Recommendation LG Smartphone as music player
Feb 12, 2020 at 6:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

ameo

New Head-Fier
HI, - as a Apple user, I am not familiar with the Android universe.
I look for an older LG smartphone. Will not use it for calls, just as a music player. I would like to install the Poweramp App and add a Audio Dragon Fly Cobalt.
Which LG smartphone (with SD Card extention) could you recommend for my needs?
Thanks a lot for any answer

Feb 14, 2020 at 12:23 AM Post #2 of 19
Really any of them. Don't need the Dragonfly imo. These phones sound excellent, and have plenty of power for portable headphones, and then some. V30 would probably be the best option at a reasonable price

Feb 14, 2020 at 12:40 AM Post #3 of 19
Or, get a nice G7 or G8 and use it with high quality wireless headphones and the phones have Bluetooth 5 and fantastic Codec support. Don't believe any of the talk that wireless somehow sounds worse than wired, not true with well done wireless, and I have owned and own several nice examples of both. If you then want to add more capability for whatever reason, DAC/amp combinations like the FiiO Q5s for example can also be used wirelessly with the phone. Really great audio systems can be anchored now with wireless.

Feb 14, 2020 at 12:55 AM Post #4 of 19
And if you prefer SQ over UI use one of the following:
USB Audio Player Pro
Onkyo HF
Neutron MP
HibyMusic

They communicate directly to your phone's internal or external DAC.

Feb 14, 2020 at 3:41 AM Post #5 of 19
Thanks a lot. Very kind. This helps me a lot.
Talking about a player... no phone use: As the prices of G7/8 and V30 are not so far away from each other: Is there a difference between the G and V-Series?
Thanks

Feb 14, 2020 at 4:53 AM Post #6 of 19
Per SQ, V-Series is a notch higher and has more following.

I have an old V20 and still wont part with it since it has still a removable battery.

What I do is this:
In my everyday commuting/traveling I use my V20 + IEM.
Just want to hear good music. With all the noise and distractions I doubt you could be that critical on what you are listening.
If you want a better SQ, say in your office or in a hotel out of town, that is where you're external DAC/Amp come into play.

But why a separate player if you can connect your Dragonfly Cobalt (or any other portable DAC) from a USB adapter to your Iphone?

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #7 of 19
Thanks a lot. Very kind. This helps me a lot.
Talking about a player... no phone use: As the prices of G7/8 and V30 are not so far away from each other: Is there a difference between the G and V-Series?
Thanks
Not likely any sound quality difference, I would be shocked beyond belief if in level matched, blind listening tests anybody, and I mean anybody could hear the difference. Like the other poster suggested, different player software is worth considering. I use Onkyo HF player and have used Neutron in the past, but have settled on HF Player for simplicity. Both are excellent choices. Do remember that we are seeing the ascension of Bluetooth and there are several fabulous Bluetooth headphones perfectly capable of critical listening quality so if portability is any part of your criteria, wireless should really be part of the equation, IMO, nothing more, nothing less. Good luck however you go, please update the thread so we know what you land on. Cheers.

Feb 14, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #9 of 19
Just know these phones are great for their ui as smart phones.

But you'll only have a smart phone's battery life.

Anyone know which model is best in terms of soc efficiency/battery?

Feb 14, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #10 of 19
But why a separate player if you can connect your Dragonfly Cobalt (or any other portable DAC) from a USB adapter to your Iphone?
Cause I love to have all my music with me and the Iphone has a, in comparison to the SD-Card extention of the LG phone, small storage.

Feb 14, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #11 of 19
Not necessarily better, but different. V series have been hand tuned, G series have not to the best of my knowledge. My 30 was tuned by Beoplay, while my 40 was tuned by Meridian Audio. I can hear differences, and most 40 owners can as well. Both do some things better than the other. Between the G7 and V40, I'd likely grab which ever one I can find in the best condition at the best price. As a phone is a little different story.

Feb 14, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #12 of 19
Not necessarily better, but different. V series have been hand tuned, G series have not to the best of my knowledge. My 30 was tuned by Beoplay, while my 40 was tuned by Meridian Audio. I can hear differences, and most 40 owners can as well. Both do some things better than the other. Between the G7 and V40, I'd likely grab which ever one I can find in the best condition at the best price. As a phone is a little different story.
Possibly, but you can bet every owner of those V series phones were aware of the tuning before they bought the phone, they would have read many comments and impressions telling them that there is a difference. It should be no surprise that people then hear the difference. I would still bet that in level matched, blind listening trials people could not reliably tell them apart. Ultimately it doesn't matter, all these options sound great, it will be the other aspects that matter most, size in hand, screen quality, UI speed, battery life etc.

Feb 14, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #13 of 19
Possibly, but you can bet every owner of those V series phones were aware of the tuning before they bought the phone, they would have read many comments and impressions telling them that there is a difference. It should be no surprise that people then hear the difference. I would still bet that in level matched, blind listening trials people could not reliably tell them apart. Ultimately it doesn't matter, all these options sound great, it will be the other aspects that matter most, size in hand, screen quality, UI speed, battery life etc.
Well spoken. Can't agree more.
Pick whatever LG Phone you like more. In terms of sq they're very equal to each other. :wink:

Feb 14, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #14 of 19
Not the case. Hop on over to the dedicated V40 thread. Going through the V series is a pretty normal progression. I had no idea the tuning had changed when I made the phone upgrade. And quite frankly, I didn't really care at the time. Upon 1st listen, it was fairly obvious that the tuning had changed. The V30 is more aggressive, forward, and less technical. The 40 gives better details with a smoother sound. I sum it up as attack vs decay. Are they two completely different sources, nope. But the tuning is much more than barely detectable. Some members made the switch based on the thread, and some chose not to. I currently use my 40 as my phone, and also have a 30 for one of my portable sources. Using the same very familiar cans with both phones, it's different. And you don't even need supersonic hearing to discover it. As for the other LG phones, I agree - I doubt there is a discernable difference. Mostly because their likely isn't, and no others have been tuned by a professional audio company. Have you spent much time with both of these phones??

Feb 23, 2020 at 3:47 AM Post #15 of 19
Good luck however you go, please update the thread so we know what you land on. Cheers.

OK, here is what I did:
For me, (I am a special case, as I am def on one ear) I bought a Fiio M11Pro and a Sennheiser Momentum Wireless.
My dad got himself the LG V40, which he runs with his old Denon AH-D5000.
We are just :darthsmile: and would like to say "Thank you" for the help we received in this kind community.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back