some more clarity/weight in the midrange I think I would reach "audio nirvana....." for the time being :>

good luck with it! can't wait to hear how they are.

Apr 30, 2007 at 6:36 PM Post #17 of 32
I am curious about the Sony CD3000s. Given my system configuration (iMod + Hornet) any thoughts on how they might compare to either the Ultrasone Proline 750s or Edition 9s as? Again, looking for the highs and midrange to have a similar sonic signature to the Etymotic ER4Ps.
Thanks

May 1, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #18 of 32
Are you looking for studio-monitoring-stye detail? If so, the Sony 7506 are industry standard (V6 is consumer equivalent), though I don't they're quite non-fatiguing. Similar would be the ATH-M40fs. Sorry, I wish I knew the models you refered to in your original post.

May 1, 2007 at 5:22 AM Post #20 of 32
I second the recommendation for the Edition 9. Excellent all-around IMO.

May 1, 2007 at 6:11 AM Post #21 of 32
Yup Edition 9s are true closed phones unlike the Denon which isn't nearly as awesome in isolation etc. They are good sounding cans with great detail and a top notch bass. I felt they were comfortable though others have felt otherwise to some degree... Not my bag though personally ;p I think I'm mostly an open can guy
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2007 at 3:53 PM Post #22 of 32
Which Denon's were you referring to? As Icarium said, if I can get the sound quality I am looking for in a closed can that would be preferable.

Does everyone agree that the Edition 9s have a more refined top end (more fogiving) than the Proline 750s?

Thanks

May 1, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arcfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which Denon's were you referring to? As Icarium said, if I can get the sound quality I am looking for in a closed can that would be preferable.

Does everyone agree that the Edition 9s have a more refined top end (more fogiving) than the Proline 750s?

Thanks

Denon D5000, 1/3 of Edition 9 price. Some posted impressions from international meeting indicate that they are same ball pack cans. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...&postcount=496
D2000 even cheaper at $300, check comparison thread on two.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=237936

May 1, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #24 of 32
The D5000 has too much bass IMO for a detailed-orientated headphone. I found that it covered up too much of the detail and clarity.

May 1, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The D5000 has too much bass IMO for a detailed-orientated headphone. I found that it covered up too much of the detail and clarity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a few hours with the AH-D5000 this weekend. It belonged to a friend that purchased a pair on impulse impulse; tried it; thought it didn't suit him; and sold it. Fortunately though it gave me the opportunity to give it a test run. Bear in mind, I think it hadn't more than 20 hours use so those burn-in believers (of which I am one) can take the comments with a slight pinch of salt
cool.gif

From my experience with D2000 the bass significantly tames down with burn in.

May 1, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #26 of 32
Andrew_WOT;2920824 said:
Denon D5000, 1/3 of Edition 9 price. Some posted impressions from international meeting indicate that they are same ball pack cans. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...&postcount=496

i could not find any but wondered if there were other impressions posted besides this one that put them in the same ball park?

May 1, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #27 of 32
Thanks for the insights into the Denon models!

From what I gathered from the reviews, the Denon's provide a lot off bass and are not too great with isolation.
Would be interested in how the bass compares to the Proline 750s (which I find to be perfect for me). I also read the 750s provide better isolation....

Still curious if everyone agrees the Edition 9 top end is smoother than the 750s. Even though it is a lot more $, it may be a better match for my requirments? This is an interesting trade...and I am still looking forward to see how the Moon Audio cable mod performs on my 750s....

May 1, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #28 of 32
Denon D2000 has more textured and detailed than PL750 bass, in fact it was the best bass I've ever heard out of cans, quality and quantity wise. It was a little overcooked out of the box but after some burn in get down to HD650 level. But you are right, isolation might not be their strongest point. Same applies to W5000, which are super detailed cans.

May 1, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #29 of 32
Analog'd, Interesting comment from raiff on the edition 9 vs. D5000. Currious that he thought they were a lot brighter than the D5000s. Were the edition 9s properly burned in? As you said, would be interesting to hear others impressions as well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back