Recommendation Laptop upto £1000
Aug 13, 2018 at 2:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

hag6

100+ Head-Fier
Hi I am considering buying a laptop to be at the heart of my audio chain linked to ifi idsd using foobar2000. What are the key components to consider.. Can anyone recommend a current model that is providing good results as a music server,

Many thanks

Aug 13, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #2 of 5
With the external amp/DAC and internal/external storage being the only primary factors, the conclusion here is that the question is moot.

In other words, in this day and age, as long as you have a low-end dedicated audio card or external DAC combined with even a low-end PC/laptop, you will be able to play high-resolution audio files: it makes little to no difference which laptop you chose.

All integrated audio solutions on laptops are at a basic level, and serious audiophiles should consider upgrading to an external USB/DAC source - even a simple PCM2704 DAC can give a cleaner and more powerful signal than on-board audio, although this is usually more noticeable in desktop PCs which suffer more from electronic interference.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #4 of 5
Don't buy it. I used laptops for years thinking they were fine. They have issues, namely the screen. Power used for the screen usually does have an impact on the overall sound quality. You will not hear it as a buzz or hash but rather in comparison to a desktop without a built in screen it will sound a bit harder and less natural. I did find a bit of relief when I used the win settings to power off the screen after a fews minutes, but really it does not sound quite as good as a desktop. Differences are small and to many who have not compared the two formats maybe not even relevant. YMMV.

Another big factor is to use whatever you buy as a dedicated audio computer, do not use it to surf the internet while listening.

And ditto to what @GREQ posted.

Aug 18, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #5 of 5
Don't buy it. I used laptops for years thinking they were fine. They have issues, namely the screen. Power used for the screen usually does have an impact on the overall sound quality. You will not hear it as a buzz or hash but rather in comparison to a desktop without a built in screen it will sound a bit harder and less natural. I did find a bit of relief when I used the win settings to power off the screen after a fews minutes, but really it does not sound quite as good as a desktop. Differences are small and to many who have not compared the two formats maybe not even relevant. YMMV.

Another big factor is to use whatever you buy as a dedicated audio computer, do not use it to surf the internet while listening.

And ditto to what @GREQ posted.

Thanks for such a detailed and insightful response. Guess I will stick to and upgrade my current desktop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back